Please Don't Take The Question Out of Context

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
But, what is the deal with all the WPBA matches on TV? Are they trying to entice more people into pool by showing the women play? I mean come on, it's bad enough that the matches are 5 years old. Who do we need to contact to start getting some of the legendary matches played on TV?

They have no problem showing the great bowling championship of Bubba vs. Bubba on a regular basis :)
 
A good match is always fun to watch. Even the older ones. But, to see just how badly pool is doing just look at yesterday's matches. Top women were playing. Did you see the empty seats?
The matches were in an auditorium settiing. Only about 10% of the seats were taken. It was sad. The pool was good.
I think this is why the woman's tournament was dropped at Valley Forge. Alan couldn't sell the seats. Now look at the men's tournaments. It gets filled up.
 
I could never figure this out either. The woman play well, but not well enough for TV IMHO. I'd much rather see some big events on TV, or some classics as you mentioned.

One day I'll make something of myself and find a way to get good content on TV. It's my goal. :)

(The US Open has a fantastic presentation though. Sadly it's never on anymore, or when it is, the matches are years outdated).
 
I always thought it was $$. The women had money thru sponsors to pay the airtime. I suspect there would be men's pool on ESPN if the $pon$or$hip could be found to support the airtime.

And it's a slower sports time -- they need airtime filler. I missed the pool as I was watching dodgeball on the ocho.

I dunno, just my .02
 
Thats a good question new stroke. I think the bowling matches are more ridiculous then the pool!
 
to see just how badly pool is doing just look at yesterday's matches. Top women were playing. Did you see the empty seats?
The matches were in an auditorium settiing. Only about 10% of the seats were taken. It was sad. The pool was good.

The WPBA Colorado Classic was held in Ignacio, which is hundreds of miles away from a major metropolis. In this economy, the low turnout was exactly what could have been expected. Of the 10% of the seats that were taken, perhaps half of those folks were from Ignacio and Durango.

How does the WPBA make money at these tournaments when they have a low spectator turnout and they have to pay ESPN to film them?
 
Last edited:
The question is... in these matches how many times does the APA get mentioned?

I have a feeling the WPBA on ESPN is funded by the APA to get their name out there. It has nothing to do with showing the WPBA, it's all about the APA getting more members by exploiting the women of the WPBA!

Brian
 
It's all about organization. The men have no organization with authority to negotiate agreements. The TV people must have contractual agreements in order to protect themselves from claims by the players for unlawful use of their image. This is one of the main things that has held back the development of a good pro tour and better sponsorships and paydays for the players for years. Look at golf and tennis and you will see a good solid governing body that this is handled by.
 
Back
Top