One pocket rule.

Gerald

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Off of a scratch and determining what makes a ball in the "kitchen"? Some of the players at a couple of rooms have totally different rules. One segment says that the entire ball must be behind the "line" the other group says that if any portion of the ball is beyond the "line" it is a legal shot. Is there a hard and fast rule dealling with this situation? Thanks!

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I've always understood it was determined by where the base of the ball was positioned.

Some may argue that it's difficult to tell if the base of the ball is over, on or behind the LINE. On the Line is IMO is NOT Playable, like the head spot in 14.1... this ball should be on the line, and not playable with ball in hand in behind the headstring.

I've never had a problem making this ruling.

tobyjoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't the world standardized rules for pocket billiards say that as long as the contact point of the ball is on or behind the line, it's playable (after all, the line is infinitely narrow, right?)

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I understand your question it has to
be completely beyond the line. At least
every place I've ever played. Ask Grady.

Gerald

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady, if you are out there, could you please clarify. So far we have 3 different answers to the question. Base, contact point and ball completely over the line.

ajrack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Normally now in most places the ruling seems to be ... any part of the ball on the line ...the ball is not playable.
The "old" rule was base of the ball in front of the line... it's playable.