Optical illusions in a pool hall versus home room

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
So any home table owners ever noticed that when you play on the same table in a pool hall, the table looks bigger?

My table is in a 2 car garage and I notice this problem. It's almost like the table seems bigger in a much bigger room. I know it's a subconscious optical illusion so I don't let it affect my play any more, but I still notice it.

Just wondering if I am crazy or if anyone else has noticed this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have this issue but for a reason, I practice on an 8x4 (home) and I play all my pool on 9 footers (different rooms). The balls even seem smaller. I assume your table sizes are the same and your optical illusion is due to size of the room. Certainly possible. Lighting can also have a dramatic effect.

Al

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're not crazy. Mt 9 footer always looks smaller to me. Years ago I would constantly find myself measuring unfamiliar tables because they always looked bigger than mine. I think it has more to do with familiarity than it has to do with the surroundings. Either way it's an interesting phenomenon.

center pocket

Silver Member
I'm moving into a new house with a 2 car garage converted into a room with separate AC in a couple months. I have considered the idea of putting large mirrors on the walls like a workout room. My thoughts are if I see repeating reflections of pool tables then it will mimic a pool hall and possibly counter act the optical illusion. Might be costly though.

Any thoughts on the practicality of that plan?

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it has more to do with the lighting. A well lit table seems easier to play on than a dim one.

center pocket

Silver Member
Thanks for the tip Chris. Maybe I will take a bulb out of my light and try it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm moving into a new house with a 2 car garage converted into a room with separate AC in a couple months. I have considered the idea of putting large mirrors on the walls like a workout room. My thoughts are if I see repeating reflections of pool tables then it will mimic a pool hall and possibly counter act the optical illusion. Might be costly though.

Any thoughts on the practicality of that plan?

I think the mirrors is a great idea.
I've been in diners where they got mirrored tiles on three walls, makes you forget how small the space is......and you can check your set-up at the table also.....
....the info is immediate rather than watching a video afterwards.

Don't change you lights. In a pool hall, you got lights from other tables causing interference....you needn't duplicate that.....just deal with it when you're away.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So any home table owners ever noticed that when you play on the same table in a pool hall, the table looks bigger?

My table is in a 2 car garage and I notice this problem. It's almost like the table seems bigger in a much bigger room. I know it's a subconscious optical illusion so I don't let it affect my play any more, but I still notice it.

I find the source for many things like this have to do with that which is found behind the bar:D

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
For me it has more to do with the lighting. A well lit table seems easier to play on than a dim one.

I agree, a poorly lit table can be a real nuisance. I played on a table one time where the lighting was so bad we lost the 6 ball somewhere near the corner pocket and couldn't find it 'til closing time.

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two tables in my room, both are 8 1/2 tables yet my one table with the green cloth seems a lot smaller than my other table with the blue cloth...Just noticed that last night while playing.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Funny you should ask but I completely agree.. I have a 9' Diamond Pro at home but every time I go to a tourney the tables seem considerably bigger. Good to know we are both nuts!

center pocket

Silver Member
Funny you should ask but I completely agree.. I have a 9' Diamond Pro at home but every time I go to a tourney the tables seem considerably bigger. Good to know we are both nuts!
Same table I'm dealing with. Thanks for posting.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've wondered about this too.