Only Filipinos in the semifinal in UAE

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Roberto Gomez failed to reach the quarterfinales, but for the Philippines it is still a great event, with 4 in the semi's including World Champion Ronnie Alcano.

Personally I hope that Jarry "two finger" Pelayo will reach the final. (Verna: Of course I hope that Ronato will win, don't worry) :D He is a very good player, and is playing with a handicap. He is missing some fingers on his playing hand, but when playing you will not notice it... During World Championships 2006 he played 17 foreigners in money games, and won 12 in a row... But he didn't qualify.

As most of the Filipinos he is very kind and humble, and one day he brought with him some coconut-bread into the poolhall, and he asked me to sit down with him and he gave me some of his bread. It was delicious, and what a friendly thing to do.

Jarry is now a house-pro in UAE.

The Knightshot Champions 9-ball Challenge must be one of the best kept secret in the world. I got the information from Vanessa just 2 weeks ago. She used to work at One Side before but is now working in UAE. She wanted me to go there, and found the information about the tournament to me. I asked her to also send the information to Bugsy, and they hadn't heard of it either, but now it seems like they have sent Ronato, Roberto and Gandy. Think it is 10 000 $ in first price for this tournament.

If I am not mistaken, pro9dg (member of az) is the tournament director, and perhaps he can give us a summary after the tournament. (And please send the list of money won to AZHousePro so he can update the moneyrank) ;)


From AZ mainpage:

Alcano Leads All-Pinoy Semis in UAE

Top seed Ronnie Alcano racked up two more victories to banner an all-Filipino semifinals in the Knightshot Champions 9-Ball Challenge being held at the exclusive Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates.

The 35-year-old two-time world champion blasted UAE?s Ismael Yaqoob, 10-5, in the Last 16 before overwhelming another local bet Rotchild, 11-3, in the quarterfinals to move within two wins of winning this weeklong tournament and pocket the $10,000 top purse at stake.

Alcano, who rose to prominence after winning the 2006 World Pool Championship in Manila, is eyeing his first title since ruling the 2007 World 8-Ball tilt in Fujairah.
?I really want to get out of this slump, and I hope that I could do it here,? said the stalwart of Perry Mariano?s star-studded Bugsy Promotions, whose campaign is also supported by the Billiards Managers and Players Association of the Philippines (BMPAP) and Senate President Manny Villar?s Villards: Tulong sa pagsulong ng Philippine Sports.

Alcano will next face Middle East-based compatriot Alan Cuartero, who made it to the semis after defeating Mohammad Al Hosani, 11-6, in the Last 8.

The other Final Four match pits Negros Billiards Stable?s Ricky Zerna and Jarry Pelayo. Zerna scored one of the tournament?s upsets as he pulled the rug from under former Asian Games gold medalist Gandy Valle with a 11-6 win in their quarterfinals encounter, while Pelayo subdued Mustafa Hasaan, 11-5, to advance and stay in the hunt for the crown.[/
I]

Picture of Jarry, together with Lee Van Corteza and Jonathan Sy (sp?). Yes, Jarry is right-handed, so he is using those 2 fingers to hold his cue. He has what I would call a soft-stroke
 

Attachments

  • Jarry Pelayo.gif
    Jarry Pelayo.gif
    29.9 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Back
Top