Pocket Size on Valley 7ft tables used in APA Tournament

Submerge

Watching some of the APA matches from Las Vegas. Looks like Valley 7ft bar box tables. The pockets make the balls look very small. What are the pocket opening dimensions for those tables? Thanks.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Normally they use standard Valley tables, but with Ridgeback Rails to give a 4.5" corner pocket. Typically the side pocket is a bit smaller at 4.25" or so.

I'm basing this off of memory, but I believe Ridgeback gives the dimensions on their website. The corner pocket angles are pretty close to parallel and play very forgiving as long as you hit just inside the point. Side pockets need to be hit slowly, otherwise they will rejects the ball.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
IMO, looks like standard 4.5" Valley pockets.

Screenshot_20220507-224730__01.jpg

TrxR

Normally they use standard Valley tables, but with Ridgeback Rails to give a 4.5" corner pocket. Typically the side pocket is a bit smaller at 4.25" or so.

I'm basing this off of memory, but I believe Ridgeback gives the dimensions on their website. The corner pocket angles are pretty close to parallel and play very forgiving as long as you hit just inside the point. Side pockets need to be hit slowly, otherwise they will rejects the ball.
According to their site standards rails are 5" corner and 4.75" side but they don't list the specs for the professional or league rails.

Now my question is, is it only Valley tables that have smaller side pockets than the corner or is it a 7ft table thing? Most tables the corner is smaller than the side by about .5" with most side pockets getting no smaller than 4.75".

EDIT: I looked at their site again and found the other dimensions. The side pocket stays at 4.75" on all rails . The league rail corner goes to 4 7/8" and the professional goes to 4.5" corners

Last edited:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

In his book "The Eight Ball Bible" R. Givens has some diagrams on page 37.
Granted the book was written/published in 2003, so, given 'things' change ...
What they show is the difference between "Regulation" tables (4.5 X 9) opposed
to a BAR Box. Here's the gist of it;
Reg. Table Side Pocket Dimensions are: Mouth 5 3/8" to 5 5/8". Throat 4 1/2" to 4 7/8"
Bar Table Side Pocket Dimensions are: Mouth 3 3/4" to 4 5/8". Throat 3 1/4" to 3 5/8"

Just spent a lot of time on the Valley site and couldn't locate the pocket dimensions so,
the above is what I could find.

hank

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Valley tables I’ve played all had huge pockets…….just under 5” CP and 5.25” SP.
The Diamond 7’ tables had much tighter pockets, played harder and faster as tables.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

From watching the shots that fall on those, I don't think I have seen an APA match that used the 4.5" pocket setup but it may be the total lack of a slate shelf that makes things fall in easier.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I’ve watched a few of their videos. If I didn’t know better I would have assumed it was 7” pockets. You can miss near the side pocket and still have the ball slide into the corner.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From watching the shots that fall on those, I don't think I have seen an APA match that used the 4.5" pocket setup but it may be the total lack of a slate shelf that makes things fall in easier.
That's exactly it, the shelf is so shallow that it makes the pocket play larger. I've been a Vegas a few times now and the pockets are 4.5" to 4.75" consistently. Of course there's going to be some variance with all of their equipment. The tables have been used and abused for many years.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at the APA Teams in Oct 2021 at the Westgate. I went up to the main referee desk and asked what is the pocket size. They looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.

Next time I will just borrow a tape measure. :confused: