Pool Ball Collecting.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, BMM.

I believe I know the exact set you mean, sir. I posted something about them earlier (post number 137). Here's a quick reprint.

Here's an unusual set.

Known as Krōm Première (premium chrome) and designed by a gentleman called Pierre Deveaux from Belgium, they are regulation size and weight and seem to play quite well. I believe the plan was to crowd-fund the project but, alas, it was ultimately unsuccessful and the balls were never brought to a global market.

2d8jcbm.jpg

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Monsieur Deveaux clearly made some prototype sets, though, BMM, as evidenced by the photograph.

Perhaps it could be an interesting treasure hunting project, sir? :)

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Interesting also that Monsieur Deveaux is Belgian! I wonder if he is possibly connected to Aramith? An ex employee, perhaps?

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good afternoon, gentlemen.

I wonder if I might seek your collective advice and opinions, please?

The two photographs shown below are advertised as authentic Duramith Tournaments (the TV Pro Cup version). I'm by no means certain, but harbour some slight concerns that they might not be genuine Aramiths and could possibly be good copies from China.

K2K posted up pictures of his beautiful set earlier on the thread and, to my eye at least, there are a couple of differences that gives me pause before making quite an expensive purchase.

1) The white number spot appears a little fuzzy around the edges whereas K2K's set are crisp and clear.

2) The numbers themselves also seem slightly larger and not centred perfectly in some cases.

3) The seller has more than ten sets of these available, brand new and unused, at the price of £155 Sterling (approximately $190 USD) which is significantly cheaper than the normal retail price.

So, gentlemen, are my fears unfounded? I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that the seller is anything other than honourable so I don't wish to malign anyone unfairly by posting up a link. I'm probably just being too suspicious, no doubt, and the balls are a bargain, but would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Best wishes,
RC.
]

Good afternoon RC,

It looks like the photos are either out of focus or shot on low resolution then enlarged a little too much.

To me the edge of all the stripes on the high number balls do not look crisp, they look a little fuzzy.

They might have copied a stock photo from another site, then resized it.
You could request more photos of the actual set they would send if you make a purchase.

Good luck!

P.S. K2K takes awesome photos of his sets.

Sometimes employees in charge of listing items for sale online, have no idea how important a good photo is. It can often lead to blowout sale pricing.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good afternoon, BMM.

I believe I know the exact set you mean, sir. I posted something about them earlier (post number 137). Here's a quick reprint.

Here's an unusual set.

Known as Krōm Première (premium chrome) and designed by a gentleman called Pierre Deveaux from Belgium, they are regulation size and weight and seem to play quite well. I believe the plan was to crowd-fund the project but, alas, it was ultimately unsuccessful and the balls were never brought to a global market.

2d8jcbm.jpg

Yup, that's them RC! Thanks man. Very disappointing they never came to market, I think they are very cool. With the limited amount you said produced I'd almost feel bad cutting them up lol. I think at this point they definitely would be display only. Well thanks again sir, if you happen to run across a set in your travels let me know and if we could work a deal I'd throw yards a finders fee.I knew you know lol☺

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
If he's got a big batch all priced below the market, it sure sounds like they are fakes.

I hear you, Skip, and obviously had similar concerns, sir.

I'm now leaning towards believing the balls are genuine, however, and that my fears were unfounded on this occasion. Hopefully, they're just a good old fashioned bargain!

Whatever, though, I'll keep you all up to date. Many thanks indeed for your thoughts, they're always much appreciated.

Best wishes,
RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey now boys - don't forget about me in the quest for the elusive Krom Premières - I'm in for at least one set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear you, Skip, and obviously had similar concerns, sir.

I'm now leaning towards believing the balls are genuine, however, and that my fears were unfounded on this occasion. Hopefully, they're just a good old fashioned bargain!

Whatever, though, I'll keep you all up to date. Many thanks indeed for your thoughts, they're always much appreciated.

Best wishes,
RC.

My respected Aramith contact here in the USA says that selling price of $190 USD (esp SHIPPED) is well below any wholesale price and something is encouraging the seller to move them well below any reasonable price. Exercise caution my friends

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exercise caution my friends

RC, You could also contact Aramith & see if the seller is a retailer of theirs.
If they are counterfeits, I'm sure Aramith wouldn't mind knowing about it, as well as all other potential buyers.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey now boys - don't forget about me in the quest for the elusive Krom Premières - I'm in for at least one set

HEY NOW!!! I got dibs! You get to play with your balls all the time, I wanna have some fun too- with my Krom balls. I promise to keep them nice and smooth, I will hand rub them, just the right way as not to damage but also making them look the very best possible. I won't allow my balls being slammed together nor any contact with ANY other hard objects. I will handle them only by hand with extreme care, and will bring them out to show them off whenever company is over. I will be VERY selective who the lucky fellow is that can touch my balls, with only a very few, hand selected guys that would EVER get their hands on my prized possession. I promise to only use for good, benevolent purposes. I WILL not style my hair using my balls. They will be kept in ONLY the softest of garments. I will NEVER let any women play with my balls, unless they are an APA 6 or better. I promise never to break my ball set up - they will remain together. I promise I will never sell my balls, nor take any money even for someone just to play with them, and if that dreadful day ever were to come, you will be the only one who can have my balls. So, yeah probably
ease keep me in mind ! Thanks again!

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HEY NOW!!! I got dibs! You get to play with your balls all the time, I wanna have some fun too- with my Krom balls. I promise to keep them nice and smooth, I will hand rub them, just the right way as not to damage but also making them look the very best possible. I won't allow my balls being slammed together nor any contact with ANY other hard objects. I will handle them only by hand with extreme care, and will bring them out to show them off whenever company is over. I will be VERY selective who the lucky fellow is that can touch my balls, with only a very few, hand selected guys that would EVER get their hands on my prized possession. I promise to only use for good, benevolent purposes. I WILL not style my hair using my balls. They will be kept in ONLY the softest of garments. I will NEVER let any women play with my balls, unless they are an APA 6 or better. I promise never to break my ball set up - they will remain together. I promise I will never sell my balls, nor take any money even for someone just to play with them, and if that dreadful day ever were to come, you will be the only one who can have my balls. So, yeah probably

ease keep me in mind ! Thanks again!

What a fantastic set of Ball Commandments you have penned, BMM!

May I use them as a template for my very own personalized Commandments for Balls, sir?

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, everyone. :)

Continued thanks and appreciation for sharing your ball collections and wonderful stories on the thread. Who would have thought that there were so many like-minded enthusiasts around the world?

I've finally taken a few more photographs of the single balls from my own hoard, starting here with a rather fetching Miller Lite offering. I purchased it about twenty years ago from a gentleman in Arizona for $10, quite a smart deal perhaps as I've never seen another one since.

Best wishes,
RC.

ff0f9i.jpg

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a set of Aramith with the Measles Cue Ball... for sale. They've been laying here for 5 years. Very good condition...

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a fantastic set of Ball Commandments you have penned, BMM!

May I use them as a template for my very own personalized Commandments for Balls, sir?

Yup, no problem - HAVE A BALL!!!

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello again, gentlemen.

I believe this link could be of interest, quite a detailed account of those Krom Premieres we chatted about earlier.

It appears, if I'm reading everything correctly, that the inventors succeeded in attracting nearly $14,000 of funding within just thirty-two days... and then declared the appeal unsuccessful! It all seems rather bizarre to me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kromballs/krom-the-next-evolution-of-billiard-ball-design

Thanks for posting - good stuff. Yes, this is a good portion of what I initially read about these. Too bad it never came to fruition as I thought these were so very cool and would sell like hotcakes!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After the 8 got stolen 3x in a week....

Attachments

• 20161019_205107.jpg
    20161019_205107.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 444