Playing in a tourney tonight!

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
well folks, all this 14.1 practice has helped me out so much with my game that i decided to play in a tournament! Its a 9 ball tournament but that's all we have around here lol.

Its my first tournament in about 6 years ( not counting the 14.1 league last year) and its my first tournament outside of my pool room. Steve is driving me a few towns over to give it a shot! I am a little nervous being out of my comfort zone because i do not know anyone there, but that might be a good thing LOL cause i won't have anyone to distract me!

I feel im ready and i have to learn how to play in a competition setting right? I hope i do well and not make as a$$ of myself lol. Wish me luck!!

~~Heather~~

Pocketcleaner

Registered
Better not to know anyone IMHO. Then, you can find that celestial center that exists in your mind. No distractions, just doing the one thing on this planet that brings you joy, playing a beautiful game(with ugly people). Play your game and all will turn out well.

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
Waiting on the losers side it's double elim so I still have a chance! Lol I'm playing well just getting unlucky!

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
thanks for the good luck everyone!

I am home, i lost both my matches 5-1 and then 4-1 ( loser side played to 4)
but i am 100% fine with it!! I didnt go into this thinking i could win...i needed to do it to teach myself to shake off the nerves, witch i did after my 2nd rack. The tables were really fast and that didnt help at all and I hit some balls bad.

Overall i am happy with how i played! I actually played better than i thought i would. The 2 guys i played even told me that i shoot very well and a few of the other players so that was nice! Hopefully i can go again next week and do better! The thing i was happy about the most was tha i was able to shake off the nerves pretty quick. I dont know if it was becasue of the people i played or my brain just finally said ENOUGH!! lol but we will see next time i play in a tourney!

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
There were no handicaps . Everyone played even they just have different prices for c/d , a/b and open . Not crazy about that but whatever it was still fun lol they put me in at a C now If there were handicaps I may have argued that lol I have always been a d but the guys who watched me practice to determine the spot said C.

Last edited:

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Competition can bring a game inside of you that you never thought possible. Its a very good thing to compete and the most gratifying experience to conquer your nerves and beat better players.

Keep up the good work and practice 3 ball and 6 ball, as well as some safeties. No body ever really practices safeties and they can give you a huge edge and help you defeat better opponents.

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Agree

Competition can bring a game inside of you that you never thought possible. Its a very good thing to compete and the most gratifying experience to conquer your nerves and beat better players.

Keep up the good work and practice 3 ball and 6 ball, as well as some safeties. No body ever really practices safeties and they can give you a huge edge and help you better opponents.

Heather:
Good comment from Center Pocket.
Playing in leagues has helped me so much to conquer the nerves. So playing in leagues or local tournaments will help, but it takes time.
Read all the comments from everyone in Tom's post. They are important and you can apply them to yourself. If 14.1 makes you most happy. Play that game until your level shoots up & up. The other games 9-ball, 10-ball & 8-ball will improve then. The most important thing about any sport is confidence in one self going into it. Stay away from those tournaments until you are feeling better about your game.

Last edited:

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
I said to steve last night ...everyone was right about how much 14.1 improves your other games. I haven't played anything but 14.1 since oct. Playing last night I found myself seeing many shots differently than I remember from the past . I saw how I could use what I learned from plaing straight in my 9 ball game, from breaking up balls frozen together to my caroms to my speed. I really saw a difference. I might play in another tourney on Monday if I have the funds. Charlie ( forumghost) offered to take me with him. This tour is handicapped so maybe I'll have a better chance lol thanks for all the support and comments guys!

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hi Hun :)

As long as you have fun, tournaments are so great to play :p
Play as many as you re able to- it will take some time until you ll beat some guys-even if you would be already strong enough. The experience you will earn in tournaments are a *must-have*. And as i know you, you ll get all informations around you and from the guys you re playin. Get everything what s worth and have fun.
I enjoy how you re looking for competition and wish i could be there to watch you (playin :p, lol).

lg
Ingo

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
9 footers...the cloth is very VERY worn out on most of the tables so the balls were just flying lol I made some mistakes but the cloth really didnt help. By the time i got a feel for each table i was playing on it was too late HA!

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 footers...the cloth is very VERY worn out on most of the tables so the balls were just flying lol I made some mistakes but the cloth really didnt help. By the time i got a feel for each table i was playing on it was too late HA!

You think those were fast just wait for Raxx its like playing on Ice so you better start getting used to it quick.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play regularly in 14.1 round robins but have only played in two tournaments, both 8 ball on 9 ft. tables. One of them I knew everyone there, the other I knew almost no one. They were both fun but the one with strangers was the most enjoyable. We have a new session of the round robin starting tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.

Dave Nelson

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
I play regularly in 14.1 round robins but have only played in two tournaments, both 8 ball on 9 ft. tables. One of them I knew everyone there, the other I knew almost no one. They were both fun but the one with strangers was the most enjoyable. We have a new session of the round robin starting tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.

Dave Nelson

have fun and good luck!!