Old Guard?

L.S. Dennis

Not much is heard of these day about what I consider the ‘old guard’ of pool players. By old guard I’m referring to those older than Johnny Archer. Johnny is kind of the middle point between them and what is considered the new generation in pool these days.

Anyone know what these guys are doing these days? Just wondering…

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not much is heard of these day about what I consider the ‘old guard’ of pool players. By old guard I’m referring to those older than Johnny Archer. Johnny is kind of the middle point between them and what is considered the new generation in pool these days.

Anyone know what these guys are doing these days? Just wondering…
Archer and his new room venture has been covered a lot here recently. He doesn't play much anymore. Most guys his age or older don't compete much, Earl probably being the main exception.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Archer and his new room venture has been covered a lot here recently. He doesn't play much anymore. Most guys his age or older don't compete much, Earl probably being the main exception.
Even Earl rarely enters tournaments now. Hopefully we’ll see some of the “old guard” return to tournament play soon. Looks like Ernesto Dominguez played in the Arizona tournament

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that Archer still is quite active playing, not just tournaments but $$ action, and Earl as well.

L.S. Dennis

Years ago Miz organized an organized ‘seniors’s tour, wouldn’t it be nice if something like that were to be done again.
I don’t what kind of shape those guys are in but I’m sure they could still play pretty well. I’m thinking Rempe, Varner, Hall, Sigel, and Earl just to name a few. Maybe Efren could even to fly over for just such an event!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago Miz organized an organized ‘seniors’s tour, wouldn’t it be nice if something like that were to be done again.
I don’t what kind of shape those guys are in but I’m sure they could still play pretty well. I’m thinking Rempe, Varner, Hall, Sigel, and Earl just to name a few. Maybe Efren could even to fly over for just such an event!
I don’t know if Rempe plays at all any more. Hall got really overweight- don’t know if he’s lost some recently.

efren, Earl, Sigel, and Varner can still play- would love to see a seniors tournament with those guys and archer, Dominguez, and bustamante

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know if Rempe plays at all any more. Hall got really overweight- don’t know if he’s lost some recently.

efren, Earl, Sigel, and Varner can still play- would love to see a seniors tournament with those guys and archer, Dominguez, and bustamante
I like remebering them at the top of their games. Watching them play so-so/bad has zero interest for me.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The "old guard" is the group that I grew up with, some who came after me. The smart ones are well retired and the other ones are hanging on by a thread. Some of course have already gone to the happy hunting ground and are waiting for me there. I don't plan on joining them anytime soon though. Fortunately, thanks to Pat Fleming and Accu-Stats, you can still see many of them while they were still playing at or near their peak form. Personally I have DVD's of Sigel, Hopkins, Mark Jarvis and David Howard in their prime. And probably the sole DVD of the great Jean Balukas in an epic match with Ewa Mataya. Or you can go to YouTube and plug in a name like Mike Sigel, Nick Varner, Allen Hopkins, Buddy Hall or Jim Rempe and see what comes up. :unsure:

L.S. Dennis

I like remebering them at the top of their games. Watching them play so-so/bad has zero interest for me.
You are no doubt correct in implying that these guys would be no where near where they once were, one only would have to look at them on Accu-stats to see how they once played. eBut but make no mistake about it they would still have their competitive nature if they were to match up again after all these years.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many former great players still alive and in their late 60s and into their 70s. As a 68 year old in excellent shape who still competes in tournaments at times, let me give you some perspective :

eyesight should not be an issue as much today as modern technology can make almost anyone 20/20 at any age if they desire ( cataracts are a factor though, as they must be diagnosed to be treated);

any degree of arthritis in knees, back, hips, shoulders, hands will usually increase to varying degrees with age;

physical strength, unless they are able or willing to be in a gym with weights a few days a week will diminish,

longer term stamina and focus abilities will also diminish with age

weight gain is difficult to stave off with age

They might be OK if they stayed in a winner's bracket to the very end of a tournament, but going into the losers bracket early will test the stamina of anyone 50+ in age - just too long a grind from that point to the end.

Some may disagree, but the proliferation now of Diamond pro cut pockets in most pro tournaments may be the nail in the coffin for older players of any speed who spent most of their life competing on 4 3/4 to 5 inch pockets on tables that did not demand perfect strokes. Just look at tournament videos from 1980 to 2000 and the table pocket size was much larger and the speed off the rails was easier to manage without a perfect stroke.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "old guard" is the group that I grew up with, some who came after me. The smart ones are well retired and the other ones are hanging on by a thread. Some of course have already gone to the happy hunting ground and are waiting for me there. I don't plan on joining them anytime soon though. Fortunately, thanks to Pat Fleming and Accu-Stats, you can still see many of them while they were still playing at or near their peak form. Personally I have DVD's of Sigel, Hopkins, Mark Jarvis and David Howard in their prime. And probably the sole DVD of the great Jean Balukas in an epic match with Ewa Mataya. Or you can go to YouTube and plug in a name like Mike Sigel, Nick Varner, Allen Hopkins, Buddy Hall or Jim Rempe and see what comes up. :unsure:
How about the super senior old guard that competed 60+ years ago? Is there anyone still out there other than Ray Martin and Danny DiLiberto?

middleofnowhere

Registered

I agree, I don't see the incentive in once great players wanting to become novelties and that is what old timer games are. I think most prefer to be remembered as they were.
I remember an interview with Mickey Mantel after an old-timers game. A ball had been hit his way and he took out after it. It dropped a good 20 feet from him as he was still running. He said in the interview " I thought I had it".

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that Archer still is quite active playing, not just tournaments but $$ action, and Earl as well.
Johnny Archer was in some big action with Oscar Dominguez about 6 months ago in Las Vegas

archerppv.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about the super senior old guard that competed 60+ years ago? Is there anyone still out there other than Ray Martin and Danny DiLiberto?
Damn, I wish you wouldn't remind me that I'm the old guard now, pool's oldest remaining generation. Up until recently Marshall (Squirrel) Carpenter and Junior Goff were still alive. They were a full generation ahead of me. Ray and Danny are the Senior's Emeritus now. I can't think of any others like them in their 80's. I did think of one more from their era. The old time hustler Richard "Bucktooth" Cook. He is still alive and well.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been a while since Accu Stats has put together a "Make It Happen" event. Perhaps they could invite 6 guys over 60 for a round robin tournament: Earl (just turned 60), Efren (66), Ernesto Dominguez (66), Sigel (69), Parica (72), and Varner (73).

True, they won't be a good as their primes, but I'd watch it- to see some of my old favorites play and to see how well past greats can play at a relatively advanced age. Perhaps to make the conditions a bit more conducive to good play they could make the pockets a bit more generous- like 5 inches or so.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been a while since Accu Stats has put together a "Make It Happen" event. Perhaps they could invite 6 guys over 60 for a round robin tournament: Earl (just turned 60), Efren (66), Ernesto Dominguez (66), Sigel (69), Parica (72), and Varner (73).

True, they won't be a good as their primes, but I'd watch it- to see some of my old favorites play and to see how well past greats can play at a relatively advanced age. Perhaps to make the conditions a bit more conducive to good play they could make the pockets a bit more generous- like 5 inches or so.

they did one with sigel and pearl some years ago, it was an ok watch but not great