Pause in Backstroke, Does It Help, How?

chenjy9

WHERE you pause during the backstroke can also really help as well. If I know I don't want to hit the ball harder than I might, I will purposely decrease the amount I pull back before pause and this helps limit how much I can accelerate when striking the CB.

mrpiper

Registered
I see it like the television or my car. I don't really know how either of them work in great detail, but I really don't care as long as they work well. I was introduced to this concept by Anthony Beeler and have absolutely embraced it for several months now. I don't know really why it helps, but for me, personally, it absolutely does! That's all I need to know.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some pretty well-respected personalities in the pool world harp on the importance of having a notable pause in your backstroke. Jeremy Jones routinely mentions the pause during critiques. Mark Wilson has the differences between pros and amateurs broke-down to tenths of a second.

Here's the thing. I never hear anyone explain HOW it helps? What functional purpose is it serving to stop and hold for a couple seconds? Aim? Shot speed? A last mental check-down of the shot?

It seems comparable in some ways to the back-swing in golf. As a former avid golfer, I had a big pause (it seemed big to me, but to someone observing was probably pretty subtle), and it helped "reset", before beginning the shift forward. In pool, I'm sold on the notion that it helps, just based upon the many pros that do it, even if I don't know why.
I was introduced to 'the pause' decades ago by Allison Fisher. I had been playing for years, without any pause at the back of the stroke, so this was difficult for me to perform. Took me months before it became natural but for sure it improved my game. Allison said that the pause prevents any possibility of creating movement in your stroke through the transition from going back to going forward. For me, I have found that I additionally get just that brief moment to allow me to lock into the speed of the shot before pulling the trigger.

Hoogaar

Registered
I additionally get just that brief moment to allow me to lock into the speed of the shot before pulling the trigger.
Yeah - I've definitely been noticing this the last couple of days - my speed control I think is better than it was ever been, with only a few weeks of doing this.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
According to definition, ALL pool players have to "pause"! Now the question is, "how long"?
Yes, that is a consequence of changing direction between backstroke and forward stroke.

The question "how long" is unneeded for those who play well without any conscious pause.

BlueRaider

Registered
I've noticed that when I'm playing well and am feeling confident, my stroke naturally feels smoother overall, which includes a slower initial backstroke and a smoother forward momentum. I don't intentionally set out to do either of those, and in fact, I am STILL too fast on both, but things smooth out for me when I'm relaxed and confident.

I believe that incorporating a pause into your stroke essentially ensures that you will never snatch the cue back or begin your forward stroke too quickly, which tends to happen under pressure.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Yes, that is a consequence of changing direction between backstroke and forward stroke.

The question "how long" is unneeded for those who play well without any conscious pause.
...and consider someone the like of Mr. Ronnie O

No pause at all when in stroke. A literal piston like circular transition from back to forward.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
According to definition, ALL pool players have to "pause"! Now the question is, "how long"?
I've heard this a lot, but I don't think it's necessarily true. Think of the motion of an engine's piston - straight line back and forth, but driven by a circular motion (the drive shaft and rod) that never pauses. There's never a moment of stillness in the circular or linear movements.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I was introduced to 'the pause' decades ago by Allison Fisher. I had been playing for years, without any pause at the back of the stroke, so this was difficult for me to perform. Took me months before it became natural but for sure it improved my game. Allison said that the pause prevents any possibility of creating movement in your stroke through the transition from going back to going forward. For me, I have found that I additionally get just that brief moment to allow me to lock into the speed of the shot before pulling the trigger.
I didn't mention that as I wasn't sure of the classification of the information. But now that the cat's out of the bag......I concur. ;)

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Some pretty well-respected personalities in the pool world harp on the importance of having a notable pause in your backstroke. Jeremy Jones routinely mentions the pause during critiques. Mark Wilson has the differences between pros and amateurs broke-down to tenths of a second.

Here's the thing. I never hear anyone explain HOW it helps? What functional purpose is it serving to stop and hold for a couple seconds? Aim? Shot speed? A last mental check-down of the shot?

It seems comparable in some ways to the back-swing in golf. As a former avid golfer, I had a big pause (it seemed big to me, but to someone observing was probably pretty subtle), and it helped "reset", before beginning the shift forward. In pool, I'm sold on the notion that it helps, just based upon the many pros that do it, even if I don't know why.
It prevents the biceps and triceps from "fighting" each other on a quick backstroke and a quick forestroke. A pause does not allow the "shuddering" effect to occur between the two muscle groups.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I've done back-stroke pause for... like forever. Never knew it was a new phenomena.
Usually the times I do it is if the clock position, English and cue speed are what is really needed. Several times I've stopped & stood up because something didn't seem right and a majority of the time stopping was the right thing. Seeing the table in the down position is different than standing up & walking around the table. Kinda like going places in a car vs motorcycle.
Sometimes I'll stop at the back-stroke for several seconds in toying with the opponents. Couple times they asked if I was OK (I'm now in my late 60s). They thought I was having a heart attack. FUN & GAMES = LOL!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's been difficult for me , being someone who's played many sports , it's hard to train my mind to stop intentionally. Scott Lee may he RIP said there are 3 levels of pause . 1-2-3 then me with basically none , but I've practiced it a lot hard to do at my age , what I've found is , on long shots where juice is needed through hours of practice is I hit them more accurately with more power, I don't see any other improvement on other shots , but that's just me

One

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
One thing I mention to my players, 'follow through, to the end, RIP'
(RIP - RIGHT IN'da POCKET)

VVP

Registered
Players incorporating a pause (I think) are largely doing it to make sure they don't rush back AND that they don't rush forward. I don't think Mark Wilson takes a position on whether one should pause or not, I think he would say what is important is smooth and gradual movements back and smooth and gradual acceleration forward, and that the entire stroke cannot be delivered quicker than 1.2 seconds if your intend to play professional level pool. The pause is simply a tool some players use to make sure their transition is smooth and gradual.
I totally agree with the statements above. I believe that when Mark Wilson measured the "pause" it was the total time of the final stroke ... the last pull back to hitting the cue ball. The reason for the "pause, as all here seem to agree, is to deliver a smooth stroke on the cue ball. I believe a "pause" is inherent in developing a good stroke and cannot be practiced. You just have to be aware of the mechanics it takes to deliver a smooth stroke and practice to build your muscle memory. If you practice and say "pause now" I bet you will never be able to get a good stroke. The practice is to be aware not to rush the final shot ... different shots might have different "pause" based on what it takes to get a good stroke.

The final stroke has to be all subconscious muscle memory. Very similar to teachings in trapshooting ... from the time you call for the target only your muscle memory should be at work until you pull the trigger and see the target break (or miss).

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I've heard this a lot, but I don't think it's necessarily true. Think of the motion of an engine's piston - straight line back and forth, but driven by a circular motion (the drive shaft and rod) that never pauses. There's never a moment of stillness in the circular or linear movements.

pj
chgo
That's not true. There's a pause in the upward motion of the piston. It stops and reverses. The motion doesn't stop in the crank and rod, which maintains angular momentum. The piston itself DOES stop and reverse. It slows down as it approaches TDC and then stops briefly before reversing direction.

Same thing with a cue, especially since your arm is NOT reciprocating like a crankshaft, it is moving back and forth, which means it has to stop prior to reversing direction.

Jaden

DieselPete

I don't know whether the pause helps or not, but I do think that the question about whether people who have been doing something for years should change is a different question than how things should be taught from the beginning.

While almost all right-handed golfers putt with the right hand low, many professionals say that if they could relearn the game from childhood they would putt left-hand low. Many said that they would have learned to putt with an anchored putter before that was banned from the game.

Most pro bowlers deliver the ball with one hand but many say that if they could relearn the game from childhood they would use the two-hand hold for the increased power and spin rate.

If you were teaching a kid to play pool would you teach them a pause from day one?

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I use the very brief pause as the "go" momentum to stroke. I get lazy on my stroke sometimes and don't tuck in my elbow for a properly aligned hinged motion. If the cue tip is "moving" or wavering in the bridge hand I know I need to correct my mechanics of the stoke and once I do...I pause a moment, releasing the stoke like a hammer falling on a bullet. It also gives me that millisecond to push eyes to the object ball before I fire.

As a few have alluded to, it's part of the overall pre-shot routine once you're down on the ball. I don't practice every day and am not even close to a Pro's or perfect stroke on every shot.

To me it's similar to wing shooting. Using a process that enforces a good (and productive/repeatable) habit from start to finish. You can't improve your game if you don't have a great stroke and a pause is one of the check-points in mine to keep me honest and not sloppy.