Playing at least 3 balls ahead compared to Mapquest, lol

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
While I am thinking about playing position, I found a great analogy. When I started playing good patterns, which is at least 2 balls ahead, it was the best lesson Mikey ever gave me (well, the only one except for one on safeties :p ) I questioned why he wanted the cueball over here, for instance, instead of where I originally thought it should be. It was all about having easy access to get to the 3rd ball and after every shot it was adjusted for the next 3rd ball.

Because I drive a lot for my work, I Mapquest directions every day for multiple destinations. And one thing I have found is that sometimes, if you are not prepared, you have to make sure you are in the correct lane to take an imminent turn, or you will go off onto another freeway!

So Mapquest will tell you that the exit is on the left side of the freeway. OK, you get over there and you look on your directions to see how many miles you need to go and which side of the freeway you need to be on, because you may need to exit on the right side right away, or again exit on the left. So you POSITION your car to take advantage of where you will need to be to make your next move, just like playing pool. I always look at least 2 directions ahead on Mapquest (not just the next one) because I need to know how to accomplish my travel with the least amount of headaches.

And so it goes with pool. If you do not manage your position, you may be going 'around the world' on the pool table. :banghead: Don't just play for the next ball, always try to see what your 3rd direction needs to be.
 
Back
Top