Playing with Fatigue VS. Not playing in the zone

Several players experience "playing in the zone, playing fresh, or playing to their fullest ability."

The biggest kept secret professional pool players don't talk about is playing when you are fatigued, playing when you are tired or judging shots after long matches.

It is common to see in tournament matches pros miss easy shots and think they miss because they aren't that great, "choked" or just couldn't get the job done. What isn't seen is how long their tournament day has been or how much time they haven't spent resting.

Some players can just run racks and in their final matches they look as sloppy as rookies on simple shots. The fatigue could be from "machine line production repetition," the concept that repetitive work can drive people to insanity. Or it could be from lack of rest.

Whatever the case playing fatigued is a serious problem for pros and amateurs alike. Some simple tips to keep in mind when playing tired are the same as when deciding to drink and then deciding to drive. Consider that being tired changes the way you play and the shots you can make.

Great post and a great read!
 
That's the truth, fatigue affects a lot more systems in the body that people realize. It affects your balance, your vision, your stance. It probably has the greatest effect on your mood though, particularly when you are talking about a series of 16 hour days strung together.

I recently was suck, and didn't realize it. I went to a tourny not realizing I had a 103 fever, just that I was a little cold. I was angry, irritable, and missed simple shots I rarely (if ever) miss.

I got home and almost fell down, and my wife took one look at me and asked what was wrong. She took my temp and it was up to 104.1. I slept for almost 3 days I was so sick and fatigued.

I went to play the 4th day and I couldn't miss. I played the best I had played in months, maybe years. I was so tired and fatigued from lack of sleep and being sick I couldn't make a ball. But the biggest impact was on my attitude....when I DID miss it wasn't a bad miss. It didn't bother me the way missing did when I was fatigued.

It's so much easier to get down on yourself when fatigue sets in.
 
Back
Top