Opinions on the Gold Crown V

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What are some opinions of the Gold Crown V? How's it play, structural integrity. bank angles, etc.. Thanks all, Brian.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe they're made in China. I'm not saying they're not good tables...but something to keep in mind.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some parts might be made in China, not sure, but I am pretty sure they are assembled and finished in Bristol, Wisconsin.

Last edited:

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I owned one for about three years and would still have it if it wasn't so expensive to move it from Hawaii to the mainland.

I thought it played great and didn't have any issues with it. A lot of people played on it and all said it was a great table.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I’ve read some complaints that the fit and finish is not the best. Holes not matching Where they should be. Wood needs shaved down to fit. I feel Brunswick is now owned by a company that owns a bunch of business and I feel like it’s just a name to make money off of.

That being said your getting it on the secondary market so you aren’t paying full price and it will already have been set up So that’s a plus.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I’ve read some complaints that the fit and finish is not the best. Holes not matching Where they should be. Wood needs shaved down to fit. I feel Brunswick is now owned by a company that owns a bunch of business and I feel like it’s just a name to make money off of.

That being said your getting it on the secondary market so you aren’t paying full price and it will already have been set up So that’s a plus.
Those fit and finish issues have been around for 50 years, however. It's about the only bad thing about the GC line. Too bad they never corrected it:(

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played on a bunch of 8' GC5's in a room in Atlanta. They played perfect, the same as the GC4 and earlier GC's. The aesthetic of the 5 is my personal favorite out of GC1 through GC6, but of course that is personal preference. Matte black with the nickel trim.

I'd definitely get one if the price is good and its close to you.

The 5's are all new enough it should not need cushions or anything other than a re-cloth.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe they're made in China. I'm not saying they're not good tables...but something to keep in mind.
Every GC from the 3 on has been outsourced components with assembly in Bristol. Last US-built GC was the 2.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
gc tables are great tables. if you are in love with another brand get that.

you can find fault with every brand.

most everything you play with or use in pool is made oversees someplace. along with the clothes you wear, and much of the fast food you eat.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
played probably thousand hours on GC5's, that have withstood abuse in a pool hall with both bangers and players. they play great and bank true. can't speak about structural integrity, it took a real heavyweight drunken fight to see one shift the top from the legs, but it was soon repaired. my biggest gripe with all GCs is the metal castings. even when flush i just don't like them. in that regard 5's are better than 3's because there's no counter

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 40 yrs i've gotten black pocket smudges and one rapped knuckle. I've never done any cue damage on a GC. they were made to be used-abused in poolhalls and in that regard their fit/finish is adequate. i've seen a few where everything was flush so it must be set-up issues.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m a Brunswick fanboy. I’ve played on all the GCs except probably the II. Own the V. The V is my favorite and the IV is a very close second.

I’m no bank champion but I think all GCs bank the best and predictable. Maybe because that’s what I grew up playing on.

I think there’s no question about their integrity. For home use a GC should outlast its owner.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
most more expensive home tables will outlast their owners as will most solid furniture.
its play ability for a table for better players that decides and cost for most who buy.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did not like the appearance of the 5 when looking for a table. I passed and years later I started to like it but was discontinued. The fit is as good as the installer. Some say the 5 is an excellent table. Post on Talk to a Mechanic. You'll get good feedback there. If the price is right and condition is there go for it. Maybe have a mechanic look at it first. They have been around for a while... you might want to replace the rubber when reinstalling. Good luck...

Last edited:

Joqpub4

AZB GOLD
Silver Member
So that is what I have… a GC V tournament with factory 4.5” pockets…

Plays outstanding

I also play on many other brands of tables, and every table, in every place depending on temp, humidity, dirtiness plays slightly different, particularly when discussing banks.

If it is in good condition and set up correctly, a great table.

Ps I was impressed with the frame when they brought it in, very heavy duty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrxR

I'm not a big GC lover but if it was fairly local and at the right price I would buy it and gladly keep it to play on. Especially if it was thr tournament edition with 4.5" pockets.

I'm always keeping my eyes open for one in my area even though I currently don't have a place to set it up.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So that is what I have… a GC V tournament with factory 4.5” pockets…

Plays outstanding

I also play on many other brands of tables, and every table, in every place depending on temp, humidity, dirtiness plays slightly different, particularly when discussing banks.

If it is in good condition and set up correctly, a great table.

Ps I was impressed with the frame when they brought it in, very heavy duty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For me, this is the best table out there.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All for not Guys. Contacted the Gentleman to discuss a price, already having a Mechanic in line for pickup, and he tells me one of the slates are broken. It was dropped by a mover. Brian.