pechauer draw

F

fti

I've been posting this message in other forums, but no help so far.

I've recently purchased a Pechauer pr10 (here in the Netherlands). It plays great and I'm quite impressed with the result so far. That is, all exept for lengthy draw shots. I just can't seem to draw lengthy shots (from either ends of the table) anymore. At first I thought it had something to do with me, but I don't seem to have the problem with other cues.

So what can it be? Could it be the shaft, which feels rather thick (13mm)? Or could it be the forearm which seems heavier and longer than on other butts?

I honestly don't think I bought a lemon, the cue plays great. It's just those darn draw shots. If it's the shaft, I could remedy that easily with a predator 314 shaft. If it has somehthing to do with the forearm ...

Does anyone have any clue or experience?

Cheers,

fti

pooljunkie73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense,but most times the cue isn't the problem.You may have a flaw in your stroke that never materialized till now?

Just curious does this cue have the same type tip as your old cue?Never know.

F

fti

None taken m8. Thanks for the reply.

Like I've said I don't have this problem with other cues. I picked up a predator (#2) and played the same shot. The cue ball close to the the bottom half (just enough to place my bridge comfortably on the table) and the object ball close to the pocket on the opposite side of the table. I pocketed it 4/5 and the cue ball spun back and hit the bottom cushion. At one instance the cue ball almost rolled back to the side pocket.

I'm not a novice to the game, and I'm confident to know when something isn't quite right. Although I highly doubt my tip (moori m/h) has anything to do with it, it couldn't possibly explain the huge difference. With my pechauer, the cue ball loses most of it's back spin and either doesn't spin back enough, or veers off to the side. Curiously, stop shots are as easy with the predator at the same distance.

fti

czar

Registered
I'm far from an expert, but I would guess the balance point of your new cue is causing the problem. Different balance points (forward, middle,back), affect how the cue ball reacts. Blud, if you happen to see this, (or Bandido or any other cuemaker), could you go into more detail about this? I noticed the same thing with my Sailor cue and my Dale Perry cue.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess that the amount of grab/friction that the tip can impart to cause the CB to spin is a factor. I guess the knap of the cloth that allows the CB to slide/spin as or not as when there is no knap - more like Simonis rather than felt. When the cloth is clean it seems to be better for draw than when it's dirty. I guess the polish/gloss on the CB that alows the CB to slide/spin more is a factor. Finally I guess the rigidity of the cue shaft or a resistance to deflection is a factor.

P

paco

fti ,
have you tried another tip ? Is this cue heavier ?
paco

Micktmason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Fti, could it be that your tip isn't adequately scuffed at outside perimeters? Also. the same problem on any table? Some tables are obviously much more difficult to draw on long shots, Mick

M

Midnight Rain

If it is possible try taping yourself with your new cue trying the draw shot and examine your stroke. I find myself when using different cues my stroke changes. Even though it feels like I am using the same stroke I'm not. The tape usually shows that I am jabbing at the cue ball and not following through

F

fti

Thanks for all the replies.

The tip really doesn't seem to be the problem; but I will try replacing it.

As for my stroke, I've been playing pool for almost 10 years now, and I've done all the necessary (serious) adjustments. I'm confident enough to say that my stroke is not at fault. Even today I went out of my way to try another predator, bear, meucci, and a house cue. I was able to produce far more draw than on my pechauer. Mind you, I'm still only referring to the long distance draw shots.

I've narrowed the problem down to two possible causes; either the shaft and or the weight of the forerarm. Buying a partial predator shaft and fitting a speed joint seems a little risky without knowing the real cause. There aren;t many players who use, let alone even know, Pechauer here in the Netherlands.

Still puzzling, but glad to see such a helpful bunch of people.:)

Cheers,

fti

F

fti

I've been a meucci player for 4 years, so getting accustomed to the Pechauer is still an ongoing process.

I like the point you made about finding that hidden spot Larry.

Btw. I do love the way this cue handles and plays. It's just a shame that those draw shots don't work for me. I did play some straight pool today, and my Pechauer played awesome. Exciting stuff: 300,- euro race to 50! I cleared it on two turns; so I'm definetely happy with my cue. It's just those darn draw shots...

fti

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
draw shots ...

With a harder tip, you have to make sure
you are low on the CB and parallel, not
angling downward, especially for a long draw shot.

I do not think I would pop a $60 moori tip just yet. Have a Cue maker taper your ferrule down to 12.75, and tip too.
Make sure you have the proper taper on your tip.

When I switched cues and tips from a Le
Cue to a Hercules, I noticed differences in shots, but as I got comfortable with the Hercules tip, I liked it much much better. It is so much better for long shots, especially straight in ones. Much
more solid feel to it.

If you look up all the pros, most shoot with a cue from 19.0 to 20.2 oz and
a 12.75 mm tip.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fti,
Your dilemma intrigues me because I have just the opposite experience. I have been playing with a Pechauer for about four years now and loved it. I don't have any problems getting maximum back spin with it. I have a Predator shaft and the original Pechauer shaft and have no problems with either shaft. Of course, the Predator shaft plays a little different and it takes a little adjustment time when I switch shafts. My only problem with the Pechauer is that it is just a little too short for me. I wanted a longer cue so I had Dave Jacoby make me a custom cue. Well, I have it now and I'm having problems controlling this cue. My hunch is that the Pechauer is just a lot different in the way it hits than many other cues. I think my Jacoby is a great cue and I just have to get used to it. I was getting frustrated with this Jacoby at first because I couldn't perform with it at the same level as I did with the Pechauer. I'm doing my best to be patient and am resisting that urge to go back to the Pechauer.

Good luck, I hope this helps. You might want to take Fast Larry up on his offer to give you some tips. It never hurts to learn something new no matter how long you've played this game.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fast larry said:
Grab a house stick, borrow a couple of other nice cues, if they draw and yours does not, there's your problem. Put on a triangle tip, if it still does not draw, call me, it's you, I can tell you what to do. www.fastlarrypool.com

Larry,

If you don't mind, I'd like to hear from you what techniques you think would improve or enhance a power draw shot.

Thanks, Rick