Open Source Three-Cushion Simulator

tailuge

Member
Hi 3Cers,

I have a hobby project of many years to create an open source billiards simulator that you can use in a web browser.
I reference several great papers by Han, Mathavan, Alciatore and Stronge for physics on github - try it here .

beginners.png



I posted here today because I recently added a beginners feature that still allows you to score a point even if you just miss the ball in three cushion.
A successful point scores 3. A near miss scores 2 or 1 depending on how close the cue ball passes the target, see an example here


What surprised me was that even as a regular player I enjoyed it.

Near misses feel rewarding rather than frustrating, and beginners can put together short runs more easily.

I'm curious whether features like this could help make three-cushion more approachable for new players while still encouraging proper position play and shot planning.

It's free to use, requires no registration, and works on both desktop and mobile browsers.
Happy to hear feedback from fellow three-cushion players.

Luke

https://billiards.tailuge.workers.dev/lobby
 
Thanks.

I recently added ability to draw lines in two player mode (like on tv) to explain how to make shots to new players, its fun and really helps a good beginner.
 
Recently added Korean style Sagu on a tiny 5ft table - the ball sizes and physics are the same as regular 10ft table so the feeling is like playing with basketballs - small tables can help beginners so I'll add to this post, it certainly is a fun way to kill time on mobile. I'm a three cushion fan and thought sagu 4-ball would be easier but far from it, it has its own skill requirements and the opponents ball always manages to get in the way...

saguss4.png


Luke
https://billiards.tailuge.workers.dev/lobby
 
I was imagining this tool, but you actually made it! This is absolutely brilliant! Your analysis tool shows all possible English combinations for a specific shot and highlights green if you make a point, and red if you don't. Here you can see how the kiss interferes with a big band of red in the middle of the green zone, except for a small green line that barely leaks through. It shows how draw can make you come in short with 3 rails and a little top you go longer with 4 or 5 rails.

You also get two reverse English flukes.

It is a curiosity of course, as a complicated illustration, but this goes to show you that the game really needs to be played by feel with dynamic table knowledge!

1791306459467.png
 
Here is another obvious solution. For proper position, there is a large English zone for you to aim at. Top right
1791307045010.png
 
And this might be the best example yet! These shots I work on a lot, and you can see why. They require extreme precision and feel. Even Caudron says they are hard, but Jaspers as seemed to master them.
1791307208528.png
 
Back
Top