Old Schons

steniacho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim was great guy and had some quality offerings. I have a fond memory of him helping my wife pick out a cue. He spent a good 45-60 minutes on the process; bringing out about 5 cues at a time, letting her try them out, then swapping out the ones she didn't like to fine-tune the result. Absolutely no pressure or up-sell, just a genuine desire to find the right cue for her tastes.

Later on I picked up a "Superior" shaft on a visit to his shop. Made by Runde and came from old growth wood which was salvaged from the bottom of Lake Superior.

Attachments

• 61AE341PA7L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61AE341PA7L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 90

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the R-Series cues. Here’s my main player. 60” R10.
I bought that model brand new in about 1985.
59" 2 shafts with Ivory ferules.
I paid a dealer $525.00 for it at a time when Szamboti's basic cue was $425.00 with the same specs.
The only thing I didn't like about was it was 21 OZ.
I sold it about 2 years later and bought a Meucci and that turned out to be a bone headed move on my part.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the lower end Schon R series. Some of the best players are the simple R1's. Hard to beat an all maple cue. I still own several but they hardly ever see the light of day anymore. My all time favorite is the R7. I looked for years but never came across one that met my standards. They always had something slightly wrong.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim was great guy and had some quality offerings. I have a fond memory of him helping my wife pick out a cue. He spent a good 45-60 minutes on the process; bringing out about 5 cues at a time, letting her try them out, then swapping out the ones she didn't like to fine-tune the result. Absolutely no pressure or up-sell, just a genuine desire to find the right cue for her tastes.

Later on I picked up a "Superior" shaft on a visit to his shop. Made by Runde and came from old growth wood which was salvaged from the bottom of Lake Superior.

I loved going to BnB years ago. I bicycle by the old shop once a week. Around a month ago I was on a bike ride and my GF and I stopped at a cemetery next to the Spring Water Corridor Trail. We were checking out old tombstones and low and behold, I noticed Jim’s face inscribed on his. He was a great guy.

Back to Schon’s, I’ve had a few Runde era, a few Evan and a Runde Runde. I dig the old R’s, but probably the best playing Schon was a Runde Era CNC SL-22 with a micarta ferrule, which happen to be at Jim’s.

This is my only Runde era Schon, though it is CNC. One micarta ferrule and one ivory.

7u0CL4B.jpg

BiV2hoc.jpg

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like Billiards N' Bagels had a boatload of nice cues come through. I would've liked to have met and chatted with Jim.
Jim had everything from Dufferins to SW, Schon, Runde, Black, Coker, McWorter, Jacoby, Joss, and a plethora of other cues that I can’t recall. The only thing I have left from his shop is a pair of water Buffalo horn joint protectors that Bob Runde made and a lot of memories.