OMEGA CUE CASE VS JB CUE CASE-

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
There were several people that owned one and said the construction on the JB was more solid. However for storage at home I would buy the cheapest case.
"Blind" mistake. JB has proven that you don't know what you cant see. He's exposed the "short" comings and flaws of other cases by taking them apart..on video even. Even a storage case has to cover all parts of the cue and some do not.... That said, as for storage only, I like my cues loose so they can "breathe" so tube cases are my preference.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Food for thought.... I made the easy decision and bought a JB rugged case a full year before I pulled the trigger on the hard decision as to what cue I needed it to protect.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Blind" mistake. JB has proven that you don't know what you cant see. He's exposed the "short" comings and flaws of other cases by taking them apart..on video even. Even a storage case has to cover all parts of the cue and some do not.... That said, as for storage only, I like my cues loose so they can "breathe" so tube cases are my preference.
'Breathe'?? OMG my cues might be suffocating as i type this. Oh the humanity. ;)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
We have a few of each in the family, (3) JB and (2) Acme so I will give you what I feel is a fair comparison. First, the ACME is more affordable than the JB Rugged by around 50%. In my opinion, the JB is the better constructed of the two. It feels heavier and more solid, as it should be, as it is the more expensive case. I have a 4x8 Acme that I use for cue storage that works great. I just bought a 2x4 Acme for my daughter who is just starting out playing pool. My go to league case is a JB rugged as is my wife's. By the way, I keep my Southwest in a JB case.

As mentioned by earlier posters, I agree that the JB has an edge in quality. With that being said, the Acme is a great case for the money. My daughter's Acme case (that we just took delivery on) has a neat elastic strap on the inside that allows you to pull the shafts and butt up a bit. This makes getting them out of the case very easy, which is a cool feature. The zippers and pockets on the ACME seem to be good quality and well made. They are not a shoddy/cheaply made case, they are just not as well made as the JB, but they are more affordable.
The acme is dangerous to cues kept in them per my inspection of them.

Here are a couple videos that illustrate this

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
The case doesn't protect my cues, I do.
I could keep them in a camping chair bag and they would be safe if I'm careful.
Storage cases do not need to be the best Chinese case out there, they can be any brand imho -just treat them well.

All my good cues hang together and only the extra shafts are in a case for storage (a rebuilt/modified Instroke). I've had many brands from Giuseppe all the way up to a Whitten (USA), and all my cues are fine. Never had one damaged by my case in >25 yrs.
No doubt a JB is better made than an Acme, but I've never screwed up badly enough to need my case to protect my cues.
If you're dumb enough to open the case upside down or drop it down a flight of stairs, you deserve what you get.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Storage cases do not need to be the best Chinese case out there, they can be any brand imho -just treat them well.

All my good cues hang together and only the extra shafts are in a case for storage (a rebuilt/modified Instroke). I've had many brands from Giuseppe all the way up to a Whitten (USA), and all my cues are fine. Never had one damaged by my case in >25 yrs.
No doubt a JB is better made than an Acme, but I've never screwed up badly enough to need my case to protect my cues.
If you're dumb enough to open the case upside down or drop it down a flight of stairs, you deserve what you get.
Thank you for writing this. Now I can start posting the stories of all of our customers who decided that they wanted to rely on the case to protect their cus rather than keeping careful watch over them all the time as you elect to do.

Most humans are not as meticulous about holding their cues like a newborn baby when they aren't playing. So they do things like purchase protective cases to use while transporting those cues.

I was that dumb person you describe. The stupidest of the stupid and my cue fell out and broke when my case got inverted. I realize that I would never be among the intelligent class and turned my meager brain power towards creating a protective interior that made up for my dismal stupidity.

And guess what, luckily for me there are plenty of other really dumb people out there like me who needed a case to protect their cues as they stumble through life.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
If you're careful? What does being careful mean to you?

Great. Your story is your story. Do you speak for the rest of pool playing humanity?

Then why do you carry them in cases at all when there are simple bags that will do it? What other reasons might there be to carry a case aside from the protection that you think is not necessary?

Ah, it's a matter of intelligence? For you all pool cue cases are the same and smart people such as yourself are always "being careful" while the stupid people are not.

Or, is it actually smarter to let the case take care of the "being careful" part so that you don't have to be?

I am super stupid so I can't say what the right answer is. I will just dumbly continue building really protective cases that are better at protecting than any brands you have named so far.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Without going bat-shit crazy with multiple posts that basically all say about the same thing, I would like to relate this story (and I understand that this is probably the exception rather than the rule).

About 40 years ago I bought a really cheap cue (from K-mart no less). The 1x1 soft case I carried it in was even cheaper. I was a banger in every sense of the word. Went into a pool hall maybe three times a year (in a good year). Any, at some point in time the tip fell off and the cheapo faux inlays began falling off.

Being as how I wasn't really a "pool player" and had a wife and two children to raise, I broke the cue down and stuck it in a far and cluttered corner of my garage, sans case as it was deteriorated and useless to begin with. Now, I live in Texas so my garage can reach temperatures of 140+ degrees in the dog days of summer and down to 20 degrees (some years less) during a cold spell in the winter.

Fast forward 40 years. I'm digging around in that corner of my garage for something one day and run across that old cue sitting broke down and upright. I wipe the dust and cobwebs off of it and screw it together....dead straight.

40 years abused....no case....still playable if I'd wanted to have used it. Shaft would have needed some cleaning/maintenance, but the cue was dead nutz straight.

No one will ever convince me that a cue being stored, in a case, upright, in a controlled-temperature environment, in the back of a closet or otherwise out of the way of foot traffic, would not be fine in a case such as an Acme/Omega.

Marketing a product makes people say stupid stuff.

Done here, because I know what's coming next (wink, wink).

Maniac

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Without going bat-shit crazy with multiple posts that basically all say about the same thing, I would like to relate this story (and I understand that this is probably the exception rather than the rule).

About 40 years ago I bought a really cheap cue (from K-mart no less). The 1x1 soft case I carried it in was even cheaper. I was a banger in every sense of the word. Went into a pool hall maybe three times a year (in a good year). Any, at some point in time the tip fell off and the cheapo faux inlays began falling off.

Being as how I wasn't really a "pool player" and had a wife and two children to raise, I broke the cue down and stuck it in a far and cluttered corner of my garage, sans case as it was deteriorated and useless to begin with. Now, I live in Texas so my garage can reach temperatures of 140+ degrees in the dog days of summer and down to 20 degrees (some years less) during a cold spell in the winter.

Fast forward 40 years. I'm digging around in that corner of my garage for something one day and run across that old cue sitting broke down and upright. I wipe the dust and cobwebs off of it and screw it together....dead straight.

40 years abused....no case....still playable if I'd wanted to have used it. Shaft would have needed some cleaning/maintenance, but the cue was dead nutz straight.

No one will ever convince me that a cue being stored, in a case, upright, in a controlled-temperature environment, in the back of a closet or otherwise out of the way of foot traffic, would not be fine in a case such as an Acme/Omega.

Marketing a product makes people say stupid stuff.

Done here, because I know what's coming next (wink, wink).

Maniac

If you would like to BET HIGH (me saying "stupid" stuff) That I can damage a cue in an Acme case FAR EASIER than in a JB Case I have some money saved up for such a test.

We aren't talking about ANECDOTAL stories here. We are talking about probabilities. It is SIMPLY A FACT that more padding in the right places protects MORE than inadequate padding, than no padding, than poorly designed interiors.

It is SIMPLY A FACT that OPEN SPACE in the bottom of the case will allow anything that gets into that space the ability to harm ANY of the cues in that same space. Don't believe me? Ok, take your JB Case and dump a roll of quarters into the top space with your best cues and then go hit about ten potholes and report back. It is a FACT that when a fulcrum is created by having padding on one end and open space on the other end that the parts can and do bang against each other. Now, MAYBE you're ok with this, maybe you don't know that this is how the ACME cases are built but none of that changes the FACT that this is NOT A PROTECTIVE CASE IN THAT AREA.

Anything I have said about pool cue cases that you consider to be crazy is something I am willing to BET EFFING HIGH on. And I don't mean $10,000, I mean 100k and up.

This conversation is not about cue storage. It is about cue PROTECTION.

And when it comes to cue protection, the ACME is VERY DEFICIENT against the JB Cases. The OP asked for comparisons and I gave them from an EXPERT PERSPECTIVE. Now maybe you can find someone who knows more about pool cue case interior construction than me but with 100000000000000000% certainty, you won't find them working for Omega.

Last edited: