Old Unidentifiable Palmer heading off into the sunset

our_auctionguy

The Wall.....
Silver Member
I picked up this old palmer with a foil sticker on it a few years back and have presented it a couple times here for identification and sale. No one could positively say they had seen one like it.
pics are at:

http://ourauctionguy.com/pics/palmer/

So today, I removed the linen wrap and it is one solid piece of highly figured dark rosewood from butt to joint and the linen is white with green specks Cortland like the old fishing line . The rosewood appears it could be Brazilian as well.

Since I have had no one interested in the cue as a collectiblein the past, even though it is an extremely rare Palmer, I will be looking around to have a custom maker take this beautiful piece of rosewood and build a modern cue out of it. the question then becomes... preserve the sticker and plain jane look or lose it's Palmer identity altogether by losing the foil sticker and completely refinish?

As it is... it plays really solid . The Butt alone weighs a whopping 18.0 oz.

Suggestions? Offers?
 
when you say "make a modern cue out of it", what performance enhancements do you envision? Lighten the weight, balance, etc?
 
KoolKat9Lives said:
when you say "make a modern cue out of it", what performance enhancements do you envision? Lighten the weight, balance, etc?
Probably going to retrofit the joint as a sleeved solid 3/8-11 or flat acme 3/8-10. Maple handle (wrapped or unwrapped. Ringwork abcde.

Of course the weight is going to get reduced to around 15.0 oz for the butt.
 
our_auctionguy said:
Probably going to retrofit the joint as a sleeved solid 3/8-11 or flat acme 3/8-10. Maple handle (wrapped or unwrapped. Ringwork abcde.

Of course the weight is going to get reduced to around 15.0 oz for the butt.

Interesting... I have an old (what I was told when I bought it in '74) Palmer, and it's pretty darn heavy. My butt weighs 17 ounces (and I try to keep it away from fast food). Being it's the only cue I have ever used, I don't know how much performance I may be sacrificing by using it, if any. There's a weight in the butt, maybe I should pull it... I park it every day on the treadmill, I swear I do, but it still has cellulite. Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'd be interested in learning from your experience if you're inclined to share.

Thanks,

Matt
 
KoolKat9Lives said:
Interesting... I have an old (what I was told when I bought it in '74) Palmer, and it's pretty darn heavy. My butt weighs 17 ounces (and I try to keep it away from fast food). Being it's the only cue I have ever used, I don't know how much performance I may be sacrificing by using it, if any. There's a weight in the butt, maybe I should pull it... I park it every day on the treadmill, I swear I do, but it still has cellulite. Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'd be interested in learning from your experience if you're inclined to share.

Thanks,

Matt
This one has a weight in it as well at thhvery end of the butt that has a 3/16" hex slot and weighs .65 oz. The cue plays great, but I just feel that sine no one wants it as a collectible, why not get some use out of the beautiful wood in a more modern playing cue. I might preserve the foild sticker just as proof one did exist. I only have $150 in it. Not bad for something no one has seen before.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top