Older Pool Halls

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice thread..whenever I've traveled the past few years, I've tried to visit old 'halls
not much for old pool still open in seattle, I don't think
the zoo's been around since the 70s..they have a few bar tables, and a snooker table

I know there's that goplaypool app (cool app btw)
but is there just a printable pool hall list out there?
maybe if we "pooled" our knowledge in a simpler way
it would make it easier for players to find the old spots

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Darn it, I was in KC a month ago and drove to Shooters for action. I would have at least played some there if I only knew.

It's a great room, here's an article about it:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
nice thread..whenever I've traveled the past few years, I've tried to visit old 'halls
not much for old pool still open in seattle, I don't think
the zoo's been around since the 70s..they have a few bar tables, and a snooker table

I know there's that goplaypool app (cool app btw)
but is there just a printable pool hall list out there?
maybe if we "pooled" our knowledge in a simpler way
it would make it easier for players to find the old spots
If folks keep sending them in, we can compile by state and ask Mike to do something with it. Plus I would like to see Pool Hall Trails by geographic areas if there are enough and owners want it.

It all depends upon everyone sending in these hidden treasures.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a great room, here's an article about it:

You hit on a ten footer awhile and you realize it is the size a table should be. Not so big you are always bridging but big enough to make you work. Banks roll a long long time too! Nice intimidation factor when a ball is rolling back under you and you don't bother looking as you are getting down on the next shot.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You hit on a ten footer awhile and you realize it is the size a table should be. Not so big you are always bridging but big enough to make you work. Banks roll a long long time too! Nice intimidation factor when a ball is rolling back under you and you don't bother looking as you are getting down on the next shot.

Hu
Minnesota Fats said they hurt the game when they moved it to a nine footer.
People that didn’t appreciate Fatty’s game are probably surprised he said that.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Minnesota Fats said they hurt the game when they moved it to a nine footer.
People that didn’t appreciate Fatty’s game are probably surprised he said that.

While Fatty wasn't the best in the world he tends to be sorely underrated here on AZB. Reports from those around him a good bit were that he could run eight and out as crisply as anybody if he got an opening playing one pocket. I noticed that he played the seven ball sets where you had to choose which side of the table you were putting the seven in at the beginning of the game pretty sporty! When he got dialed in on a table he was making balls disappear as fast as anybody while mesmerizing people with his mouth!

Fats was and is underrated. He didn't care though, that was how he got games he could win after people thought they were safe with their tournament winnings. When I was a very young man I didn't think much of his skills. A few years later when my own schtick was working pretty well I appreciated his a lot more. When Fats gave directions to his house he just got people on the right road and then said look for the house with the line of Cadillac's in the driveway. Very few in the pool world could give directions like that, maybe only one!

I respect Fats more every year. He was not only a master of his game, he was without serious contest The Master!

Hu

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
So far, so good:

Country Retreat Family Billiards & Grill Boone, NC
Cue and Cushion St. Louis, MO
Booches Columbia, MO
? Cedartown, GA
Metropolitan Billiard Parlor Morgantown, WV
Raytown Recreation KC/Raytown, MO
Southern Billiards Starkville, MS
The Cue Ball Salem, OR
Romine's Miwaukee, Wi
Chris's Chicago
Orton's Wilmington, NC
Chattanooga Billiards Club Chattanooga, TN
Jack n Jills Brewster, NY
Triangle Billiards Endicott, NY
Pinky’s Turtle Creek/Pittsburgh, PA
People's Memphis, TN
Chalk and Cue St Joe, MO
Joe Jost's Long Beach, CA

Got to be more. Please post them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far, so good:

Country Retreat Family Billiards & Grill Boone, NC
Cue and Cushion St. Louis, MO
Booches Columbia, MO
? Cedartown, GA
Metropolitan Billiard Parlor Morgantown, WV
Raytown Recreation KC/Raytown, MO
Southern Billiards Starkville, MS
The Cue Ball Salem, OR
Romine's Miwaukee, Wi
Chris's Chicago
Orton's Wilmington, NC
Chattanooga Billiards Club Chattanooga, TN
Jack n Jills Brewster, NY
Triangle Billiards Endicott, NY
Pinky’s Turtle Creek/Pittsburgh, PA
People's Memphis, TN
Chalk and Cue St Joe, MO
Joe Jost's Long Beach, CA

Got to be more. Please post them.
Mottey and J. White's place: http://www.breakersbilliardsandlounge.com/ Opened in '03 so not real old its still the best place in town.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
In my opinion, this thread has become one about quality and not age alone. Longevity is usually an indicator of quality, but it is not the only factor. But, it is not my thread -- it's y'alls. Even though y'all make me so jealous I could spit my eye teeth out, please keep posting, because it is reassuring to know such places exist.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to their FB page a new owner is in charge, Kris Peck is the name. Still open.

That's good news!
Though not sure what is open in NY with covid. I really missed pool but compensated this winter by getting back into skiing.
Just came past Endicott this evening on the way home from ski hill in PA, would have made a quick exit to check Triangle status if i had known. Thanks for the update.

smt

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lakewood Family Billiards been around since 1964. Still going. One of the products of the family billiards craze of late 50s early 60s. One of the owners from early 70s to 1999 I believe used to play pretty good and covered his own tables to boot. Among others, they have some ACME gold crown look-a-likes that have probably been there since they opened.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lakewood Family Billiards been around since 1964. Still going. One of the products of the family billiards craze of late 50s early 60s. One of the owners from early 70s to 1999 I believe used to play pretty good and covered his own tables to boot. Among others, they have some ACME gold crown look-a-likes that have probably been there since they opened.
Lakewood, Calif? Its currently closed iirc. Read that somewhere. UD: FB page says they're closed but may have new owners.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We opened in 1996 and are still going - 10 tables in a rural market, although this is a tourist area in the mountains, which helps. We don’t have alcohol, but our food and beverage operation amounts to 90+% of our sales.

A majority of our customers have never once played pool here - roughly half of that being take-out orders. If it weren’t for that, we would never have made it.

All the old time pool rooms in smaller towns in western NC ( virtually all of them had one or more rooms) have all closed up to my knowledge, without exception.

I stopped at your place 20 years ago and signed the guest book. I think you posted a lot on the Billiards Digest forum. Correct?

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Salem Oregon...State Street a bit west of the Capitol. (edit) EAST...I should have said East. Sorry.
Best place there is, been going there since I was a teenager. My grandfather bought a cue there in 1969, it's still in my mothers closet.

If you would like something nice to read, google "The Cueball Salem Oregon." Click on "BCA Magazine Salute to the Cueball" and read about one of the few people in the world who can outwork most of us.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Lakewood's Facebook page reads "Permanently Closed". Sadly, it seems Queen put the song out in 1980 -- "Another One Bites The Dust".

C'mon, folks, there has got to be more than submitted out there. Please send them in.

Last edited: