Opinion on Big (Cue) balls :)

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi I made the mistake of playing on another APA team this session, and well until this past tuesday I was doing rather well.

I am a SL 6 (used to be a 7) and have had my ups and downs over the past few years. there is a post about all that on here somewhere. well this session i have been winning strong by not loosing a match but not even loosing a game. (8 ball) until this tuesday that is

we get to the visitors Poop hole and they have 3 tables 2 teams, and of course the team we play has to use this POS bowling ball, on the 1 table. the sad part is they had another table avail. to use.

I think this is Crap and i understand homefield advantage, but We as a team lost all 5 matches and I gave the SL5 I played 3 of the 4 games he needed, although I lost I still managed to win 4 out of the 5 I needed. (because of it size I had a hard time playing position the way I like,) now this is not an APA issue, but I think people should be ashamed to use that crap of a cue ball when other tables could have been used. This is more of a rant that anything else but i'd like to hear any Large cue ball opinions if you have any.

BTW the other 2 tables have normal sized cue balls

Last edited:

Lance Link

Banned
I hate the big cueball

I'm a firm believer in the phrase "Everybody plays under the same conditions". However...

The bar we play out of during the season usually hosts the final four in playoffs (ten tables, all with the standard cueball). The biggest beef some teams come up with is, "It's thier home bar, they know the tables". The room owner takes pride in his tables, and they are kept as well as the tables in Vegas. There are no dead rails, no worn cloth, and the felt is replaced regularly. :thumbup:
Simply put, if you wanna practice for Nationals, come to Six Pockets...

There have been times that we've gone to the opponent's bar (traveling league), and they insist on playing with the big cueball, even if one of our team is packin' a regular ball. They think the big cueball gives them an advantage. The majority of the time my team is able to overcome that big ball. :grin-devilish:

You don't get the finesse' with the big ball that you do with a standard cueball.

I agree, the big cueball has to go. It's got no place in this game...

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it blows I couldn't break out my trouble balls and when i would the enormous ball would be partially locked up the opponents crap. insane, then i would make a great shot and once again be snookered by it, I am just pissed because the Ahole i was playing thought he was gods gift the both bowling and pool. he acted like he was owed those 3 free wins.

I carry a red dot in my case for cases like these, and was told that we have to use what the table came with. even tho the table was open...sounds like crap to me. I gotta get out of this BS league.

Lance Link

Banned
The big cueball...

I've been playing in a BCA league for over 15 years...

When the schedule comes out, the first thing we all look for is to see if the bar(s) with the big cueball are playing that season... :shakehead:

If there are any, the SECOND thing we do is see whose bar we play at. :lol:

And I can't help but notice that when playoffs arrive, none of the matches are at the bar(s) with the big ball. :thumbup:

At some point someone will make a 'retrofit' ball or kit for tables that require the big ball (I'm not a table mechanic, but I would assume that it's possible).

Like I said before, I'm not a fan of the big ball. But I understand the need for teams in the league. And if I only gotta play on it one night out of the season (and not playoffs), then I suppose I can deal with it.

OUSooner

Known Fish
Silver Member
We bring our own ball. I've got one for a Valley and a Diamond. I don't know about nationwide but locally the big ball isn't legal and they have to switch if there is another available.

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess my big complaint is that there was another open table which was not being used with a normal sized cue ball, i just feel that any self-respecting pool player wouldn't use that POS cue ball if there were other options, We have played on the other table (with normal sized cue ball) the last time,(different team) and from what I hear it is what they do because it screws people up. I should have taken the ball with me so they would have to get another one maybe they'd get a small one by mistake

Lance Link

Banned
Hahaha...

Suprisingly, there have been a few places we've played that the big cueball has mysteriously been misplaced in the bar...

Why, one time it showed up in a urinal...

Another time, it was misplaced in the back of a toilet tank...

I saw one grow legs and fall in the garbage can...

One even fell through the hole in the men's room wall...

Amazing...

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
We bring our own ball. I've got one for a Valley and a Diamond. I don't know about nationwide but locally the big ball isn't legal and they have to switch if there is another available.

Most teams in our league carry a playing CB. Some type of "regular" CB such as a red or blue dot. Some bars even have a separate set of league balls. All of the table are open during league play so the CB is easy to retrieve if it is pocketed.

There are very few places that still use that 2 3/8 ball. Most use the heavy ball or magnetic ball.

On the bright side you may go down in skill level but I doubt it because one night of bad pool shouldn't affect anything except for the team's overall record.