'Pendulum' Stroke 'Sweet Spot' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Rick, you're beating a dead horse. I have to admit I made a reply to this thread this afternoon and deleted it before posting as it just didn't seem worth it.

This weekend I was discussing cut induced throw with my father and he was not convinced. Then of course my son chimed in and the debate was on! Long story short was my dad got it in the end but closed with the thought that I was over analyzing it in his opinion. He even made a Bobby Clampett reference to reinforce his opinion. While I know he is wrong and that knowledge of cut induced throw is a key component to understanding pool, he made a good point about how over analysis can lead to poor performance in the long run (ex: Bobby Clampett).

As far as your quest about the pendulum stroke....

Try it! You might like it!

And even if you don't like it, you will gain a better understanding of it! I know I have....via RandyG and experimentation.

Ken

p.s. in regards to your golf reference - draw/fade = same swing but different setup to my students

I told you my thoughts on the pendulum stroke Rick. Try it! That is what I think you should do. Formulate your own opinion on it!

As far as golf...I can change my shot shape from the top as well. But I will be damned if I would choose to do it that way for the chili!

And yes...I am now a Certified PBIA Instructor. I hope I can learn as much about the game as RandyG has learned!

Cheers! Here's to an open mind!

Ken

p.s. On second thought...I used to be able to swing anyway I wanted. I don't think playing 2-3 times a year keeps a fella at the top of his game. :thumbup:

Ken,

I noticed you couldn't answer his question.... "Try it" doesn't work unless you can provide further assistance....

None of the instructors here could answer either apparently.... It's a no brainer if you understand physiology and have studied the different strokes so I am very confused as to why no one could explain it...

This is a huge point of contention by the elbow droppers of the world...

Sorry if that was little blunt but it was meant for more than just you.....

Chris

Last edited:

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try it. The elbow is the hinge. When your wrist is pointed directly at the floor while your forearm is moving towards your bicep the tip is contacting the OB and the cue is horizontal.

2"---1000th of a second. But horizontal.

But I think you have always known this.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Try it. The elbow is the hinge. When your wrist is pointed directly at the floor while your forearm is moving towards your bicep the tip is contacting the OB and the cue is horizontal.

2"x1000 would then = 1 second.... That's about 113 mph..... but I think you have only known this recently....

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I told you my thoughts on the pendulum stroke Rick. Try it! That is what I think you should do. Formulate your own opinion on it!

As far as golf...I can change my shot shape from the top as well. But I will be damned if I would choose to do it that way for the chili!

And yes...I am now a Certified PBIA Instructor. I hope I can learn as much about the game as RandyG has learned!

Cheers! Here's to an open mind!

Ken

p.s. On second thought...I used to be able to swing anyway I wanted. I don't think playing 2-3 times a year keeps a fella at the top of his game. :thumbup:

Ken,

I already have my thoughts on the stroke.

I was looking for additional info that I said several times, including both threads, that might change my 'opinion' of it.

Unfortuanately, no one but Chris had anything specific to offer.

A certain individual or two seem to think that any questions asked are because the one asking the question is looking for individual help. That is not always the case. I was merely looking for something that would support Randy's assertion that the tip travels straight for several inches, although I believe he actually said 'level'. I just did not see that happening as I understood the stroke & prescribed grip.

Chris offered some food for thought & softspot 'throws' the cue. I totally understand that throwing the cue would get the tip traveling straight for a at least a few inches (I shoot that way on occasion myself). I am not sure I fully understand if Chris's grip explanation will be enough for several inches of straight travel but I do see that it could at least contribute to some straight travel. I do not think many are doing what he explaind, at least it does not seem that way to me from what i have 'seen' here on AZB.

Like Chris, I find it disappointing that instructors who constantly preach the benfits of the pendulum stroke either could not or would not provide any support for Randy's assertion.

As you have suggested in the past, pool instruction is far behind that of golf instruction. Maybe as a new member of the rank & file you will be able to improve on that. Congratulations.

I'm playing in a golf tournament on the 17th with my 3 sons & I have not played in nearly a year. It will be fun though. I just hope I can contribute in the short game or maybe an approach shot here & there.

Congratulations again.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

You are correct in that I am fairly sure that I understand the set up & the intention. What I failed to see & understand is how the tip can travel in a straight line or 'level' for several inches when the hand is coming down & then back up which makes the tip go in the opposite direction.

There is no straight line travel in the arcing path of a pendulum IF the center of the radius(the elbow) is stationary.

That is why I posed the question, I was looking for an explanation of some biomechanical mechanism that would support randyG's assertion.

I assumed, which one should never do, that he or someone else would have & provide that information.

Apparently it does not exist or it is not forth coming.

Regards,

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken,

I noticed you couldn't answer his question.... "Try it" doesn't work unless you can provide further assistance....

None of the instructors here could answer either apparently.... It's a no brainer if you understand physiology and have studied the different strokes so I am very confused as to why no one could explain it...

This is a huge point of contention by the elbow droppers of the world...

Sorry if that was little blunt but it was meant for more than just you.....

Chris
Not true, Chris. The answer actually was provided, it just wasn't spelled out in capital letters. That's because the answer is so easy to find and see that the actual question becomes ridiculous. Please don't tell me that you are becoming so stuck on "wording" that you miss the obvious. You don't even need a pool table to figure it out. You don't even need a cue. You don't even need to bend over. Just put your upper arm at 90 to the floor, and move your hand back and forth hinging at the elbow.

Again, it wasn't explained because this is about the 10th time he has asked the same thing, and each time it obviously is for the same reason, and that is not to understand or learn a thing, but knock the SPF instructors.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Not true, Chris. The answer actually was provided, it just wasn't spelled out in capital letters. That's because the answer is so easy to find and see that the actual question becomes ridiculous. Please don't tell me that you are becoming so stuck on "wording" that you miss the obvious. You don't even need a pool table to figure it out. You don't even need a cue. You don't even need to bend over. Just put your upper arm at 90 to the floor, and move your hand back and forth hinging at the elbow.

Again, it wasn't explained because this is about the 10th time he has asked the same thing, and each time it obviously is for the same reason, and that is not to understand or learn a thing, but knock the SPF instructors.

Mabe you should look at Bob Jewitt's charts & actually see & learn what the tip really does in a true 'pendulum' stroke instead of spewing your hurt feelings all over the place.

Some people actually understand that it takes something else to be involved to get any straight line travel out of a circular movement. Apparently that is above your clouded level of understanding.

It is amazing what perople will say in the PM section that they won't say in the open forum for fear of being abused by guys like you.

Better yet, spend your time going back & erasing all of your new posts because most of them are useless when they are filled with all of your negative hate.

All I want is the truth. Sometimes that seems to be an elusive commodity.

Oooops... I took the troll's bait.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mabe you should look at Bob Jewitt's charts & actually see & learn what the tip really does in a true 'pendulum' stroke instead of spewing your hurt feelings all over the place.

Some people actually understand that it takes something else to be involved to get any straight line travel out of a circular movement. Apparently that is above your clouded level of understanding.

It is amazing what perople will say in the PM section that they won't say in the open forum for fear of being abused by guys like you.

Better yet, spend your time going back & erasing all of your new posts because most of them are useless when they are filled with all of your negative hate.

All I want is the truth. Sometimes that seems to be an elusive commodity.

Oooops... I took the troll's bait.

Baloney. If that were even remotely true, you would have tried it. You obviously haven't. As far as the pm's, I could care less about them. Why should I care what someone says behind my back that doesn't have the balls to say it to my face? I don't expect everyone to agree on everything on here. I don't expect everyone to like me. You want to throw insults around, go right ahead. That's all you have because you don't want the truth. You only want to insult others, not actually learn a thing. Have fun with that.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Baloney. If that were even remotely true, you would have tried it. You obviously haven't. As far as the pm's, I could care less about them. Why should I care what someone says behind my back that doesn't have the balls to say it to my face? I don't expect everyone to agree on everything on here. I don't expect everyone to like me. You want to throw insults around, go right ahead. That's all you have because you don't want the truth. You only want to insult others, not actually learn a thing. Have fun with that.

That's a very interesting post.

Sorry if I hit a nerve.

May God help you to work out what ever it is that is eating away at you.

I actuallly hope that you can have a good day today, & everyday, for the rest of your life.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a very interesting post.

Sorry if I hit a nerve.

May God help you to work out what ever it is that is eating away at you.

I actuallly hope that you can have good day today, & everyday, for the rest of your life.

Sincerely,

Not at all. I don't let you "get under my skin". May God help you to stop being the person that always tries to instigate under the guise of "but I don't want to be misunderstood" and your backhand insults. You go way out of your way to instigate trouble, and then make a post like above like you are so innocent. What a hypocrite! If this had been the first time you asked this question, fine, you are looking for an honest answer. Reality is, you have asked this many, many, times. Many times you have received the answers, only to scoff and not actually try anything. You twist things around to try and look like the little innocent one, despite a number of people in your threads saying you are full of it.

You don't like the pendulum, then don't use it. What is your motive in constantly trying to discredit everything the instructors teach? Why must you bring the same things up over and over? Do you get some kind of thrill out of it? Learn what you can to help your own game on here, and let it go at that. If you want to actually help others on here, then I suggest you first learn what in the world you are talking about instead of constantly putting out incorrect info.

And, we've had this same conversation at least 4 times already. So, I'm done with you. You aren't here to learn or to help, only cause troubles. Not worth my time anymore.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting question, minus all of the attacks and assumptions on intent. Tough to always wade through that to get some interesting conversation on the topic at hand...

I could care less which type of stroke someone uses, so I'm not biased on the topic. I actually found the question interesting, and more interesting the lack of clear explanation from the people promoting and teaching that type of stroke. Seems there is some of that typical AZB antagonism going on here, and maybe that's why the question wasn't clearly answered, as opposed to just not knowing or trying to actually come up with a thoughtful answer.

Anyway, thanks to Chris (Renfro) for chiming in, I do believe it makes total sense, that the second lever (wrist) is what allows the arc to be more level, which in turn will allow the cue to remain more level through impact and provide that extra bit of margin for error with regards to the intended contact point. If the cue were held at a fixed point with no wrist or hand movement then I think there would be more of a true pendulum motion and the tip would only be level for a small distance as English asserted and as Bob Jewett's graph showed.

Scott

Last edited:

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not entirely true. This animation shows how you can get a perfectly straight line from 'circular movement' Perhaps your answer lies somewhere in there.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Not at all. I don't let you "get under my skin". May God help you to stop being the person that always tries to instigate under the guise of "but I don't want to be misunderstood" and your backhand insults. You go way out of your way to instigate trouble, and then make a post like above like you are so innocent. What a hypocrite! If this had been the first time you asked this question, fine, you are looking for an honest answer. Reality is, you have asked this many, many, times. Many times you have received the answers, only to scoff and not actually try anything. You twist things around to try and look like the little innocent one, despite a number of people in your threads saying you are full of it.

You don't like the pendulum, then don't use it. What is your motive in constantly trying to discredit everything the instructors teach? Why must you bring the same things up over and over? Do you get some kind of thrill out of it? Learn what you can to help your own game on here, and let it go at that. If you want to actually help others on here, then I suggest you first learn what in the world you are talking about instead of constantly putting out incorrect info.

And, we've had this same conversation at least 4 times already. So, I'm done with you. You aren't here to learn or to help, only cause troubles. Not worth my time anymore.

I am tired of your false accusations & foolish assumptions.

I quess that ruined my wish for you to have a good day.

Let us put this to rest here & now.

Explain how & why the cue tip will travel in a straight line for 2 or more inches when the forearm is moving in a circular motion as a radius does with the elbow pinned in a stationary position as the center of that radius.

How does one get any straight line movement out of a circualr motion?

What biomechanical mechanism would either allow or make that happen other than throwing the cue which would take timing to be accurate.

And don't say hang your arm down & swing it from a fixed elbow. That is no answer. In fact, that only demonstrates the issue.

If you don't understand the basic geometry & physics of the issue then you can not give an appropriate answer.

If you 'can't' or don't want to not give an appropriate answer for some other reason, then that is another issue.

I see no benefit to the pendulum stroke other than it is easier to teach & not that it is easier to learn.

One can 'learn' to execute a piston stroke on one's own with no outside 'instruction'. It is simple. Simply move the cue & the tip connected to the end of the cue straight back & straight forward. The biomechanics required for that will happen naturally with no real thought needed if one's focus is simply to move it straight & not some other outside thought or focus. It is not complex & reguires no conscious timing.

Someone just PM'd me telling me that they wasted years with the pendulum stroke only to find success when they went to a pistion type stroke.

It can be done with or without any wrist involvement. It can have one more moving part or not. A lever is one of the most simple machines but it requires two parts. It requires the folcrum & the lever arm.

If you or anyone can reasonably explain to me how & why the cue tip moves straight for two(2) or more inches in a pendulum stroke, as was asserted by randyG in the other thread, which brought up this whole question in my mind, then perhaps my opinion of the stroke would change.

To my knowledge I have only asked this specific question twice in the other thread with no response & by starting this thread.

If there is no reasonably logical biomechanical answer, then so be it. It is done with smoke & mirrors.

If the SPF pendulum stroke is so good it should be able to stand up to a little scrutiny. In fact, it should be welcome so as to give an opportunity to display it's benefits. I personally only see one benefit & that is that it can be taught rather quickly & easily. But apparently there is a secret that I & others here on AZB are not allowed to know.

If that is the case, fine, then just say so.

The truth, the whole truth, & nothing but the truth is all that I am asking.

I am not trying to discredit any instructor. Instuctors, coaches, & teachers perform a great service to those that need help. That being said, there is one instructor that I do not care for due to a personal character issue that I found distasteful. That has nothing to do with my opinion of the pendulum stroke. It is just a coincidence that that instructor advocates it.

So...explain the assertion & show me the light.

If that had been done in any of the earlier posts of this thread it would most probably be over & you would have never gotten involved & turned it into the drag out that it has become.

So, I hereby request that the thread be closed as it has become obvious that there will not be any reasonably logical answer to my question.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Interesting question, minus all of the attacks and assumptions on intent. Tough to always wade through that to get some interesting conversation on the topic at hand...

I could care less which type of stroke someone uses, so I'm not biased on the topic. I actually found the question interesting, and more interesting the lack of clear explanation from the people promoting and teaching that type of stroke. Seems there is some of that typical AZB antagonism going on here, and maybe that's why the question wasn't clearly answered, as opposed to just not knowing or trying to actually come up with a thoughtful answer.

Anyway, thanks to Chris (Renfro) for chiming in, I do believe it makes total sense, that the second lever (wrist) is what allows the arc to be more level, which in turn will allow the cue to remain more level through impact and provide that extra bit of margin for error with regards to the intended contact point. If the cue were held at a fixed point with no wrist or hand movement then I think there would be more of a true pendulum motion and the tip would only be level for a small distance as English asserted and as Bob Jewett's graph showed.

Scott

I thank you for you input. Could you elaborate on just how that wrist joint movement would have to move to accomplish a straight or 'level' travel.

To be clear, & the reason I am asking you to elaborate is that as I see a 'normal' wrist action it would actually accentuate the slope of the arc & not reduce it.

I am not trying to trap you. I am just trying to have a investigative conversation.

Regards,

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Not entirely true. This animation shows how you can get a perfectly straight line from 'circular movement' Perhaps your answer lies somewhere in there.

Yes, & I understand that. The distance from the center of the rotation is different along the perimeter of that shape as it is not a circle & the center of the rotation is also moving in a circle. The circular arc changes sharply to a different orientation. So...keep in mind that the motion along the perimeter of that shape is not circular. It is only the rotation of the shape that is circular & the center of the rotaion is moving & is not stationary.

That is similiar to what I am looking for. What biomechanical mechanism would cause the arcing tip travel to change to straight for 2 or more inches before then again moving in a arc in a different direction in the 'pendulum' stroke as randyG asserted?

Thank you for posting that. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite obvious that none of you have even spent the 5 seconds or less that it takes to see for yourself. With a loose grip, the cue will shift from the weight of it on the pinky finger to the weight of it on the ring finger. I was being very generous in saying just two inches. It's quite easy to keep the cue level for a much longer distance without dropping the elbow.

Easy to just sit there and type that you really want to learn something, but won't spend less time trying something than it takes you to type out your post.:rolleyes:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Quite obvious that none of you have even spent the 5 seconds or less that it takes to see for yourself. With a loose grip, the cue will shift from the weight of it on the pinky finger to the weight of it on the ring finger. I was being very generous in saying just two inches. It's quite easy to keep the cue level for a much longer distance without dropping the elbow.

Easy to just sit there and type that you really want to learn something, but won't spend less time trying something than it takes you to type out your post.:rolleyes:

I appreciate your attempt. Really I do.

But for us 'idiots', could you be a little more specific as to when & where in the stroke does the weight shift from the pinky finger to the ring finger & what effect does that have on the movement of the tip.

Not all of us shoot using the pinky finger to support the cue.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate your attempt. Really I do.

But for us 'idiots', could you be a little more specific as to when & where in the stroke does the weight shift from the pinky finger to the ring finger & what effect does that have on the movement of the tip.

Not all of us shoot using the pinky finger to support the cue.

No. You won't spend 5 sec. to try it and get your answer, I'm not typing it out for you.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
No. You won't spend 5 sec. to try it and get your answer, I'm not typing it out for you.

I did try it now that Chris & you have explained what is supposed to happen.

I would never have gotten it without the explanation of what type of 'grip' is vital for it to get the tip to NOT maintain the arc movement.

In my 11 months here on AZB, I have never read a description like Chris & you outlined. I'll just leave it at that.

I'll try hitting balls with it the next time I am at a table.

Thanks you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.