Pool Education Memory

Kentucky Rack Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Well, it was the fall of 1983, WOW 40 years ago. I was the night shift house man. Walk in the door and you see a 5 x10 steepleton snooker table. Next you came to the line of 4 x 8 steepletons and the pool player education begins. Table one was open for the up coming wanna b nine ballers playing quarter on the 3,6,9. Next table was .50 on the 3,6,9. Usually young teens and had developed a decent stroke and starting to show potential. Next on table 3 in front of the cash register was the Main Event. Daily was a $1 on the 3,6,9. Road players came thru this little town of Morehead on a regular basis. Action was available. The front 3 tables from Oct thru March balls were in motion all day. In addition, the next table had an Amos and Andy board for the guys that depended more on the love to gamble but could not play with the big boys. After that you would have a check game going. The back three table were for the general public and beginners. My shift started at 4 pm and my pay was half the rack money. Nine Ball was .10 a game and .05 per cue for extra players when I started racking ball. Around my waist was a Carr Lumber Company Nail Apron. After every game One of the players, usually to winner yelled ”RACK“. All balls were racked by the house man in those days. As the “Rack Man” you were the enforcer of the rules and referee. The atmosphere was a smoked filled and tobacco juices spit in the trash can and men could leave the house and be what men do when not under the watchful eye of the wife. Language and profanity were the norm. I made some life long friends in the City Pool Hall in Morehead, KY. As time passed the video games game and electronics and the 70’s pool scene I grew up in diminished. As I sit here at the keyboard I can see the Frosite Root Beer Clock on the wall and the Lance Machine with Peanuts and Nabs. They say the evidence of a old pool player is the sign of an ill spent youth. Well, now you know. Signing off ” The Kentucky Rack Man “

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 84

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i spent many hours in city pool hall on main street and went next door to the the other pool room for food. heck i even got invited to the police station about 3 doors up one night. lol. it was the early 70's when i was there. marty was one of the rack men along with ralph(great snooker). ran around with marty , his cousin bobby . i remember a manuel as well.
lots of good players there and in the huge room by jerry's. by the way is mckenzie's open again in west liberty?

Kentucky Rack Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
i spent many hours in city pool hall on main street and went next door to the the other pool room for food. heck i even got invited to the police station about 3 doors up one night. lol. it was the early 70's when i was there. marty was one of the rack men along with ralph(great snooker). ran around with marty , his cousin bobby . i remember a manuel as well.
lots of good players there and in the huge room by jerry's. by the way is mckenzie's open again in west liberty?
Wow, Marty is my older brother and I married Ralph’s daughter. I think that Mackenzie’s in West Liberty does still make burgers and some guys hang out. Jody Jenkins had opened a pretty hot spot for a while. His young relative is Kashton Keaton has become a strong young gun from that area. Manual used to play bank pool with Ralph. They both are no longer with us. The large room by Jerry’s restaurant was the Amusement Center and where the targeted the college crowd.

Kentucky Rack Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Started going there in 73. Was only 13 then. Helped out some while in school and at 16 started the pool craze. Ended up working there. During the Winter I could make some pretty good income up til around March and things slowed. Marriage and children forced me to get a real job.