One piece cue

seanandnik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any big name cue builders who build 1 piece cues? If the ultimate goal is a solid 1 piece feel, then there should be some choices in quality of 1 piece cues right ? Would be great for the home table, just wondering

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are there any big name cue builders who build 1 piece cues? If the ultimate goal is a solid 1 piece feel, then there should be some choices in quality of 1 piece cues right ? Would be great for the home table, just wondering

It would be tough to get LD (low deflection as everyone wants) in a one piece cue. Get a REVO. Just my opinion.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be tough to get LD (low deflection as everyone wants) in a one piece cue.

It would?

Why?

Anyway, a maker certainly could produce one piece cues...full splice...but I kind of think the demand wouldn't be there so it might be hard to convince them to do it..

Major makers that made their own one piece house cues include Huebler and McDermott. Huebler made all his splices for his Hustler cues (sneaky petes).

Of course there was Valley, Dufferin, and Brunswick as well.

As for "big name makers", if you mean "custom makers" I don't know but certainly one or two have probably done it.

Some modern one piece house cues are actually two pieces glued together at the joint. Lucasi comes to mind. They have them at my pool hall, you can clearly see the joint.

A number of cue makers could probably do it, but I am guessing it would be expensive as they would have to tool up to do it. And of course they would have to be willing to do it...which I don't know if they would...maybe...you would have to ask them. The cue maker forum here might be a good place to ask.

The simple way out IMHO is to get a good one piece and have a maker turn it to his taper and butt dimensions for you. If you want LD then he can do the LD stuff on the shaft end. Could be a Titlist, Dufferin, Huebler, Valley Supreme, etc one piece.

And full length cases are still on the market for snooker cues so you can easily get a case for it.

Just my thoughts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be tough to get LD (low deflection as everyone wants) in a one piece cue. Get a REVO. Just my opinion.
Why?? You could make a low front-end mass one piece. In fact one-piece, ash shaft snooker cues are pretty low in deflection. Ash is nowhere as stiff as maple and combined with the really small diameters you end up with LD properties. One-piece are just a b^*ch to haul around.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Jerry Rauenzahn made one piece cues. Alas, he is retiring. Not sure if he would make you one though.

:thumbup:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you're looking for something flashy, I don't think you have to look any further than a good Dufferin Hi-Run with a tip change or tip/ferrule change, or a tip/ferrule/retaper, or a reworked front end for "lowered" deflection.

A good High-Run with an original Moori medium is my ideal cue.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The best one-piece maple cue I ever saw was made by O’Min outta Bangkok.
...it was a snooker cue but apparently they are familiar with pool also.
...google them

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Brunswick Tru-balance one piece cues. I bought 4 of those when I bought my table and they are great playing cues when you get a decent tip installed. I have always liked the feel of a one piece cue, liked someone had already mentioned though, they are a pain to travel with.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As many mentioned already I don't see why a 1 piece cue cannot have LD properties. As for big name cue builders. There is a question why are you asking only about such cue builders? Because of how they keep their value and to be sure you get a great hitting cue? If I would decide to get a 1 piece cue as my main player for a home table my main concern would be its playing properties. Then there will be a choice in what construction do you want it and here you have a simple and traditional way = more affordable and some very creative ways, JR is one of very good examples. You would be surprised if you see some works of cue builders who build some amazing one piece cues for russian piramid here where I live. There are such examples of pieces of art and in addition fantastic in play but of course they are more costly.