Pat Fleming's 55-inch longtime playing cue

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... One problem is the light wieght makes for a great stroke and it is very easy to handel and play with but over time my stroke will become eratic.It seams like the longer cue and heavier wieght helps keep my mechanics straight. ...

You could have a shorter cue made to just about any weight you like.

... The second problem is If I have to reach even a little bit there is nothing behind my normal grip spot to hold. ...

You could also bring a longer cue for such shots.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
As a friend of Pat's, a commentator at Accu-Stats, and a cue-maker myself, I've spoken extensively with Pat, (on several occasions) about his "short cue" philosophy. I also made a short cue for his brother Pete, based on those beliefs!
Here, it's safe to sum up his thoughts on this matter with a direct quote from Pat himself,
"playing with a short cue------ it's like S-T-E-A-L-I-N!":clapping:

THAT is EXACTLY what Pat told me in Tunica this past year.

I've talked to Pat several, several times over the phone while placing orders thru Accu-Stats and found him to be unbelievably nice.

I finally got a chance to meet him at the 2013 Southern Classic in Tunica a few months ago. Somehow I had missed him in 2012. Anyway, I had him sign my case and then asked him about the short cue length.

His exact words were........"Trust me.....it's STEALIN'!"

I really want to call him and get some more specific specs, if he'd divulge them. I'm only 5'5" and at 39 years old, I ain't gettin' any taller.

I have access to a great, local cuemaker that I know would be willing to experiment with it for me......as long as I pay the price. :smile:

I think it would be a neat thing to try. You just never know when you might stumble onto that "perfect combination".

Anyone have any pics, descriptions or dimensions of Pat's infamous cues?

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
As a friend of Pat's, a commentator at Accu-Stats, and a cue-maker myself, I've spoken extensively with Pat, (on several occasions) about his "short cue" philosophy. I also made a short cue for his brother Pete, based on those beliefs!
Here, it's safe to sum up his thoughts on this matter with a direct quote from Pat himself,
"playing with a short cue------ it's like S-T-E-A-L-I-N!":clapping:

I have only known Pat for about 10 years but would go out on a limb and say he could run a 100 with any cue .The shorty is just his fav ! Pat's a great shooter and great person IMHO

Banks

Banned
Mine is probably somewhere around 55 or 56" and 15oz. Sometimes my fingers drop off the end and curl in, almost like they're helping to push the cue. Every once in a while, the butt end will fall out of my grip when I have to stretch for a shot. I'll get people hooked on the flat tip eventually.. :thumbup:

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with 57" because it fits me. Cue length is the most overlooked part of cue fitting. One size does not fit all. :thumbup:

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had that same "it's stealin' " conversation with Pat as well years ago when I had All About Pool. I had Samsara make a 55 or 56" cue for me. It was great for playing straight pool because it seemed like you could get more action through the stack with less effort. I found it very accurate as well. I did find it annoying that I had to use a bridge too often though.

Eventually I sold it because I think I fell in love with another "this is the last cue I will ever buy". I still look for shorter cues on ebay and in our Wanted/For Sale section. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Bob

cmsmith9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked Pat about years ago during a lesson..he just said "I don't need to hold the cue that far back, so why not just cut off the last couple inches"...something to that effect.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
Is it possible that short cues just end up being stiffer, and that in itself is the reason that they tend to play better? I know I'd rather play with a nice old house cue than a Meucci.

Fatz

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't the first time I've seen this topic come up, though not about Pat. I have very short arms, I've always had a hell of a time finding long sleeved shirts that fit. I play with a 58" cue and have for years but in the past couple of years I've thought often of going back to at least a 57".