Playing with a Balance Rite

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you know? Seriously...

I had this long ass post typed out and just deleted all of it. Do what you want kid, enjoy your balance right, butt extension, black ferrule and all that other dumb shit that you think is going to take you to pro faster.

I can see your frustration here. And it's worth discussing.

Sam, from my personal journey in the game, for what it's worth, I played with a cheap Lucasi, standard shaft for more than three years until I felt I earned my way to a low deflection shaft. From there it was another three years until I started lessons and went to an extension at my instructors direction.

I believe some of the frustration you may read in your threads is in this area of experimenting and finding your choice of equipment so early on in your progression. Early on, it is my belief that you should just be putting in the hours of table time and hitting drills. Hit them so much until your hands blister and you can complete them no problem.

Once you have that base, you go from there and build on that.

I wish I was told this at first, because a lot of my early table time would have been invested more wisely and maybe (just maybe) I'd be a little more ahead of where I am at now. Nothing wrong with asking questions and the eagerness to look into every possible aspect of equipment. Still it cannot replace spending five hundred hours on drills with just a standard cue and building on top of that experience.

You have a great instructor in Silvain,I watched him play this last turning stone and he went deep into Sunday...very solid and smart professional. Listen and learn from him.

As always, best of luck.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hey give him a little slack,
Hes from Canada and with the long cold winters he needs something to think aboot.(not a typo)

Canadian tables roll pretty true in the summer...
....but in the winter, they have a lotta drifts.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

Sam, from my personal journey in the game, for what it's worth, I played with a cheap Lucasi, standard shaft for more than three years until I felt I earned my way to a low deflection shaft. From there it was another three years until I started lessons and went to an extension at my instructors direction.

I believe some of the frustration you may read in your threads is in this area of experimenting and finding your choice of equipment so early on in your progression. Early on, it is my belief that you should just be putting in the hours of table time and hitting drills. Hit them so much until your hands blister and you can complete them no problem.

I wish I was told this at first, because a lot of my early table time would have been invested more wisely and maybe (just maybe) I'd be a little more ahead of where I am at now. Nothing wrong with asking questions and the eagerness to look into every possible aspect of equipment. Still it cannot replace spending five hundred hours on drills with just a standard cue and building on top of that experience.

You have a great instructor in Silvain,I watched him play this last turning stone and he went deep into Sunday...very solid and smart professional. Listen and learn from him.

As always, best of luck.
Exactly what I was going to say but said way more eloquently than I could ever have. Thank you.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ended up really liking the forward balance / longer length / additional weight.

Is there any reason why one shouldn't play with a Balance Rite?

LOL!!!!!!!!

You ended up liking it but you want the forum's approval of if it's ok to use it...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dude, if you like it use it.

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
LOL!!!!!!!!

You ended up liking it but you want the forum's approval of if it's ok to use it...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dude, if you like it use it.

You either didn’t read the whole post or just completely missed the point of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As always, best of luck.
Hallelujah!!! You took the typed words outta my fingers!!

banker123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can we hear some opinions on the use of mid extension VS a longer shaft?

can a longer and more dense shaft shift the balance point forward? i am considering making an extension but i don't like the idea of having to screw something in the middle of the cue. it looks ugly to me

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mika was using one of theses when he won the Nick Varner Tournament in Denver a couple years back.

I learned by chance that adding weight in the joint area does not really affect how the cue feels in your stroking hand as adding an extension to the back of the cue would - I had installed a brass sleeve to a joint of a Titlist conversion that added about .6 -.7 oz to the weight of the butt. This had me concerned but once I played with it, it basically had no difference in feel (weight feel) in my stroking hand, but it did make it a nice forward weighted cue.

I have since had Ernie Martinez make me a 2" extension for my Schrager cue that is 57" and I have no problem playing with it, just not sure if I want to use it all the time.

Hope this helps.
Dave

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you know? Seriously...

I had this long ass post typed out and just deleted all of it. Do what you want kid, enjoy your balance right, butt extension, black ferrule and all that other dumb shit that you think is going to take you to pro faster.

What is the black ferrule for :eek:(I mean instead of white)???

molinatx4206

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mika was using one of theses when he won the Nick Varner Tournament in Denver a couple years back.

I learned by chance that adding weight in the joint area does not really affect how the cue feels in your stroking hand as adding an extension to the back of the cue would - I had installed a brass sleeve to a joint of a Titlist conversion that added about .6 -.7 oz to the weight of the butt. This had me concerned but once I played with it, it basically had no difference in feel (weight feel) in my stroking hand, but it did make it a nice forward weighted cue.

I have since had Ernie Martinez make me a 2" extension for my Schrager cue that is 57" and I have no problem playing with it, just not sure if I want to use it all the time.

Hope this helps.
Dave
Didn't he win because Bautista dogged the straight in 10? And then got double dipped lol

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting thread topic... That reminds me of a story.

The last time I used a joint extension, a horrible accident occurred. When I put one of those "Balance-Rite extensions" on my last cue, the entire thing shattered after the third ball I hit. Ferrule shrapnel and wood shards went flying everywhere, causing mayhem and destruction in the pool hall. This terrifying mechanical malfunction ended up piercing the side of a 90 year old disabled vet, and he had to be rushed to the hospital in a helicopter. Maybe it was the fact that the facing was off on the extension by a few thousandths of an inch, and the cue couldn't bear the oscillating vibratory forces... It could also have been the 7 inch rear extension that I leave on the cue at all times causing extra mass and rear end weight. Or maybe it was the ultra laminate low deflection shaft with the glow in-the-dark ferrule I recently installed. I heard they did that on night sights for Glocks, so why not a pool cue right? Wrong. I was dead wrong. All these modifications resulted in the serious injury and possible death of a gentle elderly man whose only crime was drinking a cup of coffee in a quite pool room.

My word of caution is to stay well away from these dangerous devices...

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I don't agree that "just playing" is the most efficient path to quick improvement. I'd much rather grab all the information I can right at the very beginning. If I conclude I want a longer cue, I don't want to do so after 2 years and then need to get used to a "new" cue.

Also, asking a question certainly isn't taking away any practice time for me!

No but if you dont stick with something now and constantly change you will only set yourself back. Also you have a pretty long bridge to begin with so an extension will probably lengthen it. I have been playing for over two years now and wish that I had listened to the people that told me to just play. I probably set myself back by about a year in the scheme of things because I'd try to have a long stroke with all sorts of random wrist flick and other BS that did help at all and just looked kind of cool. The only benefit that I got is that I could draw my ball more than 80% of the people in the pool room, but thats no good playing pool because it comes up 1% of the time.

Seriously, play the 5 ball ghost until you can beat it consistently and then move up a ball. learn how to use 1,2, and 3 tips of english. Learn YOUR OWN systems and clues for kicking and banking and steal ideas from others. If you want to get better play a lot of 9 ball and 8 ball and if you can gamble a little, do. If you can play in tournaments, great. NO cue, extention, system, tip, ferrule, shaft or anything else can replace solid fundamentals and wont help you improve quickly, because there are 3 types of pool payers: true talent who go on to be short stops and better in a 2 year period of time, Naturals who can pick up a cue and not look like a complete idiot at a bar or on a table, and people who look like complete idiots on a table.

I am a natural athlete and the first cue I bought felt like the best until I found out there were others. I stunted my growth as a player by changing equipment, stance, grip, etc. No I just try to stay loose with a fairly compact stroke. My bridge length and follow through are almost always the same distance now and sometimes I use a 4" bridge, other times its an 8". Guys like you and I can't emulate players like Shane who play with a long cue and a long bridge and still hardly ever miss. WE have to learn how to play them game. I saw the video you posted and I'm sorry to tell you that you are like me. Its gonna take a few more years before you learn to play proper postition and run out consistently and if you start playing one pocket then you will gain a bunch of tools but also slow down your development in 9 ball.

Just remember that its not an easy game but you will improve if you accept that you aren't god's gift to pool and dedicate yourself to practice rather than finding solutions.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can we hear some opinions on the use of mid extension VS a longer shaft?

Can't do much about you seeing it as ugly.

A longer shaft won't change the (forward) balance as much as an insert because of the insert's extra pin.

Don't forget that you may need a different case if you get a longer shaft.

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does it Look on a cue.

When you put the extension on your cue, does it raise or lower, out on both ends.
The diameters on all cues are different.

I emailed them and they referred me to someone else and I am waiting for their reply.
I want to try one on my Tiger cue.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you put the extension on your cue, does it raise or lower, out on both ends.
The diameters on all cues are different.

I emailed them and they referred me to someone else and I am waiting for their reply.
I want to try one on my Tiger cue.

No, if the extension is done correctly, you will be asked what is the diameter of your joint. Most are .8500" or .8600". Just measure your joint with a pair of calipers to make sure before you order the extension.

It's just the same as ordering a new shaft for your cue if you are getting the shaft from a different manufacturer.

Good luck.