Older Pool Halls

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The same story here, except my old pool hall in rural Kentucky opened in the 20's, or 30's and I think closed in the mid 90. Practically all small towns had a hall like that. It was where the tobacco workers and the local boys would congregate on rainy days. On Saturdays it was the place to be, while the wives and kids went to the town square to shop, the husbands and older boys went to the pool hall to socialize, eat a famous cheeseburger, wash it down with a Ski Cola, and last but not least, get in on a little high stakes rotation on the front table. (LOL Hey it was high stakes for a kid cutting lawns at 4 bucks a pop).

Funny you mention Ski Cola, I’m drinking a Double Cola right now!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueball.jpg
Cue Ball. DOB 1962. One owner.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn’t Boone where all the skiing is located? My kids keep bugging me to take them there. It would give me something to do while they’re out breaking knees and wrists.
Yes, excellent skiing - especially this winter!

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Chattanooga Billiards Club opened in the fall of 1982 in downtown Chattanooga on the second floor of a building on a one-way street with no parking and are still going strong. https://www.cbceast.com/ This has a tour.

Csim

This thread needs too keep going.

I have been to the Chattanooga billiard club downtown by accident. We were up at blue ridge made it over there. Driving by i saw it, dropped my wife and kids off at a park by the river and went.

It was early afternoon, nobody playing but still cool. I would never guess it opened in the 80s. I would have bet it was a century old.

Also went to a room in millidgeville Ga. Same brick building style, but didn't have the allure of Chattanooga.

Love these threads. Anybody else got some great places????

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that Jack n Jills in Brewster NY may still be open- goes back to at least early 1960s

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its those damn two lane black tops, again. You don't get to see much from an interstate. For example, I've driven the Parkway/Skyway at least six times in my lifetime. When I go Northeast, I hit the Natchez Trace asap. Costs a few hours but . . .

I can't remember how many times I have hit the trace, a bunch! Wanted to organize a trail ride on a chunk of it but one of those things I never got around to trying. Me and my neighbor took our families up the trace from the bottom to Nashville, took us fourteen hours! Yeah, we made a lot of stops. Good times and good memories.

Chris, I didn't realize I was cheek and jowl with Cedartown Georgia. I would have had to pass through just to see what Waylon was singing about.

Hu

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Owners make all the difference in the world. In the past twenty years, I observed a great poolhall, Jim Bob's, deteriorate to near oblivion. Same place, same equipment, same food -- just different owners and personnel. First owners were great -- understood pool and pool players. The second owner probably had what it took, and, with time, might have made it. Present owner really did not want a pool hall but seems afraid to abandon the plan -- just going to run it in the ground. Tables, once cleaned daily, have not seen a brush in months . . . truth is, I really do not want to give them my money, but if I want to play on good, though dirty, equipment I have no choice. Hell, they took Mike Surber's photograph off the wall. You cats with good owners and good rooms, count your blessings and be thankful for what you have. Foolishly, I never considered my pool room might implode and disappear, but it has.

Seeing the photos of the old places reassures me. Please keep them coming. If we accumulate sufficient facilities in proximity, we could consider creating pool hall "trails" (think Alabama's Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail https://www.rtjgolf.com/) which would promote these incredible facilities and put them on the map, literally and figuratively. The bottom line is that, if pool players are not informed as to what they are and where they are, they cannot utilize and enjoy them.

Last edited:

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Pinky’s in Turtle Creek outside of Pittsburgh is still in business when the owner feels like opening.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Owners make all the difference in the world. In the past twenty years, I observed a great poolhall, Jim Bob's, deteriorate to near oblivion. Same place, same equipment, same food -- just different owners and personnel. First owners were great -- understood pool and pool players. The second owner probably had what it took, and, with time, might have made it. Present owner really did not want a pool hall but seems afraid to abandon the plan -- just going to run it in the ground. Tables, once cleaned daily, have not seen a brush in months . . . truth is, I really do not want to give them my money, but if I want to play on good, though dirty, equipment I have no choice. Hell, they took Mike Surber's photgraph off the wall. You cats with good owners and good rooms, count your blessings and be thankful for what you have. Foolishly, I never considered my pool room might implode and disappear, but it has.

Seeing the photos of the old places reassures me. Please keep them coming. If we accumulate sufficient facilities in proximity, we could consider creating pool hall "trails" (think Alabama's Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail https://www.rtjgolf.com/) which would promote these incredible facilities and put them on the map, literally and figuratively. The bottom line is that, if pool players are not informed as to what they are and where they are, they cannot utilize and enjoy them.
Most of these are so few and far apart i really don't see a 'Old School Poolroom Trail' being really doable unless you really like to drive.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Mix them up with quality (but not "old") pool halls. Just a thought. You never know what will happen or what will work. Very few people thought "Cruising the Coast" would get legs, but it took off like a rocket and it now attracts folks from all over the country -- hard to believe the semis hauling old cars. Sad thing that we don't have a decent pool facility to offer old car enthusiasts when they come down.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Owners make all the difference in the world. In the past twenty years, I observed a great poolhall, Jim Bob's, deteriorate to near oblivion. Same place, same equipment, same food -- just different owners and personnel. First owners were great -- understood pool and pool players. The second owner probably had what it took, and, with time, might have made it. Present owner really did not want a pool hall but seems afraid to abandon the plan -- just going to run it in the ground. Tables, once cleaned daily, have not seen a brush in months . . . truth is, I really do not want to give them my money, but if I want to play on good, though dirty, equipment I have no choice. Hell, they took Mike Surber's photgraph off the wall. You cats with good owners and good rooms, count your blessings and be thankful for what you have. Foolishly, I never considered my pool room might implode and disappear, but it has.

There are all kinds of trails. I am near the bottom of The Blues Trail. It suffers from the same problem, most of the old time bluesmen are dead, others are very old. Best I can gather one sits in the corner of an old place most of the year then does one huge festival in europe a year where he is appreciated. Covid no doubt has him just sitting in his corner if he is still kicking. Trying to put together a pool trail featuring mostly old places but also some newer places with the right feel might be a winner. Buffalo was supposed to have a hearing I thought last Tuesday. I haven't noticed any news good or bad. Facebook seems to be the place to stay up to date but they decided I was a bot and I wasn't real crazy about facebook anyway.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are all kinds of trails. I am near the bottom of The Blues Trail. It suffers from the same problem, most of the old time bluesmen are dead, others are very old. Best I can gather one sits in the corner of an old place most of the year then does one huge festival in europe a year where he is appreciated. Covid no doubt has him just sitting in his corner if he is still kicking. Trying to put together a pool trail featuring mostly old places but also some newer places with the right feel might be a winner. Buffalo was supposed to have a hearing I thought last Tuesday. I haven't noticed any news good or bad. Facebook seems to be the place to stay up to date but they decided I was a bot and I wasn't real crazy about facebook anyway.

Hu
Once the covid-smoke clears there may be even fewer places left. Pool wasn't on real solid footing pre-covid and what the landscape will look like a year or two from now is anybody's guess.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Sorry, this one just died when original owner passed on. RIP, Nick
Great guy, really cared about his customers and made a point to connect.
Maybe someone will pick it up & re-open?

I used to go there often in the 90s....loved the place .....had Alex there playing straight pool with a guy from NYC.
...gave then a few pool size snooker balls for a local group game they played there.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here’s a place that seems to get overlooked....Peoples on Beale St...in downtown Memphis.
...every table is a gem....and they seem to make a living.
i didn’t know about the place in ‘89....and I caught Delbert McClinton live just around the corner.

4DF0D4A0-FC65-4776-8F50-D998374CCA5B.jpeg