Olhausen Help!!!!

Poolshark16

Went to a store that is an Olhausen dealer today to buy the West End model table. Pockets looked a little tight and sure enough when measuring to their Durango model, pockets were 1/4” smaller. (Yes I know it’s a furniture table, but all my wife would agree to). Guy in store had no idea. Is this typical of Olhausen tables or just the way the store built it?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The typical Olhausen tables have pockets "on the loose side" (mine did).

Double shimming the pockets made 2-balls side by side fit the points of the pocket.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went to a store that is an Olhausen dealer today to buy the West End model table. Pockets looked a little tight and sure enough when measuring to their Durango model, pockets were 1/4” smaller. (Yes I know it’s a furniture table, but all my wife would agree to). Guy in store had no idea. Is this typical of Olhausen tables or just the way the store built it?

Those pockets do look different than the normal furniture tables. It also looks to be pretty flimsy for a pool table.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The typical Olhausen tables have pockets "on the loose side" (mine did).

Double shimming the pockets made 2-balls side by side fit the points of the pocket.
Keep in mind if you double the shims or use the thicker shim material, you can make that rattle even worse or the pockets will start to spit balls that used to go. Shims don’t play like rubber when banking. I know they are used as a quick “fix” to tighten a pocket and I do understand but just be aware if you go this route.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind if you double the shims or use the thicker shim material, you can make that rattle even worse or the pockets will start to spit balls that used to go. Shims don’t play like rubber when banking. I know they are used as a quick “fix” to tighten a pocket and I do understand but just be aware if you go this route.

A pocket that rattles makes you learn to hit the sweet-spot of the pocket better -- which does not harm your game in the least.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree... But good shots down the rail, with speed, can be frustrating.

Happens a lot with furniture tables, or even good tables if the pockets or rails were not done properly. It hits the inside facing then just bobbles out, even with 4.5" or larger pockets. It's funny but I play better due to this in rooms with tougher equipment and pocket sizes that play properly than my main room which has this issue of the facings rejecting balls that should be in.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolshark16, Howdy;

Lucky for you. Call the Olhausen store in Las Cruces, NM. (575- 524-4337), and ask for Sharon. She's the daughter of Jerry
Olhausen and knows all there is to know about the tables. or email her > olhausen_sharon22@yahoo.com <

hank