Palmer cue question?

67GT500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently acquired a Palmer cue that appears to be a model 10 in the first catalog. My question is about the black butt sleeve above and below the foil window area. There’s not any like the one I have in the catalog. Was this an option back in the day or has this cue been customized? I’m hoping some of the Palmer collectors can chime in.

Attachments

• 4ABBCEBB-772D-4D0A-B2AF-69B090150D79.jpeg
    4ABBCEBB-772D-4D0A-B2AF-69B090150D79.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 455
  • EDD3057E-91F5-4A1E-B7BA-577FFB1AE480.jpeg
    EDD3057E-91F5-4A1E-B7BA-577FFB1AE480.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 238
  • C8043C5B-5BEE-42F4-8001-A7F750D9906E.jpeg
    C8043C5B-5BEE-42F4-8001-A7F750D9906E.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 266
  • CE14BE0E-EEC9-401B-BC07-CEBBBE930721.jpeg
    CE14BE0E-EEC9-401B-BC07-CEBBBE930721.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 19FB2792-3E8F-4AC8-9C1E-9FF998834743.jpeg
    19FB2792-3E8F-4AC8-9C1E-9FF998834743.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 429

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice cue. During the First Catalog, a number of cues were made that while not totally custom, or one-off designs, did not exactly follow what was shown in the catalogs. Your's is one of these cues. There is a similar cue to your cue with red rings that has been posted here and there.

Last edited:

67GT500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for clearing that up. I know for a fact that this cue was sent back to Palmer in the 80’s to have the name changed in the window. I wasn’t sure if something was changed at that time or was put back to original. I’m guessing it had to be taken apart to change the name.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
generally if you went in in person you just told him what you wanted and he made them that way for you.

palmer in the 80's was a whole different company after gene was gone.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
generally if you went in in person you just told him what you wanted and he made them that way for you.

palmer in the 80's was a whole different company after gene was gone.
I think that yours is the original butt sleeve , with a window name change as you indicated. This is a very nice classic 60s cue that you now own. Guys went to Elizabeth NJ all the time to order or to pick up cues directly from Palmer. I am from Yonkers NY originally and I do remember guys going there to order cues as they wanted with variations on the Palmer catalog presentations. Some of the guys, now in their 70s, still have their Palmer cues that they picked up in NJ from Gene Balner at Palmer. I am down in Fl. now- boy do I miss those days!.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Can't sell mine because it has my name under the window. Didn't pick it up in NJ tho...but yes, I am in my 70's...A friend talked me into boying it because he could get a really good deal if he ordered two. I remember saying; "Geeze, I dunno. $125 is a LOT of money for just a pool cue." Eventually. I relented. It kinda hits like playing with galvanized pipe, but it sure is pretty. My Josey plays a lot better...

Attachments

• DSCN0206.JPG
    DSCN0206.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN0205.JPG
    DSCN0205.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 196

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't sell mine because it has my name under the window. Didn't pick it up in NJ tho...but yes, I am in my 70's...A friend talked me into boying it because he could get a really good deal if he ordered two. I remember saying; "Geeze, I dunno. $125 is a LOT of money for just a pool cue." Eventually. I relented. It kinda hits like playing with galvanized pipe, but it sure is pretty. My Josey plays a lot better...
Ah yes. The Model M.
Solid ebony forearm plus the stainless joint. Ohhh BOY!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Jack n Jills billiard hall in Brewster NY is still open, there is a Palmer Model M in a glass case displayed on the wall. It belonged to the owner of that room- Turk- from way back in the 60s - a real time capsule of one of pool's golden ages. The room itself was/is? a time warp of early/mid 60s pool - complete with the GC1s throughout, and the old time front desk with the big time stamp clock. I loved just walking into that room - it was like a twilight zone experience every time! If still open, it is truly one of the last remnants of the gritty, no- nonsense, all male dens that evoked an entrance into a truly other worldly experience; beyond explanation to those who could not understand the lure of THE ROOM, and forces that it held over its small devoted captive audience.

Every time I see a Palmer with that distinctive black butt sleeve, the clear window, the pearl dots and diamonds, my mind just instantly drifts back in time to something so magical - it becomes a part of your very soul - isn't that what passion is all about- why people collect things- yes I think so and yes thank you Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason, and everyone involved in making the movie that gave us a chance to live in that 60s revival era, and for doing it again in the 80s - to rekindle that passion and help carry us pool warriors through our final years with the fire still burning!

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently acquired a Palmer cue that appears to be a model 10 in the first catalog. My question is about the black butt sleeve above and below the foil window area. There’s not any like the one I have in the catalog. Was this an option back in the day or has this cue been customized? I’m hoping some of the Palmer collectors can chime in.
Very nice cue. That car in the avatar is not to bad either!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Jack n Jills billiard hall in Brewster NY is still open, there is a Palmer Model M in a glass case displayed on the wall. It belonged to the owner of that room- Turk- from way back in the 60s - a real time capsule of one of pool's golden ages. The room itself was/is? a time warp of early/mid 60s pool - complete with the GC1s throughout, and the old time front desk with the big time stamp clock. I loved just walking into that room - it was like a twilight zone experience every time! If still open, it is truly one of the last remnants of the gritty, no- nonsense, all male dens that evoked an entrance into a truly other worldly experience; beyond explanation to those who could not understand the lure of THE ROOM, and forces that it held over its small devoted captive audience.

Every time I see a Palmer with that distinctive black butt sleeve, the clear window, the pearl dots and diamonds, my mind just instantly drifts back in time to something so magical - it becomes a part of your very soul - isn't that what passion is all about- why people collect things- yes I think so and yes thank you Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason, and everyone involved in making the movie that gave us a chance to live in that 60s revival era, and for doing it again in the 80s - to rekindle that passion and help carry us pool warriors through our final years with the fire still burning!
Looks like they are still open: Cool pictures on the right side of this:

This is cool too!

Carry on Gents!

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Palmer makes great looking cues but the weird thing to me is the way they put someone's name on the cue. It would be odd to own a cue with someone else's name on it.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am intrigued by personalized cues from this era and prefer Palmers with personalized foils. It means that in some way, they were special or at the very least that the player thought he/she was special. lol. In the case of vintage cues, it give them more depth as it is interesting to at least try to find out more about the original owner.

To some extent, it also makes them traceable. I have been able to find a few former owners of personalized Palmers I own and have found prior sales of others.

Curiously, in the case of Paradise cues, the anomaly are cue -without- personalization. In other words, one with a label that is printed only with "Original by Frank Paradise."

Attachments

• Palmer Model M - Dennis Fieber - eBay April 2015 - a.jpg
    Palmer Model M - Dennis Fieber - eBay April 2015 - a.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9258.JPG
    IMG_9258.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

67GT500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am intrigued by personalized cues from this era and prefer Palmers with personalized foils. It means that in some way, they were special or at the very least that the player though he/she was special. lol. In the case of vintage cues, it give them more depth as it is interesting to at least try to find out more about the original owner.

To some extent, it also makes them traceable. I have been able to find a few former owners of personalized Palmers I own and have found prior sales of others.

Curiously, in the case of Paradise cues, the anomaly are cue -without- personalization. In other words, one with a label that is printed only with "Original by Frank Paradise."
Agreed, it all tells a story. As for my Palmer, it was given to me by a good friend. I think it’s pretty cool to have his name on it. I plan on buying or making a display case for it and a few other vintage cues I have.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Agreed, it all tells a story. As for my Palmer, it was given to me by a good friend. I think it’s pretty cool to have his name on it. I plan on buying or making a display case for it and a few other vintage cues I have.
Actually, when I agreed to buy my cue, I had no idea what it would look like. I'd never heard of Palmers. My buddy was desperate to have one, almost tears in his eyes as he begged me to agree. I certainly didn't think I was any kind of special player. Kind of a surprise when he brought it to me. Don't think I won any of the local tavern 8 ball tourneys I played socially at the time.

Not long after that I got married, had a business to run, a child to raise. Business took a lot of my time 60=80 hours a week at least. Only one vacation in 26 years. Most of my toys got put away until I retired. That included the Palmer...still has it's original finish & tips. Wasn't until after retirement did my wife & I decide to play again...digging our old cues out of a closet. The first time I uncased that Palmer in a pool hall. it certainly gained some attention I didn't want or need. She still had her old merry widow Adam...think I paid a whopping $25 for that one. We've since bought more current cues, play with them.

The cue Michael posted pics of looks better than mine. A much more reflective finish. Maybe restored with modern clear coat? Wrap on mine is linen, white with green specks, so that looks different too.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, when I agreed to buy my cue, I had no idea what it would look like. I'd never heard of Palmers. My buddy was desperate to have one, almost tears in his eyes as he begged me to agree. I certainly didn't think I was any kind of special player. Kind of a surprise when he brought it to me. Don't think I won any of the local tavern 8 ball tourneys I played socially at the time.

Not long after that I got married, had a business to run, a child to raise. Business took a lot of my time 60=80 hours a week at least. Only one vacation in 26 years. Most of my toys got put away until I retired. That included the Palmer...still has it's original finish & tips. Wasn't until after retirement did my wife & I decide to play again...digging our old cues out of a closet. The first time I uncased that Palmer in a pool hall. it certainly gained some attention I didn't want or need. She still had her old merry widow Adam...think I paid a whopping $25 for that one. We've since bought more current cues, play with them.

The cue Michael posted pics of looks better than mine. A much more reflective finish. Maybe restored with modern clear coat? Wrap on mine is linen, white with green specks, so that looks different too.
Yes Sir.
Restored.