Pittsburgh

pimp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any one know of any good pool halls near the Pittsburgh airport? I'm going to be spending the first week of June there training for a new job.

Last edited:

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
I don't know of any close to the airport, but my local room, "South Hills Golden Cue", is just off I-79 exit 54, about 25 min. from Pittsburgh Int'l. It's owner is a former road pro from the 70's, Jim Marino. 18 9-ft GC's and a billiard table. Friendly staff, friendly atmosphere. Not much of an action spot. They usually have a weekly 9-ball tourney every Sat nite.

Bill

Quatsch83

Learner
Silver Member
There's also Breaker's. It's probably a tad bit closer to the airport but not what I would call close. It's got some very nice Diamond tables and no smoking (except in the separate bar area).

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just graduated from college and have moved in near the airport. What kind of recurring tournaments are out there that you guys play in. The only one I have found is the one at Breakers in Dormont on Fidays...

Any other tournaments or good pool halls that you all play in would be appreciated...

Thanks
Ben

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Golden Cue's phone is: (412) 221-0280 I do believe their Saturday night tourney is a weekly thing. I haven't played in it since it's a late-night deal and I'm not really a big 9-ball fan. Just for clarification, to which airport are you guys referring, Pittsburgh International or Allegheny County?

Bill

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Breakers in Dormont is most likely the closest. Diamond 9 footers with Simonis makes it nice too.

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Golden Cue and Breakers are your choices AFAIK. Robinson Township and Moon Township are the closest business areas to the airport and I don't know of any rooms in either area. I've heard of a room in Beaver, PA north of the Airport, but can't recall details. Maybe someone more familiar with the area will post.

Bill

Omar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golden Cue and Breakers are your choices AFAIK. Robinson Township and Moon Township are the closest business areas to the airport and I don't know of any rooms in either area. I've heard of a room in Beaver, PA north of the Airport, but can't recall details. Maybe someone more familiar with the area will post.

Bill

I grew up in Beaver. My parents still live there, and I visit a couple of times a year. There is no room in town, but there are a couple nearby. One is in Rochester on the top floor of the bowling alley, and there is the Blue Room in Beaver Falls. They are both pretty much dumps, and I heard the Blue Room closed when I was home at Christmas.

There is also a place in Monaca that has eight or ten Diamond bar boxes. I think it is called the Bronze Eagle.

JamesJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only Breakers and Golden cue really worth playing at

There is lot more "action" at Breakers. The tables are maintained extremely well.

If you're only looking for good tables to play on, Golden Cue is your best bet for closest/easiest drive. But, if you are looking for any kind of action, you have to go to Breakers in Dormont.They have website if you need an address.

I play in a league in Pittsburgh and get to most places. These are the best two we currently have to offer. Many rooms have closed in the past couple of years.

JamesJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shootz is now closed

Shootz is now closed. But, on the South Side, you can find good tables at Dee's Cafe - Gold Crowns. Dee's is not a traditional pool hall, but more of a local bar with great tables.

I haven't played there for a while, so, I'm not sure of the current conditions.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
I don't miss it

Shootz is now closed. But, on the South Side, you can find good tables at Dee's Cafe - Gold Crowns. Dee's is not a traditional pool hall, but more of a local bar with great tables.

I haven't played there for a while, so, I'm not sure of the current conditions.

The tables in Shootz had the worse cloth I think I ever played on. It was like hitting balls on a living room carpet! I think if they put the greens from some miniture golf course on their tables instead of whatever they had, it would have been an improvement. :D

May that room R.I.P.

Breaker's is the action room in and around the Pittsburgh area. Jimmy Marino's room in a nice place also.

If you're willing to drive a little, Gary "The Bushwhacker" Nolen has a gorgeous room called "Lucky Break Billiards" in Indiana, Pa. It's a little east of Pgh but well worth the drive.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
The tables in Shootz had the worse cloth I think I ever played on. It was like hitting balls on a living room carpet! I think if they put the greens from some miniture golf course on their tables instead of whatever they had, it would have been an improvement. :D

May that room R.I.P.

Breaker's is the action room in and around the Pittsburgh area. Jimmy Marino's room in a nice place also.

If you're willing to drive a little, Gary "The Bushwhacker" Nolen has a gorgeous room called "Lucky Break Billiards" in Indiana, Pa. It's a little east of Pgh but well worth the drive.

Good info, I'm sure Terry, but the OP has been there and gone by now I think. He said he was to be in Pittsburgh the first week in June. :)

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Good info, I'm sure Terry, but the OP has been there and gone by now I think. He said he was to be in Pittsburgh the first week in June. :)

Ooops!

Good eyes Sherm, good eyes!

Glad he wasn't drowning and wasn't hollerin' for a life preserver! :D