Pool DVD Movie advisory...

karambolista

noypi toits
Silver Member
The pool movie Shooting Gallery is now available.

Here's a the synopsis from Netflix:
Pool shark Jericho Hudson (Freddie Prinze Jr.) knows his way around a billiard hall. His command of the game has made him a legend of sorts, a status he milks for all it's worth until he finds there are more menacing creatures in the waters. Now, Jericho must figure out how to navigate through them -- especially with a corrupt vice cop and his boss gunning for him. Ving Rhames, Devon Sawa and Angus Macfadyen co-star.

I placed it to the no.1 spot on my queue right when I first saw it on this months issue of Inside Pool.

BYGJERRY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not that hot meng...although Roselyn Sanchez comes and she alone is worth the price of admission. The movie is OK but Prinze JR's game is weak and it shows.....IMO of course.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I got a copy a few days after xmas. Its an OK movie, the pool action isnt terrific, just a little worse then Poolhall junkies.

It's decent, but in know way can you compare it to COM or The Hustler.

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The overall movie is pretty decent. My man said it right when Roslyn Sanchez is worth the price of admission alone! Unfortunately she doesn't show as much skin in the love scene as you'd like. Ving Rhames' character is pretty cool. I have to say that the pool shots were a joke! But like I said, overall a decent flick to watch at home with some buffalo wings.

mrpool06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to say, but I thought the movie was terrible........I didn't even finish watching it. It even ripped off the opening of COM (the narrative speaking part). It seems that there were a few other similarities to COM & The Hustler.

The acting & plot were weak. I wouldn't bother. But thats your choice. :rolleyes:

cajunbarboxplyr

Beatem down wit a Varney
Silver Member
Freddy didnt shoot in any shots of the flick.

I was playing on a table on the side of the guy who was the Technical advisor(IE the shooter like Mike Sigel and Tom Cruise) at the COrner Pocket in Kenner, La. Glenn Robin who was suppose to be in the flick was there also as he pretty much resides here. Not from what I was told Freddy is a complete asshole but cant shoot fer penny nails. THat coming from the guy who claims he shot all the shots and then again Glenn Robin vouched fer him as bein there also...........

Guess I shall waste the doh and watch it :p

Jamie

O

onepocketchump

How can anything be worse than PoolHall Junkies? Even Kiss Shot with Whoopie Goldberg was a better hustler movie than poolhall junkies.

John

jnav447

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was disappointed in "Shooting Gallery", but...if you're a pool fan, you gotta pay your dues and watch it, if nothing else just so you can join in the conversation when people are discussing the movie. Rent, do not buy, cuz I don't think you're gonna want to watch it again, unless you've got guests you want to get rid of. JMO.

seiyaryu55

D ranked ball banger =P
Silver Member
I hated it, but i watched it like 3 times... I think its kind of tied with poolhall junkies. In freddy's defense, he did shoot SOME shots. Like the one when he was playing the mark in the shooting gallery (last shot on the 9). If yur like a real hardcore pool fan or w/e youll prob watch it just for the heck of it. Nothing beats the hustler (so far anyway).

George

Balance is everything
Silver Member
karambolista said:
The pool movie Shooting Gallery is now available.

Here's a the synopsis from Netflix:
Pool shark Jericho Hudson (Freddie Prinze Jr.) knows his way around a billiard hall. His command of the game has made him a legend of sorts, a status he milks for all it's worth until he finds there are more menacing creatures in the waters. Now, Jericho must figure out how to navigate through them -- especially with a corrupt vice cop and his boss gunning for him. Ving Rhames, Devon Sawa and Angus Macfadyen co-star.

I placed it to the no.1 spot on my queue right when I first saw it on this months issue of Inside Pool.

Thanks for the heads up :rolleyes:

George

mr_stanley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the movie a few weeks ago and I thought for certain during two different 9 ball games that they were shooting the balls out of order. The one in particular I noticed first was a jump shot into the side pocket making the 3 ball and it appears that the 2 and 4 balls are between the cue position and the side pocket. I even hit rewind and watched it in slow motion to make sure that's what I saw. The 2nd shot I thought was wrong was later in the movie and I can't recall exactly what happened but just noticed it didn't look right either. Did anyone else notice the jump or any other shots that were not properly executed?

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
I hated Poolhall Junkies when it came out. I thought the premise and the cast were perfect- just not pool savvy. Would have been nice for them to do a little more homework and see what a real 'hustle' is, and one that you can actually get away with. The end was good and gay at the same time. However- all of my non-poolplaying friends loved it.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
onepocketchump said:
How can anything be worse than PoolHall Junkies? Even Kiss Shot with Whoopie Goldberg was a better hustler movie than poolhall junkies.

John

i dont agree, i prefere phj over hustler, com and others. james brown songs, with a funy plot, i love it.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
1.Hustler
2.COM
3.PHJ
4.Baltimore Bullet
5.Shooting Gallery
6.Stickmen
This is just my opinion,the first 3 are ones ive watched more then 20 times,the last 3 are pretty bad,Stickmen is horrific.