POINTS /NO POINTS/FULL SPLICE

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i obviously am not a cue maker
there are some threads in the main section about this but i trust you guys a whole lot more...:)
do points do anything for playability/structural stability?
is full splice better?
is a merry widow just as good a player ?
i did a search and didnt really find an answer
thanks in advance for any thing you care to share on the subject
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

billsey

Registered
As with everything, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It shouldn't make any difference in play, given everything else is identical, but if the wood is of poorer quality a full splice will be likely to warp less than a solid shaft.

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As with everything, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It shouldn't make any difference in play, given everything else is identical, but if the wood is of poorer quality a full splice will be likely to warp less than a solid shaft.
Thanks for the reply

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll try not to be too biased in my reply. When you look at a full splice you are looking at the actual construction of the cue. With a Merry Widow/short splice etc you have no idea what the internal construction looks like. Could have been put together with a one piece core, a connecting screw, no core at all etc. IMO full splice is the optimal construction method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both cuemakers who replied earlier have valid points regarding construction. Either full splice or short splice can provide a quality cue. The skill of the cuemaker is very important to the finished product. I have seen quality and crap produced with both methods. Neither Chris nor Shelby produce inferior cues. Just my opinion.

Vanessa

After reading the question here, and the answers, I'm just wondering...
Do points or splices matter in the overall strength; durability; longevity in the cue?
Like if I have a quality made cue that's just solid maple without a wrap, will it hold up?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading the question here, and the answers, I'm just wondering...
Do points or splices matter in the overall strength; durability; longevity in the cue?
Like if I have a quality made cue that's just solid maple without a wrap, will it hold up?
Like yeah it will be fine.LOL

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i obviously am not a cue maker
there are some threads in the main section about this but i trust you guys a whole lot more...:)
do points do anything for playability/structural stability?
is full splice better?
is a merry widow just as good a player ?
i did a search and didnt really find an answer
thanks in advance for any thing you care to share on the subject
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
I'm not much of a cuemaker , but I do play at a good level and in my experience I've always thought that points took away from the hit. They have other pluses for sure but playability strictly I like no points no joint, just a stick. Even the ferrule could be done away with if the stick wouldn't splinter near the tip. Just my opinion.