Pool Ball Collecting.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another awesome set, Mr B.

The plastic tray with the gulley underneath the balls reminds me of the style used by Aramith in the 1970s and early 1980s. What do you think, sir?

Also, and this is a wild guess, do you think this set might be larger than 2.25 inches and perhaps designed for Russian Pyramid? I only raise this, admittedly slim, possibility as a similar modern set exists. I’ll endeavour to find an image and post it up.
I think that at the time when I first saw these they were touted as 2 1/4" balls. It's been awhile so I could be wrong. Their proportions seem a good fit for the box which appears to be the typical SALUC box. I know SALUC made smaller boxes, but I've never seen larger.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
full

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, gentlemen.

I lost all my gallery images a little while ago due to a third-party hosting site. I’ve slowly been restoring the missing stuff using AZB’s own software.

The following five pages represent a potential custom ball project I created a few years back. Pool Roulette. Forgive me for posting it again if already seen.

All feedback gratefully received.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Either these provenance cards are getting harder to draw, or I’m getting dumber.

I’m beginning to fear it might be the latter. :(

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member

I remember this. In 2014 one of the local officials decided to come up with a game which he named Olympic Pyramid. Presumably with the hope that Russian Pyramid could jump on the Olympic Games bandwagon. And there was a pyramid champion, one of the most entertaining players in the game, who was called to promote this game. Here's the video of the gameplay:

Currently there are some "ring games" played with several colored balls, so they do exist in pyramid, but the balls are NOT numbered.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Mr B…

Alas, I cannot identify your bakelite set. I THINK I might have seen their like before, dear chap, the balls certainly trigger a recollection but as you know my memory isn’t great these days.

What I do know however, sir, is that these balls are AWESOME! A true vintage bakelite example of a full set like that must be incredibly rare and eye-wateringly valuable… possibly the most expensive set I have ever seen.

Wonderful.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Mr V.

Very impressive knowledge, sir, and a fascinating video clip that was entirely new to me. Folks like you are what makes this thread so interesting.

Sincere thanks for sharing your wisdom, old chap.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both sets are in their original packaging and are unplayed. Unimpeachable provenance on the ABB Co. set. Estate provenance for the La Decalite set. I think the two sets create a nice "compare and contrast" opportunity.

The Albany Billiard Ball Co. Set (apologies for the fuzziness) ca. 1968
1670556552048.png

La Decalite Set, Froyennes, Belgium ca. 1968
1670556607918.jpeg

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were said to be true Bakelite. Yes, 2 1/4"

Comments, thoughts, identification?

View attachment 674698
If I saw them in real life I could confirm they are Bakelite, I have some Bakelite checkers from the 20’s or 30’s. And a few other Bakelite items.

The balls are super cool, my guess is they are Bakelite most likely, but I’m not positive. No matter the material they are 10/10 😍🤩

Best
Fatboy

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both sets are in their original packaging and are unplayed. Unimpeachable provenance on the ABB Co. set. Estate provenance for the La Decalite set. I think the two sets create a nice "compare and contrast" opportunity.

The Albany Billiard Ball Co. Set (apologies for the fuzziness) ca. 1968
View attachment 674796

La Decalite Set, Froyennes, Belgium ca. 1968
View attachment 674797
Are the bottom set 2 ⅛ “ or 54mm? That’s what we used to play with on the snooker tables in central California. Numbers are correct as well.

Great set! 😍😍😍

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I saw them in real life I could confirm they are Bakelite, I have some Bakelite checkers from the 20’s or 30’s. And a few other Bakelite items.

The balls are super cool, my guess is they are Bakelite most likely, but I’m not positive. No matter the material they are 10/10 😍🤩

Best
Fatboy
Thank you!