Per game price of snooker

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
in various locations? As a youngster, my small Missouri hometown of about 1400 population had two separate pool rooms each of which had 4 10' American snooker tables and 2 9' pool tables. There were also two bars each of which had two 8' pool tables.

Snooker reigned supreme so far as cue games in this area.

I now live back in that same town and there is absolutely nothing here for a pool player, let alone a snooker player. I miss it.

But my question relates to the cost of a game of snooker played in Great Britain or Canada (or elsewhere in the U.S.)... was/is it played and paid on a per rack basis or by an hourly rate or ??

And another question - does anyone know of a current U.S. based manufacturer of quality snooker tables?

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
in various locations? As a youngster, my small Missouri hometown of about 1400 population had two separate pool rooms each of which had 4 10' American snooker tables and 2 9' pool tables. There were also two bars each of which had two 8' pool tables.

Snooker reigned supreme so far as cue games in this area.

I now live back in that same town and there is absolutely nothing here for a pool player, let alone a snooker player. I miss it.

But my question relates to the cost of a game of snooker played in Great Britain or Canada (or elsewhere in the U.S.)... was/is it played and paid on a per rack basis or by an hourly rate or ??

And another question - does anyone know of a current U.S. based manufacturer of quality snooker tables?

you pay by the hour, and brunswick make some nice tables

Wity

Banned
Uk rates vary, your typical hall will charge £4 an hour up to £6 or £7 an hour in london and then there's offers each owner will have. Reckon i'm pretty lucky as theres plenty of places round here. My local hall charges £5 for 5 hours during a weekday and is probably the cheapest in the country. The working mens clubs, union, works, or political clubs mostly have tables where the price is governed by the light with a meter on it at about £2 an hour.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an American living overseas in New Zealand and Australia for the last couple of years I found that workingmen's clubs in NZ had the light boxes that governed the price and usually came out to around $2 NZ per hour, while in the Sydney area of Australia I never paid a dime to play at all, other than what it costs to maintain club membership every year. In my case, that was a join fee of $2.20 Australian. Some clubs are a bit more, but there was still never any reason in that part of the world for me to go looking for a snooker room that would charge hourly, as it would undoubtedly work out to be much more expensive.

Wity

Banned
$2.20 Oz dollars a year ! :speechless:

I'm emigrating.

Many years ago there was a conservative club round here which had a table upstairs and it was there i learned the game. The light was free and getting on the table was no problem as the table was unknown of. To join the club you had to be a shareholder which cost me about £3 for one share. There was only 60 or so members living with an average age of somewhere in the later 60's so it was of no surprise when they said it was for sale as it was running at a loss year in year out.

The place was sold for some £25,000 around 1981 and i never got a penny
as they said you had to be a member for x years or something to qualify. But the real loss was the cues in the room.

Imagine it, two walls 15ft * 25ft or thereabouts filled barring a door with cue after cue after cue in their old tin tubes in racks with chains and padlocks securing them. Every cue in there belonged to a deceased clubmember, must have been, I can remember the gaffer saying he'd lost the keys to the padlocks years before.

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback all. I've mildly been considering bringing the game back to my hometown, but with the economy such as it (and this is a poor area anyway), one might never hope to recover costs let alone turn a profit.

The good ol' days seem to be gone.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every cue in there belonged to a deceased clubmember, must have been, I can remember the gaffer saying he'd lost the keys to the padlocks years before.

Haha yeah that's a crazy thing about those places. I knew one in NZ like that - filled with cues, club slowly nearing closure - and so many of the old guys dead nobody could quite remember whose cue had been whose. Amazing.

DKhan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At $22.50 (discounted), the highest price per hour I've ever played only a couple of times was at The Embassy Billiards Club, CA.

Last edited:

OneFourSeven

Registered
Hello everyone, first post here. I generally pay $4.00/hr to play snooker. There are three Canadian Legions (like the US VFWs) within a 30 minute drive from where I live - each has two full-sized snooker tables with metered lights. The lights cost $1 for 15 minutes. There's also another table just down the street from me at a local senior's centre, they charge 50 cents per game (per player).

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is still one place at least down south charging by the game and getting most of their business off snooker. But snooker has been in that town for a hundred years. Once it dies out I don't know if it would work.

They just raised prices and it's like $2 now, not sure exactly. Most of their business is muli player games.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
There is still one place at least down south charging by the game and getting most of their business off snooker. But snooker has been in that town for a hundred years. Once it dies out I don't know if it would work.

They just raised prices and it's like $2 now, not sure exactly. Most of their business is muli player games.

Do you know which room this is? Do I have it listed on findsnooker.com?

Thanks.