Pool Ball Collecting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Iron Cross design has quite an interesting and often beguiling application over the last 800 years of use since it's known introduction, with bravery and leadership being the most widely accepted symbology in most cases.

When I first came across this ball set, aptly named Iron Cross and manufactured some years ago by Vigma, I imagined a game played with these balls would be deserving of a name like The Red Baron or Battle Field with the emerging winner seeing the white cue ball with its bold Iron Cross sitting upon the baize as a reward for their victory in battle upon the table.

The Vigma Iron Cross ball set, my fellow AZBers....

52a49c281798f88e296e973e7877e135.jpg

9a7e9ac88592b38d779613e63ad45817.jpg

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, K2K.

I hope you are well, sir.

A fascinating set and certainly another new one on me. Tell me, sir, are they actually called Vigma Iron Cross billiard balls? Over here in England we would exclusively associate the term with German (or Prussian) military medals so it wouldn't really be everyone's cup of tea so to speak.

Funnily enough, though, that style of design (a cross pattée) is also used for our highest service award for bravery, the Victoria Cross, each of which is cast using metal from Russian cannon captured at the Siege of Sevastopol during the Crimean War.

On a related subject, I wonder if anyone can guess the real origins of that giant red 3 ball on the previous page?

Best wishes,
RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good evening, Rubik's Cube - you always bestow upon us a short but intriguing story that somehow incorporates a sphere of some sort.

A raconteur of the round

First I must bite on the large red 3 picture...perhaps a seal of some sort. For a submersible or diving vessel? Equalizing chamber of sorts? Google is no help on this one I'm afraid. I'll wager nothing on my guesses. Simply a WAG

Now for the Iron Cross ball set....

Yes, those are indeed named the Iron Cross offerings from our China based manufacturers ---- which is why I added a basic design interpretation in my original post: that the iron cross designs over the centuries have been (generally) adopted to award bravery in service - with ancient ties to Prussian royalty looking for ways to reward victors for various displays of honor and valor. Unfortunately, there have been a few applications of the iron cross in medal form from less than accepted military groups which tainted the original intent I believe. I chose to believe and favor the design signifies a brave victor no matter the circumstances, and since this design has been applied to billiard balls, I think they are not only unique but appropriate for battle upon the baize.

Since I am not in a position at the moment to snap an actual photograph of the box my set came in, I will post an early pic release that Vigma did with an earlier set that I haven't been able to confirm ever being manufactured - notice the cross color variation on this box...

1fc6aa7cf6e843dfc643b046c56a5c1c.png

Off to battle, my friends...

K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Here is a picture that has some resemblance.

Attachments

• USS_Sam_Rayburn_%28SSBN-635%29_missile_hatches.jpg
    USS_Sam_Rayburn_%28SSBN-635%29_missile_hatches.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 522

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Here is a very cool Avon decanter with the original box. This is cool, not rare but cool.
Mine is still full with three ounces of ''smell good" in it.

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 599

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Here is another pic which I took myself. Some where in Nevada, maybe Elko or Winnemucca?

Attachments

• 1143.jpg
    1143.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a very cool Avon decanter with the original box. This is cool, not rare but cool.

Mine is still full with three ounces of ''smell good" in it.

Describe this "smell good" scent for us, Cuebuddy.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say its slightly overbearing with a hint of rancid;) This also describes myself:p

A most excellent reply that got an early morning laugh that lingered like a rancid odor

John007

Registered
Just bought this set of Brunswicks

I found this old set of Brunswick centennial balls.
They appear new .
The unusual thing is the white parts are darker ivory coloured and the 1 ball is orange.
Did they change color with age or they came this ways ?
Any idea of the age. ?
Anyways for 25$ The set , I could not refuse !

image.jpg

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

They appear new .

The unusual thing is the white parts are darker ivory coloured and the 1 ball is orange.

Any idea of the age. ?

View attachment 440773

Put them in sunlight & they'll lighten up, I'll give you $50 for them

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, gentlemen.

My word, John, what an amazing find for just twenty-five dollars! Those old Brunswicks appear to be in pristine condition, absolutely beautiful.

Well done indeed, sir.

XPLSV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They appear new .
Any idea of the age. ?

I came across a similar set on craigslist a few months ago. The box was a bit beat up, but the balls were in like-new condition. The guy said he bought them years ago when he got his table and that was his special set for very special events and he hardly ever had time to play. Said he used them about 3 times and that is about how they looked.

I paid $30, though.

goldcrownballs_1.jpg..

Last edited:

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I just restored this antique ball rack. When I started on it I only had one set. Now I need more ball racks!

Attachments

• 15253474_10154114343720754_4601931989982440711_n.jpg
    15253474_10154114343720754_4601931989982440711_n.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 660

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just restored this antique ball rack. When I started on it I only had one set. Now I need more ball racks!

That is an impressive and beautiful collection of balls, sir! Only exceeded by the exquisitely restored BBC rack. Simply wow!

Would you be at liberty to share a few details of how you came across the rack and your efforts restoring it?

K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT.

The above advertising slogan is probably one that most of us have used at one point or another in our lives....and is actually the number one most used tagline uttered around the world. By a wide margin they say. Brought to you by none other than the brilliant minds at Guinness Beer, who began making and marketing beer out of Dublin, Ireland in 1759. I personally love their Blonde American lager served right at freezing. Served amongst friends in my home over a game of pool - naturally.

Good things take time. People say that as well.

Simonis billiard cloth since 1680

Johnnie Walker Scotch since 1820

Brunswick pool tables since 1845

And the list goes on.....as has my wait and search for the Guinness pool ball set that just arrived the other day to my anxious, and disbelieving eyes here in Texas. From England.

AZB's very own Rubik's Cube (that began this Pool Ball Collecting thread) offered to help me locate this elusive set in the 2 and 1/4" size throughout his home country and region using eBay or any number of possibilities - all of which proved to be dead ends. As had mine here in the USA with each lead turning cold - or sets that were either abused and or incomplete.

So what does a fellow collector/now good friend do in this situation? Why, he not only offers but insists that I accept his very own singular set from his private collection - and only 7500km away I might add. And, no, I can't pay for the UPS 2-day delivery either - which was nothing short of a miraculous feat of its own. And this is no throw away set or pub find either. These have never been played. Original condition and box. Here they are....with a fresh hand polish and allowed out of the box for the first time perhaps:

de7b2f1f2963da132d227bdfbd9137b0.jpg

b6c08f44893f9266aaa750fd6b7ea3bc.jpg

This set caught my eye some time ago not only for its history and special occasion use (friends over and Guinness beer) but for the simple design of their striped balls without numbers - the singular wide black stripe on ivory white. And the use of the Guinness logo on the 8 ball. These will be played, I can assure you. And never without ice cold Guinness being offered or the story of a selfless friend and collector in England....

I have met some fine folks on this forum over the years, and have become friends with most. There are those that have helped me acquire the finishing touches on collections of books, practice games, racks, billiard magazines and my favorite part of the cueist games: ball sets. Rubik's has once again, gone above and beyond. Good people on this forum - and my proverbial hat is off to you, sir!

Now..........what have I got in The Collection that needs a new home in a fellow fanatic's hoard across the Atlantic? I have a few ideas

Time for a game with the Ghost and an ice cold Guinness, my friends.

K.

Last edited: