Pool Ball Collecting.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, gentlemen.

I’ve just made a VERY exciting purchase!

It is currently in Bfriesth’s office. Brent is away until the weekend so patience is needed before the grand unveiling.

It is one of the greatest discoveries of my collecting career.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
My latest acquisition, gentlemen.

A set of Romanique I in original box. I have sought these balls for so long that to finally have a set roll my way is a dream come true.

Sincere thanks, Brent.

full

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A set of Romanique I in original box. I have sought these balls for so long that to finally have a set roll my way is a dream come true.

Sincere thanks, Brent.

full
Congrats, sir! The cornerstone of any collection! Care to share a pic of the box top?

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Yes, that is a mystery for sure, sir.

A fellow collector said Steve Mizerak personally told him that he was instrumental in the design of this set and the only examples ever cast were given to professional players of a particular tournament.

I know debate has raged over which Romanique version I or II was actually the original… and I agree the box lids are rather confusing.

My own hunch is that both versions were made simultaneously and Hyatt, knowing that the IIs were the ones going into main production, chose to feature those balls on the box.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that is a mystery for sure, sir.

A fellow collector said Steve Mizerak personally told him that he was instrumental in the design of this set and the only examples ever cast were given to professional players of a particular tournament.

I know debate has raged over which Romanique version I or II was actually the original… and I agree the box lids are rather confusing.

My own hunch is that both versions were made simultaneously and Hyatt, knowing that the IIs were the ones going into main production, chose to feature those balls on the box.
Makes sense! I appreciate the insight.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
I guess there are probably a few phenolic sets in my collection that might be considered of equal value or importance to the Romanique Is, but none better.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Your box says I on it and this is a II set.I believe these were changed to look more like Brunswick Centennials at that time.
JV

Attachments

• romans_4.jpg
    romans_4.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 62

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Is that your own Romanique II set, JV?
No.. sold it. seriously though we have had a few I think they were all the II's. IIRC though a long time ago a set belonging to Joe Balsis was sold, the I's like yours. The seller I believe said that players of a tournament got to keep the balls at the end of the tournament. It was a pro player tourney.
JV

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member

Sincere thanks, Brent.

full
I’ve been away for a while. I missed you all. I also see some new faces in the group. It’s a pleasure to meet you. I am in fact charged with safeguarding RC’s new acquisition. This gave me the opportunity to take some comparison photos last night. The top two are the Romanique II and Is in my collection. The bottom is RC’s pristine/never been played Romanique I

Attachments

• IMG_2414.jpeg
    IMG_2414.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2420.jpeg
    IMG_2420.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 59

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Those photographs are simply stunning, Mr B.

I honestly believe it is nearly half a century since two complete sets of Romanique I have been pictured together. I have certainly never seen anything comparable before.

I am deeply grateful for your help and kindness, my friend.

Thank you! 🙏

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Mr B has an original Hyatt certificate of authenticity for his Romanique II set.

Super rare. Hopefully, he might be persuaded to share an image later. :)