Pool Ball Collecting.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the bottom set 2 ⅛ “ or 54mm? That’s what we used to play with on the snooker tables in central California. Numbers are correct as well.

Great set! 😍😍😍
They're about a 1/32" scant, closer to 53mm. Give me a sec and I'll get the red ones out and post a picture.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unplayed, Original Packaging
1670560301774.jpeg

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m going to go dig as I mentioned last week before I left for Mcup and post a few pics of balls I have. I can’t do better than this.

Thx for the pic!

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m going to go dig as I mentioned last week before I left for Mcup and post a few pics of balls I have. I can’t do better than this.

Thx for the pic!
I'm glad you liked them! I look forward to seeing your contributions. All of the regulars here really appreciate new postings. Put 'em up there, Bro! You don't strike me as the shy type.:giggle:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad you liked them! I look forward to seeing your contributions. All of the regulars here really appreciate new postings. Put 'em up there, Bro! You don't strike me as the shy type.:giggle:
Oddly enough I rarely take pics of my “things” and even rarer post pics. However for pool balls I’ll make an exception. It’s not a flex-it’s sharing as I know I LOVE balls and I’m sure people would enjoy seeing what I have. It’s not heavy weight big time stuff, but some cool older sets I’ve accumulated over the years. And individual balls-a couple mud balls etc. I’ve never owned a ivory ball(always wanted one)

Best
Fatboy

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oddly enough I rarely take pics of my “things” and even rarer post pics. However for pool balls I’ll make an exception. It’s not a flex-it’s sharing as I know I LOVE balls and I’m sure people would enjoy seeing what I have. It’s not heavy weight big time stuff, but some cool older sets I’ve accumulated over the years. And individual balls-a couple mud balls etc. I’ve never owned a ivory ball(always wanted one)

Best
Fatboy
Fantastic! I know everybody will appreciate your contributions.

I don't know what is about ivory balls, but I only have one and it was given to me. I think all the lore surrounding them is why I've steered clear. A.E Schmidt was still selling Zanzibar soft ivory balls in 1981. They were expensive then, but a pristine set today would be costly.

Thanks for showing interest in this thread. Rupert, the founder, may well be one of the most knowledgeable pool ball experts in the world. There is a hope that one day a pool ball museum may become a reality. Every ball broadens the Pool Ball knowledge base. It doesn't matter what it is, it all matters.

Best regards,

Boxcar

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fantastic! I know everybody will appreciate your contributions.

I don't know what is about ivory balls, but I only have one and it was given to me. I think all the lore surrounding them is why I've steered clear. A.E Schmidt was still selling Zanzibar soft ivory balls in 1981. They were expensive then, but a pristine set today would be costly.

Thanks for showing interest in this thread. Rupert, the founder, may well be one of the most knowledgeable pool ball experts in the world. There is a hope that one day a pool ball museum may become a reality. Every ball broadens the Pool Ball knowledge base. It doesn't matter what it is, it all matters.

Best regards,

Boxcar
I have a cue that the butt was an ivory snooker CB from 100+ years ago. Longer than that. In the 80’s when the cue was made it was damn near 100 years old. My friend paid $20 for it, gave it to a friend a cue maker to have an ivory butt cap, years later I ended up with the cue. Had I been at the pool room that day I’d have bought the CB and never chopped it up.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue that the butt was an ivory snooker CB from 100+ years ago. Longer than that. In the 80’s when the cue was made it was damn near 100 years old. My friend paid $20 for it, gave it to a friend a cue maker to have an ivory butt cap, years later I ended up with the cue. Had I been at the pool room that day I’d have bought the CB and never chopped it up.
I agree. Ivory is way cool and it is an integral part of billiard's history. I read a lot of Kipling and one of his stories (set in India in the last part of the 19th century) talks briefly about a group of young officers deep in their cups playing ivory balls on a smoke enshrouded table. I wish I'd been there.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Ivory is way cool and it is an integral part of billiard's history. I read a lot of Kipling and one of his stories (set in India in the last part of the 19th century) talks briefly about a group of young officers deep in their cups playing ivory balls on a smoke enshrouded table. I wish I'd been there.
Me2 wouldn’t that have been an amazing experience.

I remember in the mid 80’s ivory cue balls weren’t really rare, I didn’t think about getting one, so I never did. However when my friend took his to become a butt cap I told him that was the wrong idea. Of course it will not crack like some “green”* ivory butt caps do(happened to me). But he shouldn’t have chopped up that ball.

*green meaning used too soon. Ivory needs 20 years after it’s been harvested to age and harden up 100%. I know lots about ivory(more than moat topics).

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
I love those phenolic numbered snookers, Mr B.

Regards a good single malt… have you ever tried Cardhu, dear fellow? That’s my tipple of choice. I have to enjoy it in moderation, alas, but it’s my Saturday evening reward.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love those phenolic numbered snookers, Mr B.

Regards a good single malt… have you ever tried Cardhu, dear fellow? That’s my tipple of choice. I have to enjoy it in moderation, alas, but it’s my Saturday evening reward.
Hello, My Friend,

As luck would have it, good Scotch and my medications don't play well together, however that has not always been the case. In my halcyon days, I was fortunate enough to have had a dear old friend who was a member of the Virginia Pilot Association. One of his dearest friends in life was a Scottish Ship's Captain whose family hailed from Oldmeldrum, Scotland. At that time, the ancient Oldmeldrum Distillery was still in business. Their finest was bottled, corked and sealed with red wax. To smell the cork was like a journey to the golden days of yore. It was magnificent.

More to the point, my friend and his friend had an arrangement which, for me, was the stuff of which legends are made. Indeed, I was made privy to the availability, on demand, of cases of Our God's magic, and for a number of years drank, at my pleasure, a whisky whose essence, I believe, was second to none. Ice, one of my cut glass tumblers, and my Nectar, and I was off to uncharted seas and distant lands. Oh joy divine. It will be there, waiting only for me, when the rapture comes.

But, please forgive me, I digress. To your question, I have never been graced with even so much as a sip of your beloved Cardhu. My loss, I'm sure, knowing you as I think I do, it is doubtless something very special. To your good health, Sir.

Warmest regards,

Boxcar

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, Mr B.

What a tremendous post! Thank you so much for sharing such evocative memories, dear fellow.

Although not particularly expensive at around £40, Cardhu is a superb whisky to my taste. Like yourself, old chap, my doctor frowns upon such luxuries so each bottle lasts me several weeks.

Slainte!

Last edited: