One rail kick by Dr. Cue...Can't get it to work..

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i use my cue stick to measure from tip of cue stick from the object ball to the rail
mark it on my cue stick with my thumb
then extend my cue stick from the rail till i get to the tip
my thumb has marked the distance so now i look from my thumb to the cue ball in this case
Yep, that equals standing on that spot.

pj
chgo

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
go to manningcues.com. he has several vid on the website. free to view. some kicking systems.

Reactions: bbb

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Years ago I had some cool little mirrors that fit under each cushion, wedged in perfectly. They were made for practicing banks and kicks. Haven't seen anything like that for quite some time. I wish I had not sold them.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Years ago I had some cool little mirrors that fit under each cushion, wedged in perfectly. They were made for practicing banks and kicks. Haven't seen anything like that for quite some time. I wish I had not sold them.
I remember seeing pics of those. I think they had to be pushed farther under the cushion than right at the nose to avoid hitting them with balls - that way they even automatically compensated (at least some) for rolling balls going long...

pj
chgo

wikidstik

I really appreciate the help....I will attack both of these procedures in my next practice session Monday and report back...

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember seeing pics of those. I think they had to be pushed farther under the cushion than right at the nose to avoid hitting them with balls - that way they even automatically compensated (at least some) for rolling balls going long...

pj
chgo

That's right. They were a great fit with a wedge design in back to fir perfectly under the cushion. ..excellent tool for practicing kicks and banks. Every rail had one, and they could be ordered for 7', 8', or 9' tables.

If anyone sees these mirrors anywhere, please post a link. I'd love to have another set.

Reactions: bbb

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's right. They were a great fit with a wedge design in back to fir perfectly under the cushion. ..excellent tool for practicing kicks and banks. Every rail had one, and they could be ordered for 7', 8', or 9' tables.

If anyone sees these mirrors anywhere, please post a link. I'd love to have another set.
Seems like building mirrors into the cushion assemblies would solve the problems. 2x6s with snooker weather stripping might be a doable start.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I really appreciate the help....I will attack both of these procedures in my next practice session Monday and report back...

Instead of estimating the center point between the cb and ob, I find it easier to do it like this...
full

Hold your cue with the tip pointed at the "7th pocket", which I've never heard of it being called that (I just call it "the spot".) Anyhow, with your cue tip at the spot align it so that the distance between the cb and the cue looks the same as the distance between the ob and the cue (red lines). This puts your cue on the correct angle needed for the kick. Then shift that angle (as parallel as you can) to the cb, then shoot the shot.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Instead of estimating the center point between the cb and ob, I find it easier to do it like this...
full

Hold your cue with the tip pointed at the "7th pocket", which I've never heard of it being called that (I just call it "the spot".) Anyhow, with your cue tip at the spot align it so that the distance between the cb and the cue looks the same as the distance between the ob and the cue (red lines). This puts your cue on the correct angle needed for the kick. Then shift that angle (as parallel as you can) to the cb, then shoot the shot.
Interesting - hadn't seen that one before. There are a few similar ones with varying degrees of complexity - this is one of the simpler ones.

pj
chgo

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have followed Tom Rossman for years and I use his bank shot routine with parallel shift. I have tried the same with kick shots, especially the ones with a trapezoid shape. It doesn't give me any consistancy and I am giving way too many ball in hands.
Can anyone address this?
Thanks
Ralf Souquet offers a few other insights like the effect of pace.
The system needs to be calibrated to the table and to pace.
When using this reference for a multi rail kick the effect of acquired english needs to be considered.
A ball shot at an angle other than 90° will acquire english to the degree of the rail angle.
An 85° angle doesn’t acquire much but a 45° angle gets about the equivalent of about a tip of running english going into the second rail.
The result is that off the second rail the angle widens and the shape loses the rectangular shape of mirrored reflection moving towards a trapezoidal shape.
I had such a kick today.
The one rail kick wasn’t a good option but I estimated a side rail kick to an end rail then side rail to kick off 3 cushions.
When using the end rail the corner becomes the starting point to a midpoint between the cue ball and end rail contact point, then parallel shift.
Since the speed needed would shorten the angle to the end rail and acquired english would widen the angle off the end rail I adjusted the angle from the side rail to the end rail by about a quarter diamond.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the diagram from Soquet's video works the same as the one BC21 posted, just viewed from a different angle.

pj
chgo

View attachment 605881
That is correct and any method that arrives at the bank angle is just a different perspective.
My point was that Ralf‘s video noted that pace was also a variable.
The poster used the word kick and sometimes a ball is easier to hit off 2 or 3 cushions than directly off one.
Since multirail kicks use more pace, knowing the effects of pace and about acquired side help.
In multi-rail kicking situations many games require rail contact off impact, making more pace necessary.

Last edited: