Pockets on 9' Wilhem-Saunier tables

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have experience playing on them? These tables seem to rattle a lot of shots that would go in on other tables. My 8-ball team plays out of a club that has one, and experience the same thing at another club with a Saunier-Wilhem 9' table. Have not experienced it on a 8' table I've played on by the same company.

Is the the angle? The shelf depth? I know they're not "tight" in the traditional sense, as shown in the pic below:

828876730dfa547d65c242c348f5155c_zps1008ca84.jpg

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy crap that's a deep shelf, lol. I'm not much for the old style tables with the narrow rails but I'd own one like that. Imagine tightening the pockets to 4 or 4 1/4" and using it for one pocket. :)

Yeah, they rattle balls like crazy. Trying to play straight pool on it is certainly teaching me the virtues of patience, lol

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Looks like the shims have slipped a little.....
...but more important is the way the jaws are under-cut....
...if the angle is too straight up and down, the ball goes up when it hits the jaws.

I've played on 5.25 inch pockets that wouldn't take a ball with speed down the rail.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the table was supposed to have been recovered and re-cushioned this past week. I'll try to get down and find out.

tedantle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it appears you need some TLC from a good table Mechanic. It looks like a beautiful old table with character. There is a whole formula for cushion angle & pocket angle. Real King Cobra refurbished and rebuilt my rails on my GCIII - IV. It is a real science. Sounds like leto1776 has a handle on it. Check out the Table Mechanic forum if you need more help.