Operation: Bar Box Rescue

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I've had a long love affair with these 6 footers.
I don't mind the congestion on 8 ball.. the large pockets make up for it (In my opinion), and i play a lot of 9 ball alone.

Never the less, I'd never be able to fit anything larger in my house
I'm looking forward to this thread. I've never seen a 6 footer in the wild, but I'd imagine a game of 1P on that would be wild!

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing there is that much difference. A standard Valley, barely fits an eight foot box. Cool you got one, especially since it’s all that will fit

PoodlePuncher

Registered
I spent all day cleaning and leveling the table.
my motorcycle jack worked perfectly

gtXQbsyl.jpg

Slate didn't have any shims, so it's about a thousandth off towards the middle, but the corners are level, and i call that "good enough to play"

i'll shim it up when i replace the felt.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
Cool, the 6’ table. A bar I went to used to have one n crammed into a side room. Playing 8 ball it was congested. No long shots, but hard to move.
Here's that congestion you spoke of. 😅
First break in nearly 15 years...

gGz5RJsl.jpg

If i had better ball control, the solids could clear out nicely.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it took me several years of searching, and it turns out it was under my nose the entire time.
Can't count how many times i was over at my buddies parents house, and never knew it was downstairs.
That bike jack looks handy, I gotta drag my 100 lb floor jack in the house, and hump it down the stairs.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
That bike jack looks handy, I gotta drag my 100 lb floor jack in the house, and hump it down the stairs.
The ATV/Motorcycle jack is kind of awkward to move around. it's long and low, doesn't like to be dragged.
but its not nearly as heavy as my floor jack, and i like it's wider lifting area (spread out)..
Luckily my basement is a walk out, so i just need to roll it down the driveway, and only lift it through the sliding door.

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You went through all that trouble to take the table apart, move it and reassemble it but didn’t recover it? You certainly regret that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

PoodlePuncher

Registered
You went through all that trouble to take the table apart, move it and reassemble it but didn’t recover it? You certainly regret that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Popping the slate out literally takes 10 minutes.
I don't have any cloth on hand, and i want to upgrade the rails, so i there's no point in leaving it unassembled until i can get it all ordered.
At least i can play on it in the meantime.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
update: after a bit of trial and error, my table has been restored to Coin Operation, set for free play.
gxw7Zptl.jpg

Purchased a new ball trap directly from Valley, as the original went MIA many moons ago.
Had to do some tweaking, as the last ball, sometimes gets hung up.

the biggest challenge ended up being the coin mech.
I originally sourced a 5 coin model, but it was slightly too big, to fit in the stock opening.
I could've modified the coin door, but i wanted to keep this as close to original as possible.
took a bit to track down a 4 coin model, that wasn't way overpriced, completely trashed. or both...

9Fwyj4tl.jpg

Also i learned there are two different sized coin chute extensions

AV21e8Kl.jpg

The one on the left is for 1979 - later tables
The one on the right is for 1972-1978 tables

Last edited:

PoodlePuncher

Registered
I was rather impressed by the customer service at Penguin.
They contacted me with a million questions, to ensure i was actually ordering the right thing.
very quick to respond.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I was rather impressed by the customer service at Penguin.
They contacted me with a million questions, to ensure i was actually ordering the right thing.
very quick to respond.
I also appreciated their customer service and a great quality product.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty neat. I can remember playing on a few 6 foot tables in little bars and restaurants. Most are 7 foot I guess. Nine ball on the 6 foot table is a hoot!

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty neat. I can remember playing on a few 6 foot tables in little bars and restaurants. Most are 7 foot I guess. Nine ball on the 6 foot table is a hoot!
I was wondering about that, thinking that 9 ball would be the game to play. It being "a hoot," what do you mean, good or bad?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The badge in the larger photo is hard to read, so here's this...

RTrKTWCl.jpg

I was surprised to see "Victor Comptometer corp" at the bottom, but
--EDIT--
It appears they filed the patent for the "MAGNETIC POOL BALL", so it tracks.
Do yourself a favor....get a regular cue ball....you can disconnect the ball trap so the balls go straight to the return.
...the magnetic cue ball is the worst thing that happened to bar pool.