Pool rooms in Washington DC area

Pupu1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for pool rooms in DC area.

Going to up in the Navy Yard for half a year

Older style pool halls preferred, dont necessarily need a full bar and restaurant type setting.

9’ tables are a must.

ballston

Registered
Pup--I live in N. Virginia so I'm mostly familiar with the places on the VA side of the river. There are three places I know well, have played APA in them: Continental in Rosslyn (closest to DC); Fast Eddies (Revolution) in Fairfax; and the Cue Club in Annandale. All are the bar and restaurant variety, but have 9 footers and are decent enough for league play and capable players.

You might be interested in a new (opened in the past year or so) place--Street Lights Billiards Academy in Springfield. It's for members only at $150/month, but is a real billiards hall. It hosts pro players for clinics (van Boening, Strickland, Varner) and expos and I think hosts TAP and BCA. It's open 24/7 to members, but again, for a price.

All of these places require something of a drive but a lot of players from DC play there.

Hope this helps.

ballston

Registered
You're welcome.

There are a number of places in DC itself of course, but I've never played at any of them. (Most I gather are more restaurants/sports bars that happen to have a few tables). There are two, however, that I've heard about the most and have met players who play/played there and may fit what you're looking for: Atomic Billiards in Cleveland Park on Connecticut Ave, and Bedrock Billiards in Adams Morgan. Of these, Atomic hosts APA on Tuesday nights and I think both have 9 footers. If it helps, Atomic is accessible by Metro (subway), as is Continental in Rosslyn (Arlington).

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact JAM (Jennie Ann), she and Keith McCready live in or near DC and likely know about pool things in the area

@JAM

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In D.C. proper, meaning downtown, most pool places are bars these days. Not much by way of a player's room.

Best player's room is Qball pool room. It's about 2 miles off the Washington Beltway (I-495) exit on the Maryland side of D.C. https://www.quball1.com/

A lot of folks are raving about a new room in Gaithersburg, MD, 7 Billiards Shady Grove. It has a bar-like atmosphere but mega tables with regular tournaments. It is located at 15966 Shady Grove Road, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877; phone, (301) 355-6177.

Street Lights Academy is the latest popular room, not near D.C. but a comfortable drive to Alexandria, VA. It's where Jayson Shaw did his straight pool run exhibition. https://billiardsacademydc.com/

Hope this helps. :)

Ghost of OBC

All of the advice in this thread is very good. QBall is a great room, but not super convenient from Navy Yard. Rocket Bar in Chinatown is just okay. Very disrespected GC tables. They are 9 footers, but usually dirty, nappy cloth. I play there a lot anyway. Continental in Rosslyn has a mix of 7, 8, and 9 footers. They have APA Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and sometimes a tournament on the weekend. Bedrock up in AdMo has really well looked after GCs with quick cloth. You can usually find a game up there. I've not been to Atomic in years, but a friend of mine plays APA there, 9 footers.

Out in the burbs, there's all sorts, but if you're in Navy Yard you probably aren't looking for a road trip to find a game. Welcome to the city. Check out Shilling Canning and Bammy's in your neighborhood. I've always enjoyed them both. I'm at the Wharf, so hit me up if you need a game.