Pool cue gift!

Millster

Hi everyone! I’m looking to buy a pool cue for a friend and I have no idea what to get or anything about them. I was thinking of personalizing one if I can? Any pointers of what’s a good brand, site/store, and weight(?) is best for an experienced player. Not a beginner. Thank you!!! I hope this post makes sense. I have no clue what any of it means 🤷🏻‍♀️

MajorMiscue

Demoncrat
Gold Member
Hi everyone! I’m looking to buy a pool cue for a friend and I have no idea what to get or anything about them. I was thinking of personalizing one if I can? Any pointers of what’s a good brand, site/store, and weight(?) is best for an experienced player. Not a beginner. Thank you!!! I hope this post makes sense. I have no clue what any of it means 🤷🏻‍♀️
I could list the brand names I would recommend, Predator and Cuetec are probably most popular right now but choosing an experienced player's cue for them is just not a good plan. Too many variables, taper, tip size, tip brand and composition, wrapped or not, Irish linen or leather? Frankly, if someone were considering buying a cue for me I would much prefer a gift certificate or cash toward the purchase.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
A very nice idea but an experienced player does not need someone to pick out a cue for them. A gift certificate from Seyberts, a sponsor here would be most thoughtful.
Yep...a cue really is about personal taste and choice to an experienced player. You could buy your friend a cue that a top pro would love, and your friend might not like it's feel and feedback. Gift certificate is a great idea...

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get a gift certificate for the amount you were going to spend on the cue. If you have common friends, ask them about this person's preferences; cues are a pretty personal item. If a person's been playing for a while, they probably already have a cue that is to their liking. There are probably a dozen features of a cue that will go into the choice of a cue. Look at the "For Sale" section of this forum or eBay to see just how varied a cue selection can be.

Last edited:

LG9BallFan

Gift Cert is the way to go. That way your friend can pick the weight , tip, shaft diameter, wrap, if any, and the cue's over all looks and preferred brand. I recently bought a cue for my favorite pool playing friend. And I knew ahead of time all of these things.

I could not decide which of two cues I liked the best. So, I sent my friend a text and asked him, as if I was asking for myself, which of these two cues he liked the looks of the most.

In your case, get the gift cert. lg

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
You could buy him something else - a case, if you know how many cues/shafts he takes with him when he goes to play. Or a decent new set of balls if he has his own table.

The worst thing is spending a lot on something for someone that they don't use (or don't want to, but do to be polite), and you're in that territory choosing a cue for an experienced player.

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there's many important variables/options: joint type, shaft diameter, wrap, weight, etc.
some players dislike like Predator(construction), Meucci(too whippy), Schon(too stiff), Joss(simple designs) for different reasons. i like the gift certificate idea a lot. well meaning friends have bought me pool related gifts. thanks anyway and i know they meant well but they just didn't realize cheap chalk, etc. is not going to be used. for sure, don't buy me a cue without knowing my prefernces.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t do it……bad idea…….a set of pool balls is a better choice over a pool cue.
A cue is like a pair of shoes. You have to try them on for fit & wear them for comfort.

Just duplicating the cue weight he now plays with in a cue you’d get him isn’t smart.
Experienced players know what they like & want whereas you are operating in the dark.

Get him a set of the Aramith Tournament or Brunswick Centennials pool balls instead.
He wouldn’t be disappointed but if he already has them, then get an Aramith travel case.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but my suggestion is that an experienced player would want to pick out his own cue – I certainly would.