Pool Ball Collecting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, Castlemaine.

I recall a Castlemaine Black Coffee Lager, RC, on one of my adventures last year, and in the spirit of fine cars, food and Scotch, leaves one with memories far outlasting the experience Alas, I had not the pleasure of a pool game with my Castlemaine draft, but these darlings would have made the memory so much more vivid!

Are these splendid 2"ers silk-screened by Aramith or did they use another process back then for these limited edition beauties?

I know you don't "play" with your balls, RC, but could you be tempted if a surprise 12-pack of Castlemaine Black Coffee Lager arrived on your stoop as an invitation to come out and play some XXXX Ball, sir?

I imagine the balls would be enjoying the romp on the baize nearly as much as the lucky fellows poking cues at them would be.

Here's a toast to sharing the XXXX's, RC.

Cheers, my friend!

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, gentlemen. :)

Softshot.

I heartily agree! Wouldn't that be something to behold, a fully functioning square root 64 ball? Oh, yes please. Or how about this for a crazy idea... a whole set of square root balls? There can be few games that could lay claim to being more mathematical than pool after all. Hmm, watch this space, you may just get your wish, sir.

K2K.

I trust you are well, my friend. You know how anxious I am about keeping my precious billiard balls in pristine order but, in all honesty, a twelve-pack of lager probably would temper my inhibitions a notch or two!

The Aramith Castlemaines are not silk-screened, the emblems are deep under the surface. I'm grateful for the question though, sir, as it gives me the opportunity to mention quite an interesting observation about these particular balls that I neglected to include in my pictorial post. Even though these sets are nearly twenty years of age, the sheer quality and lustre of their surface is extraordinary. My photographs most certainly do them a disservice, the finish is every bit the equal of Aramith's latest Duramith technology. I know this sounds totally implausible but the fact remains that these XXXX sets boast, for some strange reason, a slightly superior finish to contemporary Aramith collections. I've often pondered why, but can offer no explanation other than to speculate the testing of a new vitrified compound?

Perhaps fellow AZB members could enlighten us further?

Best wishes,
RC.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
69j95g.jpg

Last edited:

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
K2Kraze thank you for posting the rules to Cuemate! Really appreciate it!

Keep the thread going, I really enjoy watching your collections!:)

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
K2Kraze thank you for posting the rules to Cuemate! Really appreciate it!

Keep the thread going, I really enjoy watching your collections!:)

My sincere pleasure to share as I come across the new and unique

I've had a lot of help over this past year from a few people around the planet (literally), but none more so than Rubik's Cube hailing from the U.K. His support, assistance and fellowship across the miles has proved countless times to be truly inestimable - and in all seriousness, I think giving credit to my friend RC is best reflected by helping and sharing with others whatever I can along this adventurous path of collecting ball sets and stories of those behind them - like Duane and his vision of Cuemate brought to life and now on my table.

It is my hope that this thread can evolve a little more into that side of things where getting the stories behind the people and the ball sets they create will lead to many more unique games being played and shared with fellow enthusiasts - complete with pictures and details like Rubik's is doing with his sets and new write-ups.

Glad to see a few of them are being enjoyed

K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if my good friend Rubik's Cube realizes I'm simply helping him get things ready for a surprise pool-playing visit one day in his neighborhood pub.....when I call and say "hey, RC, it's K2K - how about you bring that Snooker Plus set down here for a match - and a pint of course?"

That way I don't have to hassle with customs

And bring a 21oz cue would you - they confiscated mine.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, K2K. :)

It will have to be the two-inch Castlemaine's if we're playing in any of the neighbourhood pubs, my friend... the Snooker Plus balls would probably get jammed in the pocket. :)

One of the disadvantages of living so far out in the countryside is the lack of choice when it comes to the type of pool one can play, the nearest nine-footer is a two-hour drive away. I'll have to get my act together one day and visit the mighty metropolis that is Fort Worth. :)

Best wishes,
RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well now Mr Rubik's, you've got my attention with the glittering and marbleized ball offerings - a specialized faction to be sure. I've been saving a particularly bright and conditioned place amongst the sets I have waiting to be rolled and ogled. They should fit right in amongst The Collection. You just had to roll those babies out didn't you...

Very nice pics BTW - certainly an upgrade from the beer bottle lensed camera of past postings. JK. Again, reminds me that so many of the ball set boxes are worthy of pictures to be shared here on the forum.

I've got work to do.

And some hunting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh ---- can you post up a close-up shot of the 8 ball from your "Galaxy Ball" set? Is there a marbleized background inside the encircled 8?

Thx!

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stumbled across this unique ball set last week that was uncovered as part of a family's planned estate sale - stated as such and such named billiard set "made in Belgium" of course and in its original box. We've all seen this neatly written description umpteen times by well intended but unknowing persons trying their hand at raising a few dollars. I realized the obvious errors in their descriptions, but the ball design caught my eye. To say they were in rough shape would be putting things kindly, for when I opened the package, I believe my dear wife's first utterance was something along the lines of "ewwwww", complete with a wrinkled nose and forehead But I had other visions....

After an hour or so of meticulous and loving work, they emerged looking what I'd say is close to "like new".

What makes these somewhat unique is their marbleized diamond enclosing the numerals along with thin, bold stripes on the 9 through 15.

How do they look....

6535527cba98e306aece376dd162e0c6.jpg

If anyone has information to their maker and origin, please feel free to holler out - and I'll start another search myself and see what I can find.

In the meantime, I'll get these beauties in play first thing tomorrow

K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, everyone. :)

Not only do I believe those balls to be exceptionally rare, K2K, I also consider them absolutely beautiful. They're rather reminiscent of a colourful version of the original Stone Colds from American Heritage. Whoever was responsible for the design really knew their craft in my view, the pearlescent number cartouches work perfectly. Bravo, sir, an excellent discovery!

I'll add my own tuppence-worth as to their historical provenance. I'm reasonably sure these were manufactured in China, probably circa 1990s. I understand that they were distributed under the Crest Billiards banner and, possibly, retailed by Imperial in America. I'll be firing off a few emails in an attempt to find out a little more about this set because I concur with Mr Petty... they're wonderful.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you both, gentlemen, for the shared words of appreciation --- if only you were closer to swing by and have a try at besting a few frames on the baize

These mystery balls DID arrive in a crestfallen box (from non other than Crest ) however the box images were of a completely different offering and not the ones enclosed within.

I think your estimation of 1990's may just prove in the ballpark, RC - and since I have every issue of both Billiards Digest and Pool & Billiard from that decade and before, I'll begin a jaunt back in time looking for clues

Time to rack em! boys...

K.

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do they look....

Umm...AWESOME !!

That is a very nice set!

I really like how they bordered the diamond with red on the 8 ball. Of a contrasting color, I think it is the best choice.

Great score. Not to knock your wife, but I'm glad her "ewwwww" did not impair you vision for the end result !! Well done K2 !

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick sharing and shout out to an early 80's friend from college - and even though we lost contact for 30 years, was never forgotten --- and then we had the good fortune to run into each a few years ago in a parking lot in a state 1000+ miles away and then again here on AZB....thank you AlphaDog for flat out being awesome and sending me a collectible ball, sir!

A beautiful example of an older Hyatt poker ball...

dffeb4be929c8b0d845818fee1649185.jpg

da049f30383c129a5ccd02439c9d9b91.jpg

She will reside on the memorable singles shelf to share with friends and guests so I can pass along stories of the sender and also have the opportunity to wax poetic on one of the greatest things about this shared passion of all things pool - fellowship. Pure and simple.

Thanks again, AlphaDog!

K.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
View attachment 448734Quite a few years ago I bought a 1906 Brunswick "Southern" table from someone and with it came alot of old extras such as these Brunswick Ivorene Darts. And another set that predate the Darts but were in an Ivorene box. Also with an ivory cue ball that probably didn't come with the set.

Attachments

• brunswick darts 017.jpg
    brunswick darts 017.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 905
  • brunswick darts 003.jpg
    brunswick darts 003.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 914
  • brunswick darts 015.jpg
    brunswick darts 015.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 1,095
  • brunswick darts 008.jpg
    brunswick darts 008.jpg