Pool Ball Collecting.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love that design. Why is it rare? Why aren't there modern reproductions of it?
Vigma made a modern reproduction of sorts a few years back, but they are now out of business. Even those are very hard to come by. This is a very early and vary rare set.
Vigma Zig Zags.

40248525395_aea2545d66_h.jpg

40248544995_24e3153ca1_h.jpg

mrpiper

Registered
Here is some GREAT information I just got from Rubik about this set above...

A fellow called Steve, from Seattle, Washington, commissioned this set some years ago.
As we are all aware, gentlemen, bringing one’s own design into production is not for the faint hearted entrepreneur… they are faced with rather a tough journey ahead just to recoup their investment, nevermind turn a profit for all the hard work, stress and effort.
The Prestige Series One balls were originally marketed at $200 per set. Only 200 examples are in existence. Alas, as so often happens after initial excitement dies away, remainder sets are devilishly difficult to sell.
Towards the end many of these were sold at just $30.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Here is some GREAT information I just got from Rubik about this set above...

A fellow called Steve, from Seattle, Washington, commissioned this set some years ago.
As we are all aware, gentlemen, bringing one’s own design into production is not for the faint hearted entrepreneur… they are faced with rather a tough journey ahead just to recoup their investment, nevermind turn a profit for all the hard work, stress and effort.
The Prestige Series One balls were originally marketed at $200 per set. Only 200 examples are in existence. Alas, as so often happens after initial excitement dies away, remainder sets are devilishly difficult to sell.
Towards the end many of these were sold at just $30.
That is great news, I'd be in for a hundo.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My latest acquisition: Dynaspheres Rhodium. These came direct from China via eBay. Supposedly this set is only distributed to the Asian market but can be had worldwide via a few online sellers. They came wrapped in plastic and present very nicely. I've yet to play with them but expect them to play just as good ay my Dynashperes Bronze which have been awesome. Each ball weighed in at 170g except for the Cue Ball, 5B, 9B and 15B which were all 169g.

52289862127_5aae035c74_b.jpg

52291326145_49e093bf96_b.jpg

52291102164_327458d7b2_b.jpg

mrpiper

Registered
My latest acquisition: Dynaspheres Rhodium. These came direct from China via eBay. Supposedly this set is only distributed to the Asian market but can be had worldwide via a few online sellers. They came wrapped in plastic and present very nicely. I've yet to play with them but expect them to play just as good ay my Dynashperes Bronze which have been awesome. Each ball weighed in at 170g except for the Cue Ball, 5B, 9B and 15B which were all 169g.

52289862127_5aae035c74_b.jpg

52291326145_49e093bf96_b.jpg

52291102164_327458d7b2_b.jpg
These are AWESOME! You are going to love them in your collection. I too have a set of their "Asian" styles and they are just great. Please if appropriate, share the source in case others here would like one of the styles unavailable generally here in the US! :)

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are AWESOME! You are going to love them in your collection. I too have a set of their "Asian" styles and they are just great. Please if appropriate, share the source in case others here would like one of the styles unavailable generally here in the US! :)

mrpiper

Registered
Very good! That's who I got my Palladium set from as well. Great seller. I don't know why but that set doesn't seem to be available anywhere right now though. I was hoping you had found a source for ALL of their Asian market sets. Maybe just a temporary supply item I hope.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good! That's who I got my Palladium set from as well. Great seller. I don't know why but that set doesn't seem to be available anywhere right now though. I was hoping you had found a source for ALL of their Asian market sets. Maybe just a temporary supply item I hope.
No idea! I was glad to have found them. A standard search on eBay yielded no results. A Google search garnered the eBay link. I thought it was odd.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I happened to come across this article while looking for something else this morning, and thought I'd add this in here. Not sure if any other reference was made in the prior hundred pages, so apologies if it is a repost.

The "Upstate" area of New York must have been the hub of much activity and industrialization back in the early Erie Canal days, and running up to when rail took over much of that business, but it is mostly forgotten now.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
DYNASPHERE Next Gen Phenolic Resin Billiard Pool Ball Set 2-1/4"
RHODIUM= Gold Version
Belgian Designed w/ Extremely High Phenolic Resin Content. ???

Mixing 50-50 Resin only produces one type of Resin unless there's a different type of Phenolic Resin.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DYNASPHERE Next Gen Phenolic Resin Billiard Pool Ball Set 2-1/4"
RHODIUM= Gold Version
Belgian Designed w/ Extremely High Phenolic Resin Content. ???

Mixing 50-50 Resin only produces one type of Resin unless there's a different type of Phenolic Resin.

There are many different types of phenolic resin.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
There are many different types of phenolic resin.
OH, ok... I've only toyed with the off the store shelves 24 hr crystal clear resin and the 5, 15 or 30 min stuff. Never had a need for anything else so never investigated.
Guess I will now.
Thanks!

mrpiper

Registered
Just saw this set available... any knowledge or thoughts about them? They seem interesting and I am sure there is a story behind this set.
1662212549133.png

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? That is a surprise. I thought these looked like a very old bakelite set. Have you seen one of these particular sets in person? Know any history of where they came from?
I have been wrong before but I have seen balls like these with kids tables in antique stores/flea markets.

mrpiper

Registered
I have been wrong before but I have seen balls like these with kids tables in antique stores/flea markets.
This makes a lot of sense as the balls are described as "appear to be about 1 3/4" size. Probably exactly that. Just never seen a set like them and I am always interested in the history of the game. Thanks for the insight.