Opinions - Based on my layout, should I add a snooker table?

Hoogaar

Registered
That beam is a killer. I’m no architect but have put my own lvls in and dealt with a few architects. Tried to move the pole in my basement and the price was ridiculous!
I added a second 22’ beam last year to get rid of the post that was in the middle of the room. Well not really get rid of it, just moved it next to the other one that was there. That’s why is 12” X 12” - two posts side by side.

Had to pay for engineer specs, buy the beam, move some components around and then get the beam installed. A lot of money just to move a little post.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Truth is, I would install the snooker table because the need to play on it and not have it collecting dust elsewhere would be too much. I would then proceed to complain for the next few years.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the 10’ version or better yet, just substitute a 10’ billiards table which would be ideal.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. I have thanks. How long of a cue and stroke do you have that 5’ is not enough for you?
If you play with a 58 inch cue...you get a 2 inch backstroke!

It would be fine for a home table. It's just are you going to use it enough?

If so, you have your answer.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
If you play with a 58 inch cue...you get a 2 inch backstroke!
With 5 feet all around the table and a 58 inch cue, wouldn't your backstroke room at minimum be 2 inches plus whatever the width of the rail is plus whatever the width of the cushion is?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have been offered a free antique snooker table. I'm definitely more of a pool player than snooker, but I do enjoy snooker too. My room currently has a pool table, bar, TV area, and toy area that honestly gets next to no use (plus my youngest started selling his toys).

Anyway - I measured it out, and I could fit the snooker table with at least 5' on all side, and I could move my pool table to the current TV area, and move the TV to the toy area. Problem is. I have a fairly big post (12"X12") that would be in the way on one side of the pool table - even a short cue would be a challenge. But I would be able to have 100% more snooker than I do now, and I would go from 100% unimpeded pool shots to probably 95%.

From my perspective:

Pros - I get a snooker table!
Cons - Playing pool, I would encounter some shots with the post in the way.

And if I was to get the snooker table, would I be better off placing the pool table 4' from the left wall so there would be 3'6" from the post allowing at least a decent shot with a 42" short cue, or a leave a full 5' on one side so there is absolutely no impediments on that side, but then only 2'6" from the post, making any shot directly across from it almost impossible?

Pictures are current layout, future layout if I was to get the snooker table, and a couple of pics of the snooker table.

I appreciate any thoughts you all may have. Cheers!
I would get it just to sell it.

Stickman9

Already 2 beams - that’s what the post is for. It’s a 35’ span.
When you say that you already have two beam, I assume they are end to end. If that is the case, it should be possible to remove the post, but it will not be cheap. You will also want to hire a structural engineer to tell you if it is feasible and what size beams you need.

I did this in my basement about 25 years ago. The basement is 40 feet long, with two 20 foot I-beams supported by three posts spaced 10 feet apart. The beams met in the middle. To get a 20 foot span the contractor installed two 20 foot I-beams on either side of the existing I-beam. The new I-beams were welded to the existing I-beam and supported by posts on either side of the existing posts (the ones at the 10 and 30-foot marks). About 10 years ago we added a second story and have had no problems.

Things to consider:
  • How high is the ceiling in your basement? My ceiling is just a little over 7 feet, so a 10 inch I-beam was out of the question. But if you have a 9-foot ceiling, you could go with a 10 or 12 inch I-beam. Taller I-beams do not need to be as heavy to support a given load.
  • Is it physically possible get a 35-foot long I-beam into the basement?
  • Do you have space at the ends of the room to put the new posts? I’m guessing that the tables could be placed a little closer together to accommodate.
Good luck.

Hoogaar

Registered
When you say that you already have two beam, I assume they are end to end. If that is the case, it should be possible to remove the post, but it will not be cheap. You will also want to hire a structural engineer to tell you if it is feasible and what size beams you need.

I did this in my basement about 25 years ago. The basement is 40 feet long, with two 20 foot I-beams supported by three posts spaced 10 feet apart. The beams met in the middle. To get a 20 foot span the contractor installed two 20 foot I-beams on either side of the existing I-beam. The new I-beams were welded to the existing I-beam and supported by posts on either side of the existing posts (the ones at the 10 and 30-foot marks). About 10 years ago we added a second story and have had no problems.

Things to consider:
  • How high is the ceiling in your basement? My ceiling is just a little over 7 feet, so a 10 inch I-beam was out of the question. But if you have a 9-foot ceiling, you could go with a 10 or 12 inch I-beam. Taller I-beams do not need to be as heavy to support a given load.
  • Is it physically possible get a 35-foot long I-beam into the basement?
  • Do you have space at the ends of the room to put the new posts? I’m guessing that the tables could be placed a little closer together to accommodate.
Good luck.
They're actually side by side. Like you say, what I would have need for the whole span would have been too wide - so I left the one that was there which was originally supported by 2 posts, put one next to it, and then removed the post that was at the 13 foot mark. So I have a 22' beam supported at both ends, and then a 35' one supported at the end, 13' in, and then the other end 22' away.

And I just finished the basement with drywall on the ceiling, so ripping it up is not an option :)

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 5 x 10 Brunswick Arcade 6 legged Snooker Table, that I've just set up for playing Golf & Ring Games. I think my Pockets are called #7 it will be a fun table to play on &, It's beautiful.... They knew how to make nice looking tables back then.

I have a A E Schmidt 10 foot Snooker with 6 legs, but I cut it, down to be a 8 Footer, It is beautiful.... I use them both for practice tables.