Playing with 20 year old balls versus newer balls

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take that bet. If you get a chance, measure them w/a gauge and/or compare them to new balls, I believe they'll be noticeably smaller.
I’ll measure when I get home. I’m out of the country right now. I have calipers that go to 1/10,000th I think. Or 1/1000. I think 0.0001”

I don’t have any new centennials. The newest set I have is probably 10 years old-not used.

I have older sets and the German balls. I can’t spell the names of. I have lots of sets of them.

I also have loads of wore out sets of centennials

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At 20 yrs old, mine were great to play with, but at 51, still quite enjoyable if I do say so myself. Back when new, can’t really remember …

Faboy's comment about measuring them when he gets home made me wonder if he is traveling alone and his wife stayed behind but I don't believe he is married so not really sure :)

There was a good one brewing earlier but I chose to not go that route but, since you opened the door :)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just buy a new set…..the best version you can afford and keep the old set.
Bring it out to use periodically, especially if you frequent different pool halls.

Heck, even if you only frequent one parlor, chances are it uses some old balls.
This way you get to practice from time to time with pool balls you’ll encounter.

Not many pool room operators invest the money to maintain the tables and balls
in tip top condition. By keeping the old set, you’re prepared for what you’ll encounter.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right on, but just to be clear I’m not going with you down the road of measuring them :ROFLMAO:
That’s clear!

I’m not down with that idea at all,

I like guys. I like to gamble with them, hang out with them, play pool with them, go to horse races. That’s about it.

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t think the age of the pool balls matters as much as the current condition, brand and which version pool balls.
I don't know what kind of balls they are. It is apartment complex table not actually all mine. Probably standard aramith nothing to expensive. They have not been polished or cleaned ever.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played an old guy in his basement and not sure if they were clay balls or what. I remember picking up the 8 ball and it felt like the little white circle, with the ‘8’ in the center, was actually pressed into the ball.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what kind of balls they are. It is apartment complex table not actually all mine. Probably standard aramith nothing to expensive. They have not been polished or cleaned ever.
You just revealed the issue……neglected and likely the lower end of the Aramith product line.
The Aramith Restorer is what you need and then a ball polish…..Aramith or Tiger works great.

Attachments

• 6FF5B1AC-4EDB-404D-B9D8-739796EDA680.jpeg
    6FF5B1AC-4EDB-404D-B9D8-739796EDA680.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 36

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
You could get a set of these and just bring them with you when you play. They are as good a set as almost any you can find, and only $100.

FoX6wzm.jpeg

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dirty balls have a lot higher coefficient of friction. This means more cling, throw, the cloth feels slower,...

When I get a match at the local pool hall, I let the opponent warm up and then ask him if I can clean the balls. After being cleaned, he can't make a simple shot--the angles change, the speed of the table changes, the bounce off the rails changes. Same balls, just a different surface--one near polished, the other covered with abrasive (chalk).

{Go figure}

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can play great with newer balls. But everytime i get a old set of balls I really struggle pocketing balls and getting shape. I like a challenge but should peoples expectation be that they can play as well with 20 year old balls. I don't know if I should get a new set of balls or continue trying to get better with the old balls. Should a person expect to play really well with old balls? I have never seen a really good player using old worn out balls so I don't know what to think. What do you think? Thanks

If the twenty year old balls have been in a pool hall it is a nonissue, swap for new ones. The reason is simple. A big part of the price you pay for pool balls comes because they have been matched by size and weight, maybe even roundness. Life in a pool hall, the ball sets get mixed. There goes all of those tight tolerances, same thing if a ball or two comes up missing in a set and is replaced.

I bought a thirty dollar set of pool balls planning to cut them up for other projects. Lost interest in the other plan and eventually took the balls to a quality pool hall. Much to my surprise those balls played a lot better than the house balls that did get cleaned and polished regularly, two sets at a time! Looking at the "set" from the counter I could see three different designs so it was balls mixed from at least three sets, maybe more. Made me remember an old road player that always tried to sneak his balls on the table, failing that, at least his cue ball. If he couldn't get at least his cue ball in play he often didn't play.

A new set of balls won't have seen trips to the floor that can add deep scuffs or possibly affect roundness. Many considerations all favoring new balls. Worth cleaning the old ones, you may be happy with them then. If you still want new balls the cleaner and polish won't be wasted.

Good luck whatever you do. Keep us in the loop and let us know results!

Thanks,
Hu

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could get a set of these and just bring them with you when you play. They are as good a set as almost any you can find, and only $100.

FoX6wzm.jpeg
I got a set of these today. Thanks

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the twenty year old balls have been in a pool hall it is a nonissue, swap for new ones. The reason is simple. A big part of the price you pay for pool balls comes because they have been matched by size and weight, maybe even roundness. Life in a pool hall, the ball sets get mixed. There goes all of those tight tolerances, same thing if a ball or two comes up missing in a set and is replaced.

I bought a thirty dollar set of pool balls planning to cut them up for other projects. Lost interest in the other plan and eventually took the balls to a quality pool hall. Much to my surprise those balls played a lot better than the house balls that did get cleaned and polished regularly, two sets at a time! Looking at the "set" from the counter I could see three different designs so it was balls mixed from at least three sets, maybe more. Made me remember an old road player that always tried to sneak his balls on the table, failing that, at least his cue ball. If he couldn't get at least his cue ball in play he often didn't play.

A new set of balls won't have seen trips to the floor that can add deep scuffs or possibly affect roundness. Many considerations all favoring new balls. Worth cleaning the old ones, you may be happy with them then. If you still want new balls the cleaner and polish won't be wasted.

Good luck whatever you do. Keep us in the loop and let us know results!

Thanks,
Hu
I'll get some dynaspheres bronze this week. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wanted to give a update. The balls were very nice. Improved play quite a bit. However I was still missing balls. I realized this after a few days of play. Drawing balls was much easier etc. Though. The players above were right in saying it was pyschological. It was somewhat psychological. My stroke needed adjusting for the old table conditions. I just started letting out my stroke kinda and the balls started dropping again. Was due to old table conditions as well. Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited: