Passion for the game

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Prior to opening up my pool room, I was the guy that plays pool at every chance I get. I have noticed that in the past year or so that I don't play as much anymore or even have the desire to play at times. Any suggestions on how to keep the fire burning within so I can get back to playing the game I truly once enjoyed.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
Sounds like you made what was once your hobby into your livelihood and I can imagine that over time it could it that much more difficult to stay motivated. Are you too busy? Or just choosing to spend your free time doing other things?

The owner of the hall where I play participates in APA masters league, regular APA and an in-house straight pool league. That all contributes to the success of his establishment, too.

You could also try taking on a renewed personal challenge of getting better at the game. Unless you think you've reached a point where you have gotten as good at pool as you're going to get.

If you find you really only have time play when things are really slow and you are by yourself... try printing out some bowling score sheets and play bowliards a few times a week. That's a fun game you can play by yourself and gives a good measure of your progress over time.

Visual stimulation helps... If you have a TV in your hall, hook up a DVD player or stream "the hustler" to it and put it on repeat. Stream big tournaments to a screen in your pool room, that might generate a buzz with your patrons as well.

Last edited:

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The town where I am from is very small with my establishment being the only pool hall on the whole island. Its been 15-20 years since we had a pool hall here. I believe I have a long way to go to improve my game but I have been advised by a lot of old school pool players not to play with my costumers because its a lose/lose situation. If I play with my costumers and I win then I might not see that person for a couple of days or it might lead to some bad blood on their part. If I lose and I continue to lose then I might lose sight of the business side of things. I recently started an in house BCA pool league in my room and the very first question the lower level players asked was that if I was playing. The only time I really get motivated to play/practice is when there is an event coming up because I have something to look forward to.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
I've seen that happen many times, to myself included. I've loved pool all of my adult life, but I find myself not playing nearly as much as i used to. The old adage is, "if you take your hobby and make it your job, you'll have to find another hobby". You can still play, and I don't agree that playing with your customers is always a bad thing. Gambling with them is another matter. Sometimes you're too tired to stay and play after a long day, or maybe you'd like to play some but you know that you have cue work that you've promised that isn't done. It's hard to concentrate on your game when your payroll taxes are due tomorrow. Or maybe someone walks up and asks to have a tip shaped while you're over a ball. Maybe your kitchen is out of lettuce.
It's a million things. I think you're on the right track. Set goals and plan for events to look forward to. I do that too. It forces me to take time to play because I know it's coming up. I'm 26 years in and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love being around the game, and the pool room and the people. I love sweating the Mosconi cup with my friends, or Derby City, or whatever we have coming up. If I've learned anything, it's that the single worst reason to open a pool room, is because you think you're going to get to play a lot of pool.

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen that happen many times, to myself included. I've loved pool all of my adult life, but I find myself not playing nearly as much as i used to. The old adage is, "if you take your hobby and make it your job, you'll have to find another hobby". You can still play, and I don't agree that playing with your customers is always a bad thing. Gambling with them is another matter. Sometimes you're too tired to stay and play after a long day, or maybe you'd like to play some but you know that you have cue work that you've promised that isn't done. It's hard to concentrate on your game when your payroll taxes are due tomorrow. Or maybe someone walks up and asks to have a tip shaped while you're over a ball. Maybe your kitchen is out of lettuce.
It's a million things. I think you're on the right track. Set goals and plan for events to look forward to. I do that too. It forces me to take time to play because I know it's coming up. I'm 26 years in and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love being around the game, and the pool room and the people. I love sweating the Mosconi cup with my friends, or Derby City, or whatever we have coming up. If I've learned anything, it's that the single worst reason to open a pool room, is because you think you're going to get to play a lot of pool.

I knew going into the business that I will not be able to play as much with my customers. I used to gamble with a lot of them prior to opening up my room. but I was hoping that the passion I have for the game as a player would continue to burn. I still wake up every morning and excited to come to the pool room. I still can sit in my chair and watch 5 hours of good pool when one is available. The focus I once had when playing is only for short amount of time. I would go on long periods of time without hitting a single ball, two to three weeks at a time.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Have you tried your hand at running a tournament or league? For me, helping to run a weekly tournament added a new perspective and insight. It allowed me to interact with players who are way out of my league.

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried your hand at running a tournament or league? For me, helping to run a weekly tournament added a new perspective and insight. It allowed me to interact with players who are way out of my league.

I run 10 tournaments a month out of my pool room and I also run a BCA Pool League once a week.

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha

Give me the 7 and the breaks, and I'll give you all the practice you could want. Or find some time and come to Kona for a stay cation.

Aloha

Blunoser

Registered
Prior to opening up my pool room, I was the guy that plays pool at every chance I get. I have noticed that in the past year or so that I don't play as much anymore or even have the desire to play at times. Any suggestions on how to keep the fire burning within so I can get back to playing the game I truly once enjoyed.
I play at Capone's in Spring Hill, FL. The owner, Rocky McElroy, has an real passion for the game and is always looking for ways to promote the sport. I'm not as good but playing one pocket with him has increased my skills. It takes patience to play some one less capable than yourself but if you enjoy teaching it promotes the sport in your room.

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The desire and the pure enjoyment of the game has officially burnt itself out. I want to hit balls but my heart is not in it when I do get on the table. It feels like I am forcing my self to play so I am just going thru the motions with no care of what I am doing so I have decided to hang up my cues for now and hopefully the desire to play for the pure enjoyment of it will come back. I have been warned many times that I might get to this point but I was reluctant to the idea because I truly love the game. Only time will tell if I pick up the cue once again with a purpose.

Gary Sanossian

Nineballgs
Just another point of view....I have played this game professionally for over 30 years.....designed and installed over 25 upscale rooms...and personally owned and operated 4 myself.....I retired over 10 years ago.....put the cues in the closet and never hit another ball. Sold my corporations and invested my time into golf. When I stopped I was a break and run nine ball player....and would run 100 balls every day. Then I hung em up....I now play golf to a Professional +2 handicap....and enjoy my new sport immensely. My Moral and message.....I have just recently picked up the cue again and I am back playing. The difference....???? ATTITUDE....ATTITUDE......ATTITUDE.....I now play with a totally different attitude and I am enjoying the game once again.....I am back to the break & run game and the 100 ball run is not far away......Pool is definitely a "Game of Kings" and I believe your attitude toward the game matters greatly.....Good Luck.....Do what you have to do....But don't ever let the "lower side" of this game influence your enjoyment of a truly great game.. HAVE FUN......The passion will come back.....Betcha.!!

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just another point of view....I have played this game professionally for over 30 years.....designed and installed over 25 upscale rooms...and personally owned and operated 4 myself.....I retired over 10 years ago.....put the cues in the closet and never hit another ball. Sold my corporations and invested my time into golf. When I stopped I was a break and run nine ball player....and would run 100 balls every day. Then I hung em up....I now play golf to a Professional +2 handicap....and enjoy my new sport immensely. My Moral and message.....I have just recently picked up the cue again and I am back playing. The difference....???? ATTITUDE....ATTITUDE......ATTITUDE.....I now play with a totally different attitude and I am enjoying the game once again.....I am back to the break & run game and the 100 ball run is not far away......Pool is definitely a "Game of Kings" and I believe your attitude toward the game matters greatly.....Good Luck.....Do what you have to do....But don't ever let the "lower side" of this game influence your enjoyment of a truly great game.. HAVE FUN......The passion will come back.....Betcha.!!

I'm starting to get use to my role as a pool hall owner now but I still go thru some high and lows. I also send you a message because you offered to help anyone in the business. I own a small pool hall in Hilo, HI which is the only pool hall on the island. Its doing ok now but any ideas you may have to better the business is greatly appreciated. I am all ears and willing to any idea you may have. Thank you

Gary Sanossian

Nineballgs
Good Morning.....Please let me have some info....Then I will try to offer my expertise....You say you own the only room on the Island....Ok.....How many tables....What kind are they.....what type of cloth on them.....Do you have food....alcohol..When are you open...(hours)..Please describe your room and business as best as you can.....I believe I can give you some insight..... Important.....How would you describe your room....Is it a 3 cushion room.....a straight pool room.....nine ball room or an eight ball room.....What do your players play most of the time....Thank you.....G

Also....How well do you play....are you what is called "A Player"........what is your strong game...???

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

I Have seen this before either by room owners or workers, that find it either difficult to play or they lose interest due to the fact that while they are playing in their room your mind is always on the busuiness or too many distractions by customers or workers.

If you can, try to play a session or two in another room if one is available !!

-Steve