Pool Cue I.D. please

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I came across this pool cue. I believe it is a three pointer and will confirm that later today. I was hoping someone could help me identify this cue. My initial thoughts are Viking, three pointer, Wico....... If it were Viking, I would expect to see "Viking" on it, unless it had been refinished at some time, which I do not believe to be the case.

View attachment 494813

View attachment 494814

Last edited:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct colors for a Wico, but that’s a fuzzy image.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct colors for a Wico, but that’s a fuzzy image.

Wico colors.
True.
And I'll bet my socks no seams at the tips of the points on this cue. :wink:

What is strange is that I have a record of an RG-1000 being sold new in 1988. It is the twin of this cue.

So...probably more likely Viking made points, not Wico.

So, if viking made these points...that could blur the line between what is Wico and what ain't.

I have Gandy cues made by Ricco Cervantes, and I have Gandy cues made by Viking. I have been studying and collecting these cues. (I have no documentation they were made by Viking. Some have said they were made with Viking parts some time after Ricco left, some say made by Viking, I think they were made by Viking.)

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I came across this pool cue. I believe it is a three pointer and will confirm that later today. I was hoping someone could help me identify this cue. My initial thoughts are Viking, three pointer, Wico....... If it were Viking, I would expect to see "Viking" on it, unless it had been refinished at some time, which I do not believe to be the case.

View attachment 494813

View attachment 494814

The Gandy RG-1000 looking pool cue arrived today in damaged tube. Fortunately, it was protected with bubble wrap. The Pool Cue is in very good condition with minor blemishes. Nothing really bad enough to take a picture of. The details are as follows with supporting photographs.

Butt - straight, 14 3/4 ounces, 5/16-18 Brass Pin/Thread (believe these are Wico Points)

Shaft - Warped (3 Credit Card Width Taper Roll, Tip stays on table), 3 7/8 ounces, Brass insert, 12.5mm Tip

DSC03830.jpg

DSC03832.jpg

DSC03834.jpg

DSC03836.jpg

DSC03839.jpg

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damaged tube? That sucks. Glad the cue came out OK.

Very cool. :smile:

Thanks for the additional pics. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Shame the shaft is warped, but still a cool cue. :smile:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking for additional Gandy catalogs.

This cue, and others I have seen like it, closely match the RG-1000, but they are different.

The RG-1000 has an ebony butt sleeve and ebony points in the brochure picture.

The known brochure posted here and elsewhere does not show this exact cue.

Closest I can come is the RG-1000...but I don't know for sure that is exactly correct.

Until and unless I see some other references, I am assuming they are simply a later model RG-1000.

I do not believe these are cues made by Ricco. These are later. As I predicted in my earlier post, this cue has a brass insert.

If anybody has any other Gandy catalogs I sure would appreciate seeing them.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Sometimes I like elaborate joint collars. This is one of those times. Very nice looking, nostalgic.

All the best,
WW

onefastmfn71

21 oz ebony....old school
Silver Member
Gandy cues

Lizardking asked me to post some pics of my Gandy collection. Maybe it can help with future ID's.

I am pretty sure the newer Gandy's were either made by Viking or maybe they sold the parts. I have owned enough old Viking's to recognize their work. These have 3 points, with plastic veneers, typical of Viking.

The early cue, "I think", is an HC-145. I has an aluminum pin and shaft insert. The shaft pilot is also wood.

Attachments

• 20180630_095708 (1280x514).jpg
    20180630_095708 (1280x514).jpg
    138 KB · Views: 637
  • 20180630_095720 (1280x779).jpg
    20180630_095720 (1280x779).jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 643
  • 20180630_095809 (1280x725).jpg
    20180630_095809 (1280x725).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 611
  • 20180630_095732 (1280x600).jpg
    20180630_095732 (1280x600).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool. I'll try to get pics of mine soon. I have several. Only one of the later ones. The rest are Ricco cues.

I am trying to complete an early catalog collection.

I do believe the later cues were made by Viking.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The second cue from the right is an ebony Titlist Gandy HC-140 by Ricco Cervantes.

1525660711_20180506_133720.jpg

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ChopDoc, I suspect that HC-140 is quite rare. The catalog does not list it as being available in ebony.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The second cue from the right is an ebony Titlist Gandy HC-140 by Ricco Cervantes.

Great display, Doc. Not only would the HC-140 be rare, but I think just about any real ebony Titlist is one of the holy grails of cues.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great display, Doc. Not only would the HC-140 be rare, but I think just about any real ebony Titlist is one of the holy grails of cues.

All the best,
WW

Thank you.

Holy grail? Yeah.

And with my new thing for early Ricco Gandy cues, no way I could pass it up.

I still want a Rosewood HC-140.

I am trying to collect the catalog.

I'll post more of what I have. Out all day on the Harley today. Will be at pool hall tomorrow. Might take my Gandy cues for pics.

I may start a Gandy cue thread actually.

In addition I will be looking for a foil for the Palmer Model J. Just been crushed with work lately.

The First Catalog Model 9 is cool too. One of my favorites. Original as far as i can tell, and two shafts.
But I am not pursuing Palmers. I have what I like and want in Palmers. Besides, they have been done. I have never seen an early complete Gandy catalog collection.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lizardking asked me to post some pics of my Gandy collection. Maybe it can help with future ID's.

I am pretty sure the newer Gandy's were either made by Viking or maybe they sold the parts. I have owned enough old Viking's to recognize their work. These have 3 points, with plastic veneers, typical of Viking.

The early cue, "I think", is an HC-145. I has an aluminum pin and shaft insert. The shaft pilot is also wood.

I do believe that is an HC-145 as well. And a nice one. :smile:

Here is one that has been for sale. Notice the slightly shorter butt cap: http://www.classiccues.com/cuemakers/cues_under_1000.htm

Mine has the longer butt cap like yours. Sorry for picture quality.

picture.php

I have from the Ricco Cervantes Gandy era:
HC-150, two shafts
HC-140, one shaft
HC-110, two shafts
HC-145, two shafts

I also have a later one, Viking type/style with vinyl veneers and window. Two shafts. I do not have pics of it, but this is just like it. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=227484 Notice that is called an HC-145. It definitely is not. Mine has two shafts. I have not yet found a model for this cue or any catalog references for it. I have identified two versions, one early, and one late based on the font on the window. This font type evolved with Viking. Mine is the earlier type, the type used in the seventies, the type on the cue I posted the link to. So I think mine is a seventies cue.

This is an example of the later font on the same model cue: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdva_ent/sets/72157612123079591/ I believe that is later...roughly eighties. An expert on dating fonts in Viking window cues would be a great help I think.

And I have a possible HC-115 "variant" that I think is actually a National cue.

There are ten cues in the catalog, I have only four so far. I really need to get some proper pics of my Gandy cues.

My true interest is in the earliest Gandy cues by Ricco Cervantes. He worked for them from 1969 to 1973 by his own word. The Blue Book says 1971 to 1973 but according to Ricco, that is incorrect, and I have documentation of that in his own hand. I want to collect the entire ten cue set.

But if anybody has a later Gandy catalog or Gandy brochure I would be very interested in a high res scan or possibly to purchase the original. I would love for the later cues to have some documentation regarding dates and model designations. I am also possibly interested in National cues and/or any documentation associated with them.

To review:
I do believe the later cues were made by Viking for at least ten years. I believe Gandy made and/or sold the cues we are talking about from 1969 to about 1988. Ricco Cervantes made Gandy cues from 69-73.

onefastmfn71

21 oz ebony....old school
Silver Member

Chopdoc, that is why I wasn't sure if my "HC-145" is really a Gandy. The National cues share a lot of similarities and there just isn't much documentation on these old cues. Ricco is gone so we can't ask him. I am pretty sure mine is a HC-145 Gandy, but I like it either way. It is made from a really nice piece of dark rosewood and has a leather wrap.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc, that is why I wasn't sure if my "HC-145" is really a Gandy. The National cues share a lot of similarities and there just isn't much documentation on these old cues. Ricco is gone so we can't ask him. I am pretty sure mine is a HC-145 Gandy, but I like it either way. It is made from a really nice piece of dark rosewood and has a leather wrap.

I would call it a Gandy.

Anyway, I am planning to get all mine together for pics. I want to complete the catalog, the Ricco catalog. But I am interested in the later ones too.

I'll probably do a Gandy thread soon, once I get some better pics.

Still looking for more Gandy catalogs or brochures beyond the known one we have all seen.

I just got an HC-120, original sticker on it so it is a 120 for sure. But it has a 3/8x10 joint, white collar, and thin white joint ring in black instead of a metal ring. Got it from original owner that bought it in 1987. It otherwise looks like the 120 in the early catalog. So that model was made for almost 30 years, with variations. This cue has a bumper that looks like a Mali. So far we know Ricco made them. We suspect that National did as well, with Viking parts. It has also been said Viking made them for 10 years. I contacted Viking. Viking has made many brands like some Excalibur. But no evidence...yet. I have two that are dead ringers for Viking. Now I have one that looks like a Mali.

Lots of history still to dig up.