Pool room owner need advise

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I opened my pool room 2 years and its the only pool room on the island and we have not had one for 15-20 years.

I used to be able to lose myself on the pool table and it was my escape. I find myself not enjoying the game like I used to that I even sold all my personal playing cues.
I do not play with my costumers and the only thing I look forward to is events outside the state.

How do I get over this mental block of mine or is it even possible because I turned my passion into a business. I still enjoy watching people play and still watch the stream but my heart is not in it when I play.

Any advise you guys can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I opened my pool room 2 years and its the only pool room on the island and we have not had one for 15-20 years.

I used to be able to lose myself on the pool table and it was my escape. I find myself not enjoying the game like I used to that I even sold all my personal playing cues.
I do not play with my costumers and the only thing I look forward to is events outside the state.

How do I get over this mental block of mine or is it even possible because I turned my passion into a business. I still enjoy watching people play and still watch the stream but my heart is not in it when I play.

Any advise you guys can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you

What you could do is to offer free instruction to those that may need it. After teaching for a while you may find yourself back playing again. A spark may be rekindled.

John

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing well is not the problem. Enjoying playing is the problem. I partnered up with the local boys and girls club and I will be teaching the kids there. I will also give their top kids free 3 month memberships to my pool room. I will channel my energy towards the kids for now and hope I will find the drive once again.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Playing well is not the problem. Enjoying playing is the problem. ...
You might try playing games you don't normally play, like nine ball if you're a 14.1 guy or bank pool if there's anyone around who plays it.

Are you in Hawaii? (You mentioned being on an island.)

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Go in deep

Playing well is not the problem. Enjoying playing is the problem. I partnered up with the local boys and girls club and I will be teaching the kids there. I will also give their top kids free 3 month memberships to my pool room. I will channel my energy towards the kids for now and hope I will find the drive once again.

I found if I find a really good sparring partner and we play long periods I can get my head into it, other than that I'm not real interested is short pickup games or tournaments. When I want to play I want to play. That is what kept me going until my partner got busy with his business.

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious -- what do most of your customers play?

They play a variety of games. 9-ball, 10-ball and majority of them play 15 ball rotation ring game. money ball is the 5-10-15 and another money ball for who has the most points. no safeties. shoot out.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it's just that you had different goals for pool previously. And, now those goals no longer apply. Maybe make some new goals, such as just enjoying playing.