Pool in Peru Report

Nyquil

I was in Cusco, Peru for a week last week. I like to play pool for an hour whenever I go on vacation, and looked for a spot. Google said there were 2 rooms in town. The first I went to was a carom room. Unfortunately, it was closed. IDK if it was permanently closed, or maybe it was closed for the night. There was no signage or anything outside. It was hard to tell. The second room I went to was open. I got there about 8:30 PM, and they closed at 9:30PM. I was the only customer. They had 4 tables, and a section to play dominos. Maybe in Peru the customers are there during the day, instead of at night? IDK.

The tables were very strange. They were 9' snooker tables, I think. The whole setup was weird. The balls were standard 2.25" pool balls. The cut in the slate was snooker cut. The pocket facings were partially rounded, but very inconsistent from pocket to pocket. Definitely closer to a snooker round than a pool pocket facing. The cushion nose had no flat spot like a snooker cushion. It came to a point like a pool cushion. The pocket basket only fit 3 balls.

The result was the worst pool experience I've ever had. The balls were almost impossible to pocket, because the pockets were snooker sized, and the balls were pool sized, and the facings on the pockets were all over the place. The rails were bad. The ball jumped every time it hit, even on slow shots. I went to the counter and asked the lady working there if they had snooker balls. I showed a picture on my phone because we had a language barrier, and she said they only had the same balls she already gave me, not the red balls. I packed up after about 20 min.

The best I can figure is the table was originally a 9' snooker table. It had cushions replaced at some point, and the installer put pool cushions instead of snooker cushions, and also butchered all the pocket "rounds". I was also considering it might be a small Russian Pyramid table. But the pocket facings didn't match that at all. (I don't know what Pyramid cushion nose/flat looks like).

In conclusion, I highly recommend a vacation to Peru. The sight seeing is great, the food is 5 star and dirt cheap, the uber rides are dirt cheap. But stay away from pool:)

View attachment 700456

View attachment 700457

View attachment 700458
Hope you enjoyed your trip. I have been graced with a similar table at some shit hole bowling alley down the street where I live. They use the old nappy cloth to boot. I played one game and said f*ck this, lol.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I visited Cusco in 2019 and very much enjoyed it. That elevation does get to you though. Harder to breathe for sure and I even had odd joint pain

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I visited Cusco in 2019 and very much enjoyed it. That elevation does get to you though. Harder to breathe for sure and I even had odd joint pain

Gail and I visited Cusco and Machu Pichu about four years ago — second morning she came down with a bad case of elevation sickness.

Fortunately the hotel had medical on staff and after some oxygen and breakfast she was good to go.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• 36FAB422-1C9B-4F98-9AD7-E82B3FA74B59.jpeg
    36FAB422-1C9B-4F98-9AD7-E82B3FA74B59.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 47

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gail and I visited Cusco and Machu Pichu about four years ago — second morning she came down with a bad case of elevation sickness.

Fortunately the hotel had medical on staff and after some oxygen and breakfast she was good to go.

Lou Figueroa
Great to hear she ended up being fine.

It takes a little while to adjust