Play Shafts as Break Shafts

suharsh

Registered
I have a few extra shafts that are lying around. These came with some cheaper cues that I had bought when I was a newbie to the game (still learning and will continue to).

I was thinking of making use of these shafts as a break shaft for trying out different break tips. If I change (done by experienced cue smith) the ferrule and the tip, would any play shaft constitute as a break shaft or the wood of a break shafts is different from that of play cue and any such conversion is not recommended?

[EDIT] - want to add these are standard maple shafts and none of them are the LD ones.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had 2 solid maple shafts turned into break shafts. I don't know about LD shafts but I would think any maple shaft could just as easily be a break shaft. I also wouldn't use one that's under 12.5 or so but that's just me.

ADAM HENSON

---🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟--
Silver Member
i've had 2 solid maple shafts turned into break shafts. I don't know about ld shafts but i would think any maple shaft could just as easily be a break shaft. I also wouldn't use one that's under 12.5 or so but that's just me.

x2........

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use the search button, this topic has been discussed numerous times.

Douche Bag Day in Canada already? I thought that was celebrated in November...... hmmmmmmm :thumbup:

To the OP, have a one piece tip/ferrule on there and it will hit harder. Depending on the current taper it might not be as stiff as a cue made to break with, but it will still be fine. Before "break cues" were being made, most people broke off the wall or if they carried a breaker, it was an old or cheap cue with a hard tip.

suharsh

Registered
Thanks to all. I will convert those shafts - gives me a good opportunity to try out different ferrules and break tips. For one shaft intend to use the Odega break tip that I recently bought. The 2nd one I am thinking of Tiger Hybrid / Icebreaker.

Regarding the post for 'search' ... a search with general terms like 'play shaft and break shaft' will yield one too many results ... and actually they did. Second at times a new discussion is warranted - especially when new ferrule materials or new break tips are introduced in the market at regular intervals.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a cheap action cue used for $30 and put a taom tip on it. Breaks like a tank! It won't be the same as a predator bk but for the small investment it is way better than an off the wall with a softer tip.

How do you pronounce taom anyway?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few extra shafts that are lying around. These came with some cheaper cues that I had bought when I was a newbie to the game (still learning and will continue to).

I was thinking of making use of these shafts as a break shaft for trying out different break tips. If I change (done by experienced cue smith) the ferrule and the tip, would any play shaft constitute as a break shaft or the wood of a break shafts is different from that of play cue and any such conversion is not recommended?

[EDIT] - want to add these are standard maple shafts and none of them are the LD ones.

Thanks in advance.

:eek:k:

They will be fine as a break shaft.

I don't recommend going under 13mm.

Under that the shaft might bend, depending on the wood.

But it would still be fun to break with.

:smile:

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I took an old Players cue and put a new phenolic ferrule and Samsara tip and it breaks as well as I do. I also have a Lomax breaker and had a Mezz, both great cues and the Lomax is a thing of beauty, but just on the break itself the old Players cue works just fine.