pool room dimensions

I've been kicking the tires on opening a pool room in my hometown. I'm curious what you guys think about minimum size(square footage) for something in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 4.5X9's and 10 or so 3.5X7's? I've been to a bunch of poolrooms over the years but my mind was never on this at the time so idk just looking for some pretty general guidance. I've found a good number of spaces in the 6000sf range but after that it goes into Grocery store size locations(20k and up) and I don't think I want to pay that much rent. Do you guys think 6000 feet is enough? assuming it's wide open of course. Having a hard time conceptualizing it on a piece of paper if that makes sense. Thanks again for any and all comments/thoughts.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been kicking the tires on opening a pool room in my hometown. I'm curious what you guys think about minimum size(square footage) for something in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 4.5X9's and 10 or so 3.5X7's? I've been to a bunch of poolrooms over the years but my mind was never on this at the time so idk just looking for some pretty general guidance. I've found a good number of spaces in the 6000sf range but after that it goes into Grocery store size locations(20k and up) and I don't think I want to pay that much rent. Do you guys think 6000 feet is enough? assuming it's wide open of course. Having a hard time conceptualizing it on a piece of paper if that makes sense. Thanks again for any and all comments/thoughts.
16 total tables - eight 9-foot tables and eight 7-foot tables will give you plenty of options for leagues and tournaments for both. Any more tables than that would be extremely tough with 6000 total square feet. Ideally, you’d like to have at least 6 feet between the sides of your tables and 7 feet between the ends of the tables if you have two rows of tables, and another 2-1/2 - 3 feet at the ends of each row of tables for seating for the players

Keep in mind you won’t have 6000 square feet just for your pool tables and seating, maybe 3500 at the most. You will need to have restrooms, an office, a storage / maintenance room, not to mention a bar, dining area and at least a small kitchen. Believe me, you will not make anywhere near enough $ revenue off of the pool time alone to pay your bills!

Last edited:
Thank you Chris, those are excellent points for sure. No pool room can make it on table time alone that much is a lock for sure. I’m still looking of course. There was 1 place that would be pretty perfect 7400 total but the owner wouldn’t allow a bar in that spot sadly. Running into a lot of that so far.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Chris, those are excellent points for sure. No pool room can make it on table time alone that much is a lock for sure. I’m still looking of course. There was 1 place that would be pretty perfect 7400 total but the owner wouldn’t allow a bar in that spot sadly. Running into a lot of that so far.
It would be hard to make it work without a bar and without at least some food options. We do not have alcohol in our pool room, so our grill is our main $ source, accounting for roughly 90% of our revenue.

Most of our regular customers that spend the most $ here have never played pool here, but we are certainly not your average pool room.

It would be hard to make it work without a bar and without at least some food options. We do not have alcohol in our pool room, so our grill is our main $ source, accounting for roughly 90% of our revenue.

Most of our regular customers that spend the most $ here have never played pool here, but we are certainly not your average pool room.
Was just in Charlotte last week

Depends on width of space....

Graph out your layout

I had 17 tables and a small bar in under 4000 Sq feet, room was 32x110
I’ve tried and tried with graph paper I just get frazzled trying to think of everything to be honest. When I’m in a room I can do it with a tape measure if that makes sense just having a hard time on paper.

That’s impressive use of space there sir!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve tried and tried with graph paper I just get frazzled trying to think of everything to be honest. When I’m in a room I can do it with a tape measure if that makes sense just having a hard time on paper.

It should be easy to do on paper once you know the exact dimensions of the building and any other pertinent information, such as where the entrance and exits are, where the plumbing is for where the bathrooms are or would be, and where the kitchen/bar would be. You can figure the 9 foot tables to be basically 9-1/2’ x 5-1/2’ and the 7 foot tables to be 8’ x 4 1/2’.

With you guy’s suggestions I’ve finally been able to draw out some “mock spaces” based on “ideal” spacing It seems like 6000 feet for an 8/8 setup will be plenty. Meaning 6000 feet dedicated to the tables and nothing else. This is very helpful for my location search. Thanks again guys

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With you guy’s suggestions I’ve finally been able to draw out some “mock spaces” based on “ideal” spacing It seems like 6000 feet for an 8/8 setup will be plenty. Meaning 6000 feet dedicated to the tables and nothing else. This is very helpful for my location search. Thanks again guys
6000 sf dedicated just for the pool tables and seating area for the players (70x85, 60x100 or 50x120) should easily be enough for 20 tables, 10 each of both 7’ and 9’ tables.

Pierre Shakes

Registered
Six feet between the outside of tables is extravagant, but nice you have lots of room. My biz does very well with 60" between the playfields, that is cushion edge to cushion edge.

BeastBilliards

Wow. Seventeen tables in 4000 sq ft. I am looking at a spot that is 3800 sq ft with 3000 available to place pool tables(photos attached). Already has a kitchen and bar area. How many 9 ft and 7ft tables do you think will fit comfortably in a space like this?

Attachments

• Peach Outlet Outbuilding Photo 1.jpeg
    Peach Outlet Outbuilding Photo 1.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Peach Outlet Outbuilding Photo 2.jpeg
    Peach Outlet Outbuilding Photo 2.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 104